colloidal Silver

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
Has anyone used Colloidal Silver on your birds ? I am considering using it to treat my Zons stinky poop problem. They have been vetted and took several rounds of antibiotics, but still no results. The Vet said I could try the silver, that it works to cure lots of ailments in birds. I just wanted to know if anyone here has tried it and what your results were.

OP
Boysmom

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
Thanks for the info WECO, I will definately be studying up on the links provided. I spoke to my AV about it after receiving info about it's benefits to birds from prettyparrot, whom I order my Ekkie pellets from.

Has anyone else tried it ? Did it work ?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I haven't ever tried it on Kiwi (thankfully, he's only been sick once, and vet prescribed antibiotics cleared it up), but I have used it on myself. I get really awful ear infections every time I fly (I guess the pressure changes?). Since I have Cronhs disease, prescription antibiotcs mess my stomach up so bad I would never take them except in a life or death situation. I have used colloidal silver for years on the ear infections (a few drops in my ears to clear up the infection) and it works like a charm. I also use the spray form when I get sore throats, and it works really well on those too. I personally can attest to the fact it does indeed work on people, and if the vet has given an ok, I would imagine it could help a bird too.

What I'm more curious about is the reason for the stinky poop. Antibiotics in some humans can cause severe digestive upsets, and I'm wondering if it's possibly messing up your birds digestion/making the problem worse. Antibiotics kill EVERYTHING, including the healthy bacteria in the gut that help digest food and assimilate nutrients. I'm not sure what caused the stinky poop to begin with, but round after round of antibiotics may be making the problem worse since the GI tract isn't being given the chance to repair and regulate itself. Perhaps you should consult with the vet about getting them off the antibiotics altogether for a while to see if that helps. I'm not sure how their diet is, but if it's less than ideal, some simple dietary changes under vet guidance may also help with the smell. Best of luck!

OP
Boysmom

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
The pair came to me with stinky poops. They drink more water than any of my other birds also. After doing some reading on the colloidal silver, I am considering trying it. Maybe it will help, maybe not. I have to try something, as I dont want to give them any more antibiotics at this point.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Try giving them so yogurt
My vet always suggests yogurt to help replace the good bacteria when antibiotics are used.

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I have a grey that has loose droppings from time time time (although they have no odor). After clean bill of health, my vet recommended AviBios, an avian-specific probiotic, that apparently is pretty palatable because I can sprinkle it in his water and on his food (soft and pellets) and he gobbles it right up. It's really making a difference. I'm sure he'd RATHER eat yogurt, but the milk isn't that good for his digestive system, so this is better for him. He's an avid paper chewer and I think some of the stuff he chews irritates his GI tract. I, too, will read up on the col-silver. Thank you for the informative links.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
It's true that lactose in milk is not that good for them. But yogurt and cottage cheese in processing have hardly any lactose left. Most birds tolerate it well.

OP
Boysmom

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
Thanks OOwl and SandyBee, I will try those first. I just want them to be as healthy as possible, and the poops are worrying me.

Jesse_EG

Sep 6, 2021
Parrots
2 African greys
Hi @Boysmom, stumbled onto this thread while looking into similar instances to what is going on with me CAG. Did you find Colloidal silver to be effective or safe?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m not baileys mom, but I’ve used silver ointment to heal a very stubborn case of bumblefoot and foot infection after my Quaker’s fractured leg was casted.

It worked well (along with the antibiotics) but the dr was worried at first because the silver turned her bandage green.

I have never fed colloidal silver to my birds or me. I think I would try probiotics made for avians first.

Most Reactions

Latest posts