Cockatiel chick with milky blue eye and decayed eyelid??

Dozi

Apr 3, 2022
England
Parrots
Cockatiels:
- D'ion
- Bobbi
- Milo
- Chui
- Astro (Coming soon!)

Conures:
- Omei
The title is a bit dramatic but I am definitely growing very concerned.

The eye appears to be very cloudy + blue and part of the lower eyelid appears to have.. Disconnected? And is turning yellow. It appears that the chick is still able to see with it, but I'm not sure what to do. There is no avian vet that I could get to with this chick- the closest one is a four hour drive away and I can make the journey for my older birds, but not one this young. Hope I can get some advice soon!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
The title is a bit dramatic but I am definitely growing very concerned.

View attachment 39019

The eye appears to be very cloudy + blue and part of the lower eyelid appears to have.. Disconnected? And is turning yellow. It appears that the chick is still able to see with it, but I'm not sure what to do. There is no avian vet that I could get to with this chick- the closest one is a four hour drive away and I can make the journey for my older birds, but not one this young. Hope I can get some advice soon!
That's definitely abnormal.. Do you perhaps have an exotic vet near you that treats birds? It's not an avian vet, but is better than no vet at all.
Maybe there is a vet nearby you don't know about? You can also contact an online vet as a last resort to get some advice on how to help it..

Sorry your birdy isn't well, I hope that (s)he gets better! Praying for this lil' guy πŸ™

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
I hope everything is fine and the cloudy eye is normal praying for this chick

OP
Dozi

Dozi

Apr 3, 2022
England
Parrots
Cockatiels:
- D'ion
- Bobbi
- Milo
- Chui
- Astro (Coming soon!)

Conures:
- Omei
Update:

I was able to contact a Vet over the phone. I could not get to them in person, but they were able to instruct me on how to delicately remove the matter in its eye with eye wash and a q-tip. The vet has said, however, that the damage may have resulted in cataracts as there is some white spawning in the middle of the blue..- She has told me to bring the bird to her when it's old enough.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Yay good news i am very happy that you were able to contact a vet and remove that yayyayyayaya

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Update:

I was able to contact a Vet over the phone. I could not get to them in person, but they were able to instruct me on how to delicately remove the matter in its eye with eye wash and a q-tip. The vet has said, however, that the damage may have resulted in cataracts as there is some white spawning in the middle of the blue..- She has told me to bring the bird to her when it's old enough.
Oh I'm sorry that the damage may have caused cataracts, I hope it's not something bad..

Most Reactions

Latest posts