Closed nare

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Fidget - BFA, Addy - Red Lored
This is Charlie. I got him about a week ago from a man who could no longer keep him. He said his nare has been blocked since he got him about 30 years ago. He had a vet open it a couple of times, but says that it closes back up in a day or two. He says that it has never really affected him and that he has always seemed fine. I have noticed that I can hear him breath sometimes, sounds a bit like the sniffles. But he seems to get around fine without any problems. You can see it in the picture.

Has anyone ever seen this? I am trying to decide if I should take him to a vet again just to have this looked at and get another opinion. But, if hes had it for 30 years and is fine... well, maybe leave it alone.

I would appreciate any info or thoughts on this.

Thanks

31239457_10155975967792949_5069753974286974976_n.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You, you need to set an appointment with a Certified Avian Vet and have that blockage cleared (flushed) out. Depending on where you live this may need to occur yearly or on very rare occasion. But, YES, please have it cleared (flushed) sooner rather than later.

FYI: Great looking BFA!

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It would probably be a good idea to get some tests run as well to ensure he's healthy while you're at it. Amazons are prone to fatty liver disease and vitamin A deficiency. Vitamin A deficiency can lead to sinus issues, too...

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I can say from experience that this condition can be caused by an infection in the sinuses or skull space, and the bird can tolerate it for years. But if it is an infection in the area of the nares, and it gets into the brain, the bird will die quickly. I second the advice to get to a certified Avian vet, not a regular vet, to have the bird seen and tested for infections. Also - some vets flush the nose with a syringe, and this is very painful to the bird. One of the things I'm most ashamed of in my life is I stood and watched a vet do that to our parrot, the poor thing screaming pitifully, and didn't speak up because I figured the vet knew when to stop. But this wasn't a CAV, just a vet with lots of experience with parrots. You can find youtube videos of vets cleaning the nares properly under mild anesthesia - there are concretions that have to be dug out with a tool, and it hurts.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I would have that looked at and treated by an avian vet. I have also heard that plugged nares is caused by an infection (current or even a past infection that caused permanent damages). If nothing else, it can't be comfortable for the poor guy:( Definitely not something you want a non-avian vet to address though. I could see that being a painful experience to have removed by someone not skilled with birds.

OP
S

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Fidget - BFA, Addy - Red Lored
Thanks for all the info. I'll call and make an appt today to get him checked out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts