Apr 6, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiel - Otis
Cockatiel - Cecilia
Cockatiel - Celio
Cockatiel - Celeste
Grass parakeet (elegant) - paya
Grass parakeet (elegant) - marianno
Hello, so I was as every day preparing fresh veggies for my parrot and then I noticed that my grass parakeet Marianno has a very cloudy right eye. His left eye has one small cloudy spot. He is not tame yet so I don't typically get all that close and thus didn't notice sooner.
He's going to the vet on Monday but I wanted to know if I should prepare for a medical emergency or not.
If he's blinding there wouldn't be a too big problem with caring for him as I like to keep my room the same at all times.

Attachments

• 20240406_104249.jpg
    20240406_104249.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240405_112245.jpg
    20240405_112245.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 9

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello, so I was as every day preparing fresh veggies for my parrot and then I noticed that my grass parakeet Marianno has a very cloudy right eye. His left eye has one small cloudy spot. He is not tame yet so I don't typically get all that close and thus didn't notice sooner.
He's going to the vet on Monday but I wanted to know if I should prepare for a medical emergency or not.
If he's blinding there wouldn't be a too big problem with caring for him as I like to keep my room the same at all times.

How old is Marianno? I'm most certainly not a vet, nor is anyone else here, but it looks like it may be a cataract. He's a gorgeous birdie, by the way!

OP
Icearwi

Icearwi

Apr 6, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiel - Otis
Cockatiel - Cecilia
Cockatiel - Celio
Cockatiel - Celeste
Grass parakeet (elegant) - paya
Grass parakeet (elegant) - marianno
How old is Marianno? I'm most certainly not a vet, nor is anyone else here, but it looks like it may be a cataract. He's a gorgeous birdie, by the way!

He's already 8 years old! His species lives for around 10-15 years so he's already on the old side. Good to know, I'll make sure he gets cared for properly :>

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As stated, no one here is Avian Vet qualified.
That said, the loss of reflection commonly implies a loss of some vision with cataract being the most likely.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Sorry I don't have any answers for you, I just wanted to say what a gorgeous bird it is. I love that moustache 😍

Most Reactions