Cockatiel in discomfort p2

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! One of my first posts I ever made here were regarding my cockatiels right wing. I also made another post about him having discomfort there.

I got his wing checked out by a vet and a friend who has been raising and taking care of birds for years, and both told me that his actual wing is fine, and when he pulled out his blood feather on his right wing, that area has been healed and that brown spot there is just dried up blood which wonā€™t wash away.

Now, when Kiko flies, a little feather pokes out of his right wing, so we get him to step up on the ground and we make him flap his wings and blow on it until it goes back inside.

Every time he sees that wing poking out, he FREAKS out. He starts to aggressively shake that wing and he makes a loud, painful shrieking noise. I have been told by some people on this forum, the vet, and our friend, that the sound may be a mad or scared sound rather than a painful sound. (Bc I thought heā€™s doing it bc heā€™s in pain.)

I need help: WHY is this happening to him? He had a feather poking out which broke off but now thereā€™s another one in its place also poking out. Like 30 min ago he flew from his cage on the ground bc he got scared and when he saw that feather poking out, he freaked out rlly badly. He started to scream rlly loud and aggressively shake and bite that wing. My brother blew on it like he does and made him flap, but this made him even more scared.

ONE THING TO KNOW: Iā€™m guessing this is happening bc of his feathers. He came very poorly clipped. We are planning on not clipping him ourselves ever, but for now this is very painful to watch for him. He canā€™t fly properly or safely, and now heā€™s making scary sounds. Itā€™s come to a point where Iā€™m extremely cautious around him and make sure he doesnā€™t fly too far or fly from fright. Ik itā€™s bad and he should be flying even though heā€™s clipped, but itā€™s too hard to watch him in discomfort.

Iā€™m so confused bc everyone is saying that the actual wing is fine, so is this bc of the clipping? Also, the sound he makes: can this kill him? He calms down after a while but can this fright kill him or cause something worse?

WHAT SHOULD I DO? I need help on this rlly badly and Iā€™ve posted about it before but I just canā€™t see him getting scared like this sometimes bc it scares myself too.

Thanks to anyone who replies :) šŸ’•

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! One of my first posts I ever made here were regarding my cockatiels right wing. I also made another post about him having discomfort there.

I got his wing checked out by a vet and a friend who has been raising and taking care of birds for years, and both told me that his actual wing is fine, and when he pulled out his blood feather on his right wing, that area has been healed and that brown spot there is just dried up blood which wonā€™t wash away.

Now, when Kiko flies, a little feather pokes out of his right wing, so we get him to step up on the ground and we make him flap his wings and blow on it until it goes back inside.

Every time he sees that wing poking out, he FREAKS out. He starts to aggressively shake that wing and he makes a loud, painful shrieking noise. I have been told by some people on this forum, the vet, and our friend, that the sound may be a mad or scared sound rather than a painful sound. (Bc I thought heā€™s doing it bc heā€™s in pain.)

I need help: WHY is this happening to him? He had a feather poking out which broke off but now thereā€™s another one in its place also poking out. Like 30 min ago he flew from his cage on the ground bc he got scared and when he saw that feather poking out, he freaked out rlly badly. He started to scream rlly loud and aggressively shake and bite that wing. My brother blew on it like he does and made him flap, but this made him even more scared.

ONE THING TO KNOW: Iā€™m guessing this is happening bc of his feathers. He came very poorly clipped. We are planning on not clipping him ourselves ever, but for now this is very painful to watch for him. He canā€™t fly properly or safely, and now heā€™s making scary sounds. Itā€™s come to a point where Iā€™m extremely cautious around him and make sure he doesnā€™t fly too far or fly from fright. Ik itā€™s bad and he should be flying even though heā€™s clipped, but itā€™s too hard to watch him in discomfort.

Iā€™m so confused bc everyone is saying that the actual wing is fine, so is this bc of the clipping? Also, the sound he makes: can this kill him? He calms down after a while but can this fright kill him or cause something worse?

WHAT SHOULD I DO? I need help on this rlly badly and Iā€™ve posted about it before but I just canā€™t see him getting scared like this sometimes bc it scares myself too.

Thanks to anyone who replies :) šŸ’•
Heā€™s making that little painful sound or little squeak every time he preens there šŸ˜­

This honestly freaks me out and idk how to stop it. Iā€™m gonna guess that he has some sort of defect in that wing if this doesnā€™t stop after he gets his new feathers. We need to sit with him, cuddle and calm him down with the lights on dim for like 30 min - 1 hr every time he does this.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
My best guess is that he broke a blood feather
Could you hole him with a towel and see if there seems to be any blood at the base of the feather?

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Could you hole him with a towel and see if there seems to be any blood at the base of the feather?
I got him to flap his wings and I looked around and I donā€™t see any blood under or over his wing, or any broken feather anywhere.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Does it ALWAYS have to bleed if he broke a blood feather? Last time he broke it, he was making that painful sound but there was no bleeding so we were confused. Then at night he suddenly started to bleed to we took him and got the feather removed.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Imo i dont think it always has to
So how do we tell itā€™s broken ? Bc thereā€™s no bleeding

This is the feather that was poking out. It just broke off:

Attachments

• 9366D929-FB97-43FB-A94D-1D54CCFB2BC3.jpeg
    9366D929-FB97-43FB-A94D-1D54CCFB2BC3.jpeg