Clingy tiel!

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a 2-3 month old male cockatiel named Kiko :)

Kiko is tamed with our family, but not outsiders.

He is VERY clingy with my younger brother, who spent the most time with him when we were taiming him. He loves my brother and wants to be with him at ALL times. My brother canā€™t eat or do anything alone. Every time he puts Kiko in the cage, he starts to freak out and scream super loudly and run around in his cage. He will not give up the screaming, until my brother is not infront of his eyes.

Can someone please help me with this behaviour? I would like him to stay in his cage for at least a little bit, he only goes in willingly when he wants to sleep at night! Other than that, he is out of his cage for the whole day.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
These sort of situations where the bird is extremely hung onto someone in the household is something very difficult to handle, but with patience it can take time to resolve.
Allow your brother to be out of the room sometimes and you and other family can work alone with the bird little by little each day and give lots of treats from each of you for positive association purposes. This sort of bonding will take time but worth a try.
Each day, lengthen the time that you and family except your brother will be working with the bird. Routines are great and with birds, they are most of the time necessary for building good foundational relationships and reduce stress.
As for screaming, never pay any attention to the bird during those outbursts. Instead, ignore, as difficult as it is. (Trust me I know)
And give treats for quiet time and any sort of progress you witness. The bird will eventually understand that quiet means getting out of the cage and getting yummy treats.
Progress isn't linear, so expect a few bumps on the road while doing these things and improving your birds behavior.
I can speak from experience. My cockatoo especially hates anyone else and only yearns for my attention. But with time, I was able to (and still doing so) find a middle ground with him let's say.
Hope this can be of some help to you.
:)

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
These sort of situations where the bird is extremely hung onto someone in the household is something very difficult to handle, but with patience it can take time to resolve.
Allow your brother to be out of the room sometimes and you and other family can work alone with the bird little by little each day and give lots of treats from each of you for positive association purposes. This sort of bonding will take time but worth a try.
Each day, lengthen the time that you and family except your brother will be working with the bird. Routines are great and with birds, they are most of the time necessary for building good foundational relationships and reduce stress.
As for screaming, never pay any attention to the bird during those outbursts. Instead, ignore, as difficult as it is. (Trust me I know)
And give treats for quiet time and any sort of progress you witness. The bird will eventually understand that quiet means getting out of the cage and getting yummy treats.
Progress isn't linear, so expect a few bumps on the road while doing these things and improving your birds behavior.
I can speak from experience. My cockatoo especially hates anyone else and only yearns for my attention. But with time, I was able to (and still doing so) find a middle ground with him let's say.
PXL_20220328_192915120.MP.jpg

My boy. See? Clingy. Lol

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Honestly sometimes I'm like so....."whats the problem?" but I understand. Sometimes you feel bad because your not there all the time. Sometimes you have to do stuff. Fortunately in these situations i live alone so no one's feeling are hurt.

Cookoo4cocopuffs.

Mar 28, 2022
Orange county C.A
Parrots
right now wehandy have only 1 baby cockatiel. We got her in a very rough condition .
Hello! I have a 2-3 month old male cockatiel named Kiko :)

Kiko is tamed with our family, but not outsiders.

He is VERY clingy with my younger brother, who spent the most time with him when we were taiming him. He loves my brother and wants to be with him at ALL times. My brother canā€™t eat or do anything alone. Every time he puts Kiko in the cage, he starts to freak out and scream super loudly and run around in his cage. He will not give up the screaming, until my brother is not infront of his eyes.

Can someone please help me with this behaviour? I would like him to stay in his cage for at least a little bit, he only goes in willingly when he wants to sleep at night! Other than that, he is out of his cage for the whole day.
Well it looks like this is going to be a great site. As our cockatiel is the same way and she's nit my bird she belongs to my daughter . And we all kinda get bent outta shape cuz she wants nobody else if I'm in sight . An she will stop at nothing to get to me. I mean yes it makes me feel good but it's not doing the same for the rest of the family . She gets down to business if you try and pet touch or even come near her while on me. To the point of draws blood. So we are looking for way to calm her down and enjoy the rest of the family as a unit not all separate. She's fine with everybody up until she heats me coming then she changes into a crazy bird šŸ¦. She is or was pretty young when we got her from bird store. And she was returned by an impulse family. She came with no tail feathers and she had plucked most of her wing feathers out. She was looking pretty tattered. So I'm not sure if it is a trauma induced behavior or what . So same type of a boat were in. Good luck ill keep you posted if we find a solution. Thanks

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Well it looks like this is going to be a great site. As our cockatiel is the same way and she's nit my bird she belongs to my daughter . And we all kinda get bent outta shape cuz she wants nobody else if I'm in sight . An she will stop at nothing to get to me. I mean yes it makes me feel good but it's not doing the same for the rest of the family . She gets down to business if you try and pet touch or even come near her while on me. To the point of draws blood. So we are looking for way to calm her down and enjoy the rest of the family as a unit not all separate. She's fine with everybody up until she heats me coming then she changes into a crazy bird šŸ¦. She is or was pretty young when we got her from bird store. And she was returned by an impulse family. She came with no tail feathers and she had plucked most of her wing feathers out. She was looking pretty tattered. So I'm not sure if it is a trauma induced behavior or what . So same type of a boat were in. Good luck ill keep you posted if we find a solution. Thanks
Ooooh šŸ˜Æ haven't seen you around! Welcome! (While we're here) You're gonna like it here šŸ˜

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
I totally missed the point of your post with my previous reply šŸ’€šŸ’€šŸ’€
My cockatoo is the exact same way with me but my sun conure realllyyyy loves my dad and will do anything for his attention. Crazy how birds can be but we still love them the same no matter who they choose lol. Their flock, their world.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Thank u sooo much for ur sweet reply! I will try out ur tips! Itā€™s not that he hates us, heā€™s comfortable with us petting him and stuff, But when he sees my brother he just gets very very hyper like a dog and just wants to sit with him and cuddle!

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Thank u sooo much for ur sweet reply! I will try out ur tips! Itā€™s not that he hates us, heā€™s comfortable with us petting him and stuff, But when he sees my brother he just gets very very hyper like a dog and just wants to sit with him and cuddle!
Also ur cockatoo is literally so cute šŸ„° this is our spoiled baby

Attachments

• 9C80A1A0-09D7-476B-9193-F3A43A164D91.jpeg
    9C80A1A0-09D7-476B-9193-F3A43A164D91.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 73
OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Honestly sometimes I'm like so....."whats the problem?" but I understand. Sometimes you feel bad because your not there all the time. Sometimes you have to do stuff. Fortunately in these situations i live alone so no one's feeling are hurt.
Yes šŸ˜­ we donā€™t really mind that heā€™s only obsessed with my brother. Heā€™s mean to outsiders, fine with us, and then just in love with my brother. Heā€™s the only one who can give him head scratches without him minding!

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Our cockatiel came with broken tail feathers and they still havenā€™t properly come back, because he keeps breaking them off. I am not sure why šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø heā€™s just a very rough baby. If you look at my previous post I asked for help regarding this matter, when he broke off a blood feather and was bleeding :(

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have read that baby parrots are rough on tail feathers. Itā€™s probably worse if he was missing wing feathers, too, as heā€™s even more clumsy. Itā€™s been called ā€˜baby tailā€™ and itā€™s commonā€¦.

That is a cute fluffy cockatiel!

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I have read that baby parrots are rough on tail feathers. Itā€™s probably worse if he was missing wing feathers, too, as heā€™s even more clumsy. Itā€™s been called ā€˜baby tailā€™ and itā€™s commonā€¦.

That is a cute fluffy cockatiel!
Heā€™s honestly never been super rough with this wings, he did break a blood feather once on his right wing but never did anything to them again. However, heā€™s just too rough with his tail :( he only has 2 good long tail feathers, the rest are all broken and bad looking šŸ˜­ hopefully he stops this once he gets older.

Most Reactions