Coco the Parrot some advice please

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
No avocado, no rhubarb, no onion, no garlic, no leeks, no chives, no shallots, no mushrooms, no tomatoes...no seeds or pits on apples or peaches, cherries etc.
limit citrus fruit/ foods high in vitamin C , as they can cause iron storage disease. My vet said a small tangerine slice once-twice a week for my large cockatoo was okay, but not more.
Keep them away from dairy, salt and sugar (limit fruit). No caffeine...no coffee (not even decaf)...No artificial sweeteners, no alcohol. NO HONEY! and no raw eggs/meats etc. Do not share food with your bird after you have eating from the same plate or fork (dogs, humans, cats etc have bacteria in their mouths that can kill birds---especially cats).

Last edited:

thowedh

May 14, 2020
java-flava indonesia
Parrots
cockatoo and blue backed parrot
Hi Alex, you are making good progress! The hot peppers are the Vit A rich ones. red chilies, and habenaro peppers are a big part of my Salty's diet, and he loves them. Yams are same as sweet potatos (almost) and hve the same nutrients. If he is molting, a cooked chicken bone will give some extra protien to help build new feathers. Eggs too, but boiled not fried. Also some finely crushed egg shells can be sprinkled on his food to supply needed calcium. Bone, eggs and egg shells maybe every 2 weeks. Yellow napes are usually fantastic talkers and singers, just talk to him like youwould a baby to learn how to talk. Hold foods up and say their name to him, he can learn to ask for what he wants.
I had a blue backed parrot, got it from a local owner which is cant handle it anymore. She usually eat some seed (sunflower, canaryseed, milet). Here in my place i gave her some extra food like some tropical fruit that available her. My question is can i gave her red chilli to her? What the worse case if he eat that?

Thx before

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Red chili peppers are fine. And the hotter the better. They love it.

Don’t give too much fruit, because it’s too much sugar. Vegetables are better, but ask here first because SOME vegetables are very bad for birds (onions, avocados, garlic, mushrooms, rhubarb and others), and some fruits are very bad too, like anything citrus (oranges, lemons, etc.) and the seeds of certain fruits like apple, because they have cyanide.

To start, feed your bird ALL kinds of peppers, carrots, sweet potato (steamed), fresh corn (raw or steamed), beets, broccoli (steamed), turnips and parsnips (steamed).

Of course, don’t give him the food when it’s hot.

For fruit, apple (no seeds), pineapple, grapes, cherries (no pits), banana, mango, pear, strawberries, pomegranate...just about everything.
Thanks...
Oh frget to mention about vegies...she definetly loves it.
I gave her so much vegies and seed, im just afraid about chilli. Never gave it to my birdies (parrot) cause i had a bad situation from chilli, but i gave it to some singing birds and it dead two days after.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hot peppers are fine for parrots- they are safe if they are edible for humans (as far as I know)--just don't let your bird mess with your eyelashes after lol!
They don't have the same taste receptors as people and peppers are full of vitamins...Now, non-parrots may not be the same, but hot peppers are common in parrot food.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Hot peppers are fine for parrots- they are safe if they are edible for humans (as far as I know)--just don't let your bird mess with your eyelashes after lol!
They don't have the same taste receptors as people and peppers are full of vitamins...Now, non-parrots may not be the same, but hot peppers are common in parrot food.

My wife always knows I just fed Archie hot peppers when she kisses him.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
My wife always knows I just fed Archie hot peppers when she kisses him.

Hahaha! Been there! Not so fun...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
A

Alex_GT

Apr 13, 2020
Hello friends i hope everything is going well with you and your lovely pets, a little update on Coco, well now the Covid 19 situation is making our government take more and more actions to avoid the spread of the disease so the markets and super markets are close most of the time, I am avoiding to go back to sunflower seed diet but I am not giving him the variety of veggies and fruit I was giving for now he is taking jalapeno chili (the green since I am not finding the red one so it has lest vitamins) red hot chili pepper, yellow and orange bell chili, sweet chili, carrot and zucchini (steamed and procced since is the only way he takes it) and banana well when the government take out some restrictions and I could go to the market I will give more variety but I am assuming this is better than only seeds again.
Well with the restrictions there is a big flock of parrots flying around at the afternoon and he could hear them, but he does not look excited about it as I assume he will be.

Well now he let me and my daughter to pet him on his head and he place his foot on our finger between the cage bars, if I place my hand inside the cage to take the water bowl or fill his bowl with food he does not look afraid or angry anymore and he is taking food from my hand or my daughter had too, if I place my hand inside the cage and move to him sometimes he let me touch his foot for a few seconds other not he does not bite but he move his beak against my hand like saying go out if I retreat my hand to the door he come down to the door and do this again until I take my hand out.
Something like 3 or 4 days ago he came out from his cage but when we try to reach him he start to screaming really angry so we let him be and place some seed in his bowl so he climb his cage again and go inside after that, in other opportunity my daughter was wearing a purple sweater and she place her hand inside the cage and he really attack her sweater pinning his eyes screaming and biting really hard it, well a bad memory or he just does not like the purple I am not sure but for true she did not use it again near Coco.
I am going to re read the attachment of the physical language now he is bowing but when he is in the bow position he move his wings and clip his beak in his perch I am not sure exactly what he is trying to say.

I have a question here all the amazons are one-person parrot? I ask this because he is really attached with my daughter but now he let me pet him he say my name (I was so excited when I hear him say Alex) he does the same things with but of us, except for one thing with her he climb the cage bars and place his body near her face he pin her eyes and his feather look like fluffed and he does some noise like brrr brrr or something like that what do you think is the meaning of these?

Thanks a lot for all the advices and believe me all of your have help to changes Cocos life

Alex

OP
A

Alex_GT

Apr 13, 2020
Alex, look at the photo below. I took this photo a few days ago.

See how both feathers come in at the same time?

Yes i can see, Coco is starting to have some white feathers like that but not the colored ones, is that the beginnig of molting?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good to hear CoCo is opening up to you and family.
Parrots see in wider spectrum than humans, so colors look different to them. Some parrots decide they hate a certain color, so best not to wear that around them.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Hi, Alex!

1) Coco is excited to see your daughter. The eye pinning means he’s OVERLY excited, and that “purring” is part of that. Best to be careful.

2) He might not like that color purple, or the color had nothing to do with it. But when I had my grey, when he was a baby, I always WORE grey when handling him. Greys in the wild of course congregate in big flocks, and each wants to “blend in” and not stand out and be attacked by a predator bird. Or maybe Coco was just criticizing your daughter’s fashion sense.

3) No, Amazons are not one person birds, although it can happen. Usually, they like one person the most (don’t people do the same thing?), but they can certainly learn to accept and love multiple people, and love the social interaction with new visitors/strangers as well. It takes a lot of exposure to new visitors to get the bird into this experience, but it’s not that difficult to achieve. Below is a photo of my niece, the first time Archie met her.

Archie likes my wife and I equally. He likes my older son (27, autistic), but my son doesn’t interact with him much. He just knows to always interact with the bird with a warm greeting, smile, etc. when he’s near the cage. So when Jamie approaches the cage now, Archie runs to greet him.

My younger son (23) loves animals, but just doesn’t know how to express that warmth and body language which Archie can interpret as, “Well, I guess this guy is okay.” However, Archie is warming up to him; now, it’s Timmy’s responsibility to reciprocate if he ever wants a great relationship. (Both my sons live with me.)

It sounds like you’re doing just about everything right, especially since you took a mature bird and put him in a totally new environment. It’s a never ending process:

Just last week, for the first time, Archie let me scratch and vigorously rub his head! The next day, he wanted nothing to do with it. Since then, he loves it again, but I have to respect when he just isn’t in the mood for it. However, I was totally willing to accept that he might NEVER let me scratch him. This wouldn’t mean any less affection or trust towards me. Some birds are just very particular about it! (Soon I start working on petting his body!)

And you know, a new cage for Coco might make a big difference. Now that he’s so comfortable with you guys, it wouldn’t be such a huge, scary change for him.

Last edited:

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Alex, look at the photo below. I took this photo a few days ago.

See how both feathers come in at the same time?

Yes i can see, Coco is starting to have some white feathers like that but not the colored ones, is that the beginnig of molting?

They’re only white because they haven’t fully grown in yet! They’ll be green.

Coco should have very vibrant red and blue feathers that you can mostly see when he flaps or stretches his wings. I remember we discussed this, that Coco’s lack of color here may be the result of his prior poor diet. I wouldn’t worry about it now.

Me, I have no patience and can’t wait to see some yellow on Archie’s head, but I know it’s going to be a long wait.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very happy to hear that Coco is becoming ever more comfortable with your family.

A few course corrections:

-Amazons are NOT single person Parrots! Past experiences and how we interact with a new family member is far more an indicator. The goal is that everyone gets one on one Amazon time and responsibilities. As an example; Wrench's Salty is a family Amazon. The Understanding Amazon Body Language is reading for everyone. Reading it out loud with the Amazon works to a family activity in which everyone gets to participate.

- The CV-19 Virus: It is early Fall (rainy season) for you and the Virus is just beginning to expand rapidly. Social Distancing away from your home is something that everyone in your family needs to practice as this monster of a Virus transmits best in groups of people close together. A quick moment in and out, but the longer the more likely it transmits. You could have months with this Virus. Set your habits in place early and follow them. Gods Prays for you and yours.

- Veggies: Time for an informative talk with your Mother as she likely knows where some of the wild veggies and other foods grow in your area. With restrictions in store hours , the need to search for wild food sources become ever more important.

- A Health diet 'CAN' be heavy on the Healthy type of seed, grains, nuts, etc... I recall you saying that there are wild Parrots in your area. See what they are eating and bring it home. What you will notice is that they target specific foods when they are rip! As a result it can be said that at any give point, they do not have a varied diet, but over a year, everything has its few weeks.

- Your Vet: It is possible that your Coco may need more 'A' in the diet. BUT, with you changing the diet, you will begin seeing changes in the overall appearance of your Amazon. Ever couple of weeks you will see these changes and yes they will be slow. Three months from now you will be very happy with your hard work. Dull feathers are likely a combination of the poor diet and lack of bathing.

- When you are out searching for food sources, look for tree branches in the 75 to 100 mm wide range. Target fresh cut, clean the bark off and replace the dowels currently in use, they are undersized for your Amazon.

Be Safe!

Last edited:

Most Reactions