Clifford is acting CRAZY.

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Sun Conure (Clifford), two budgies (Odin and Diana), and CAG (Bongo)
I came home yesterday evening from work and I noticed several (about 4) of Clifford's blue feathers at the bottom of the cage. I sat and talked to him for a bit and he mumbled back to me but wouldn't come out. I cleaned out his cage, then cleaned out the budgies cage and brought them all back some berries. The budgies automatically ate them all up like they never had any before, but Clifford did not. He seemed to think it was funny to throw them at me. After that I tried to give him carrots he threw those too, then he started throwing his seed around. He wanted NOTHING to do with me so I just went about my buisness and left his cage door open. Every time I walked out of his sight he screamed bloody murder. I ignore him when he does this because it seems like he throwing a tantrum because hes not getting his way. Well ignoring him seemed to make him even more mad because he started flapping around and throwing his toys around to make the bells ring. If I walked back into the living room he stopped and calmly mutterd cute noises to me. He never came out of his cage, at about 630 I sat down to watch a movie and Clifford settled into his tent and went to sleep, I got up to get a drink and he woke up and started screaming because I wasn't in the room. He even screams when hes covered up.
My poor baby wants attention so bad, but at the same time he still seems scared, and Im worried about his feathers because there were 2 more this morning. Is he pulling them or just molting? Is he stressed out? What can I do? :( I don't like to see him this way.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Nothing you can do exept being ther form him and give him oroportunities, he is making the choice

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I know ignoring screaming is often good advice, but conures do seem to need to contact call when you are out of the room. You probably should talk back. Rowdy and I call, "Hey hey" to each other, which is nicer than her screech. They get pretty frantic when they can't see you, and need to know you are ok.

Throwing food could be an expression of anger, or it could be for fun. You will need to look at the rest of his body language to determine that.

I would keep an eye on him though in case he isn't feeling well. Make sure he's eating and drinking and doesn't seem weak or overly sleepy.

How old is Clifford? It's about that time for conure hormones to kick in. I think Suns mature at age 2-3 so if he's in that range, that might be the problem.

OP
Cliffordsmom

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
If Im in another room and he is screaming i just say "I hear you" and he stops for a minute.
The food thing I think is a game to him, because he makes the noise that I swear is him laughing afterwards, then spins in circles. I just told him that I dont need any, and He needs his vitamins so eat it.
Clifford is 3 he hatched march 6 2009 so he just turned 3 so maybe that is it. added to the confusion of a new home...poor thing.
Hes the cutest when I come home after working the night shift, and he pokes his fluffy head out of his tent and mutters little noises at me. I tell him "hi sleepy bird" and he makes kissy noises. That's when I wish I could cuddle him the most. He's just so darn cute.
I'm just worried that hes stressed out and I wish there was something I could do to make this transition faster/easier for him so we can get on with the fun stuff.
Could he be losing his feathers due to the stress, maybe yesterday when he tried to brutally murder the dogs was too stressful for him?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Ok, he may be hormonal right now. Rowdy started last week.

As for whether he's molting or plucking, you will have to watch him. They don't lose feathers over stress, or least I've never heard of that. When they are molting though you do have some days where it seems like a ton of feathers came out.

OP
Cliffordsmom

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Thank you Roxy :-D your very helpful!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I agree with Roxy. As usual! It's that time of year again! Between hormones & molting, we're all going through a difficult period. Have patience. These things will pass. But, watch the feathers. He could be molting, but, stress of moving, hormones, etc. could provoke plucking. He'll be okay.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
maybe yesterday when he tried to brutally murder the dogs was too stressful for him?

I know this is stressful for you, but I laughed so hard at that because I know *exactly* what you're talking about. Kazi tries to murder my cats every day. He mostly ignores the dogs. Mostly. He did nail my chi mix on the butt the other day.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My amazon and my cat try to murder each other at the same time every day. I can't possibly have them in the same room without the bird being in the cage. They see this as a game, and I see my cat missing her nose and toes and the bird suffering a bad scratch, and my rushing them both to the vet.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Lucky for Kazi and the cats, the cats are terrified of him and bolt as soon as they see him. We have 4, he's only bitten two, but all of them are terrified of him.

I always figured I'd be chasing the cats away the bird. Not the other way around, but if he sees a sleeping cat he'll climb down his play gym and head off across the floor after them if I'll let him. He has one that is his most hated, though and he loses it completely if he sees me pet her. She's never done anything to him, he just took an instant dislike to her.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My cat is much braver than she ought to be. Most cats will run from a parrot, not actively try to engage in battle with one, lol!

Most Reactions

Latest posts