Clipping wings

Beingfahad

Jan 25, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
Hello everyone
Iā€™m new here. My African grey parrot keeps clipping his wings (attached). Do you think itā€™s normal or should I be worried?

Attachments

• 97D88B77-F048-4763-924B-F2EDF498931B.jpeg
    97D88B77-F048-4763-924B-F2EDF498931B.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 071377F3-E44D-4B05-A3A0-6B819934D0E5.jpeg
    071377F3-E44D-4B05-A3A0-6B819934D0E5.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 85BC3B86-4A7A-416D-80E0-C65C2A69ED4E.jpeg
    85BC3B86-4A7A-416D-80E0-C65C2A69ED4E.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 40

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I see some chewed feathers on his shoulders. No, thatā€™s not normal. You could start off by giving him more baths or showers. Also is there something new in his life that he might be stressed about?

OP
B

Beingfahad

Jan 25, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
I
I see some chewed feathers on his shoulders. No, thatā€™s not normal. You could start off by giving him more baths or showers. Also is there something new in his life that he might be stressed about?
I do give his shower once a week. Should I give him more? And nothing new in his life, heā€™s a happy parrot and I spend a lot of time with him after work. My family takes care of him when Iā€™m not home.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I fully agree with my good friend above in offing more showers each week.
He appears to be barbering, which is commonly a result of over attention to preening. Sometimes this is connected with boredom /lack of self-entertainment actives or skills.
The concern is this can become a locked behavior, so although he is happy, maybe making him a shoulder-watcher while you are busy doing things may help.
What is he doing when you are a work? What activities is he part with the other family members.
Grey's are very intelligent and can become bored fairly easy.

OP
B

Beingfahad

Jan 25, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
I fully agree with my good friend above in offing more showers each week.
He appears to be barbering, which is commonly a result of over attention to preening. Sometimes this is connected with boredom /lack of self-entertainment actives or skills.
The concern is this can become a locked behavior, so although he is happy, maybe making him a shoulder-watcher while you are busy doing things may help.
What is he doing when you are a work? What activities is he part with the other family members.
Grey's are very intelligent and can become bored fairly easy.
When Iā€™m at work he spends his time talking and teasing my family members by copying their voices. He has many toys and we provide him healthy food. His cage is always clean. When I arrive I take him to my room and we spend our time together. He also watches tv with me and I play his favorite shows and copy their music. I make sure heā€™s happy and not lonely. Thatā€™s why I worried about this behavior. I also spray him daily with Feather Fancy spray, and once a week with Scalex Mite & Lice spray.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 26

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
He doesnā€™t need any special spray and if heā€™s barbering his wings, he may not like the residue it leaves on his feathers. It would be best to only spray him with water and not any treatment at all.

OP
B

Beingfahad

Jan 25, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
He doesnā€™t need any special spray and if heā€™s barbering his wings, he may not like the residue it leaves on his feathers. It would be best to only spray him with water and not any treatment at all.
I spray him with Feather Fancy for years. But the Scalex Mite & Lice is new.. been using it for two months now

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Treatment for mites and lice should only be done at the direction of a Certified Avian Vet. Its rare for a indoor bird like a parrot to acquire either unless he has been outside and in contact with the ground or tree branches. And I second the vote that water is the only needed spray for a healthy parrot. Really I would curtail both of those, especially the mite and lice one, for a few months and see if your Grey leaves his feathers alone. 'Boats is right, you don;t want this 'barbering' to become a nervous habit!

OP
B

Beingfahad

Jan 25, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
Treatment for mites and lice should only be done at the direction of a Certified Avian Vet. Its rare for a indoor bird like a parrot to acquire either unless he has been outside and in contact with the ground or tree branches. And I second the vote that water is the only needed spray for a healthy parrot. Really I would curtail both of those, especially the mite and lice one, for a few months and see if your Grey leaves his feathers alone. 'Boats is right, you don;t want this 'barbering' to become a nervous habit!
I will take your advice and stop the mite and lice spray.

Thank you so much everyone for your helpful replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts