Cockatoo Shouting

birdnerd301

Jan 13, 2020
Hello!

As all of you know cockatoos can be very very loud. I see plenty of websites making this very well known, and rightly so, as owning a cockatoo isn't for everyone, and needs to be very seriously considered.

And maybe I'm just an oddball but is anyone else just completely unbothered/even a little amused by cockatoo screaming? I have an 8 year old U2 who loves to shout when he gets excited and I think I would miss his shouting if it were gone. Maybe it's because he was very depressed and silent when I took him in 2 years ago but his screaming has just never bothered me and is almost a reassuring sign that everything's fine. I don't encourage his shouting but I don't discourage it either. To me, it's normal vocalisation for him, so I let him be. I'm very lucky to live in a detached house, so no neighbours to bother.

So is there anyone else that borderline enjoys their birds nosiness?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have long worked with very special Amazons of age! Like yours, they arrive, just short of being yesterday's trash and near silent. When health returns, so does their voice. The Joy of a happy, healthy Amazon in the morning is the only way to start the arrival of a great Morning's Sunrise!

I'm 100% in agreement with your joy!

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
For me it's all about when....

If we're playing/exercising, I'm ok with it.

If it's late at night and I'm about to go to bed....not so much, lol

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
If Rosetta calls loudly or frequently when my next-door neighbours are at home, I feel very tense until she finally shuts up. If she calls while they're at work, I yell along with her!

Interestingly, I can take my study out to the birds' area and work away happily with all seven of them bellowing. As soon as I know the neighbours are listening, it all goes to pieces and I have to leave off studying and come inside again.

Today, a flock of SC2s flew over the park near our place. They landed and commenced stripping the Callitris trees of their ripening cones and seeds, leaving a holy mess on the ground beneath them. When the tree was nearly bald, the flock rose up to sit on the power lines and just call and shriek and shout and bellow and screech and - did I say 'shriek'? People were making exaggerated faces about the noise and poking their fingers in their ears, but I couldn't help thinking 'this is a huge family having the usual after-dinner chat around the table'. They were so happy and funny and LOUD, I just had to laugh with them. :)

Mind you, the Rainbow Lorikeets nest communally in a street about a mile away from ours. It's quite a sight, watching them zooming in to take up their allotted perches for the night in one of two big Brush Box trees on Bluegum Road. The noise they make is deafening, but most people don't even look up to check them out (NB. There's a busy bus-stop directly under one of the trees and there are crowds of people there at all hours of the night and day.

It never ceases to amaze me how non-bird people just never seem to look up and see what's going on over their heads! How could you sit at a bus stop and never once look up to find out what's making all that racket? In the morning, at first light, the Rainbow Lorikeets fly off in family groups to forage in the adjoining suburbs. Then, the return to their roosting trees and do it all over again.

People in our local area are finally beginning to notice the growing numbers of black cockatoos and wondering what's bringing them out of the bush and into the suburbs. I find it quite worrying, because the birds are coming into unfamiliar territory and could be endangered by things like cats and pollution and the raptors that benefit from human habitation. While I *love* to see them and run to spot the flocks when I hear them fly over, I wish they'd go back where it's safer.

Anyone who likes parrots should visit us when COVID's over. We have a LOT of parrots and every single species is stunning in its own way, from the tiny wild green budgies to the magnificent palm cockatoos. :)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hello!

As all of you know cockatoos can be very very loud. I see plenty of websites making this very well known, and rightly so, as owning a cockatoo isn't for everyone, and needs to be very seriously considered.

And maybe I'm just an oddball but is anyone else just completely unbothered/even a little amused by cockatoo screaming? I have an 8 year old U2 who loves to shout when he gets excited and I think I would miss his shouting if it were gone. Maybe it's because he was very depressed and silent when I took him in 2 years ago but his screaming has just never bothered me and is almost a reassuring sign that everything's fine. I don't encourage his shouting but I don't discourage it either. To me, it's normal vocalisation for him, so I let him be. I'm very lucky to live in a detached house, so no neighbours to bother.

So is there anyone else that borderline enjoys their birds nosiness?

Noodles does a happy shout that I like.

It's her tantrum shouts that don't amuse me in the least-- its a grating "eh eh eh" so loud that you can't even hear what someone else is saying if they shout 2 feet from you (and in a bad situation, it can go on for hours). I wish I had a recording over it because it's cadence is different from other forms of "eh eh eh" lol. Hard to describe.

She does this super loud clucking which I think is adorable (even though it is obnoxious lol)--When the loud clucking gets over the top, I tell her "baby chicken" and she gets quieter, but still is basically shouting haha (she's so pleased with herself).

I absolutely love it when she rants in that word-soup, cockatoo -fashion.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Lengthy "flock calling" screams in the morning and especially at night are irritating. When one starts, the contact calling becomes intense as the cockatoos are in 3 different areas. My primary issue is avoiding neighbor issues; so far nobody has complained though a few occasionally remark "I can hear your birds."

Most Reactions

Latest posts