Communication Board for birds?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My last Quaker, Lucy, could talk a lot and ask for what she wanted. She’s been gone two years. Willow Quaker hardly ever talks. I really wish he would talk because I could then give him what he wants more easily.

So I am thinking about making a communication board for Willow (like used for toddlers or people who have nonverbal autism). I don’t know if anyone has used these with parrots. I thought I read about a dog that could use one.

Also, Willow is shy about new things, so the board itself may be β€˜scary’ at first. I am thinking photos of a few items would work best as I think he understands photos.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'm an electronics technician/engineer. Actually you just gave me an idea....I'm not saying it's gonna work but...engineering a voice box activated by switches/paddles might be a fun side project. If I get it to work I'll just put the parts/plans online.....just don't put it on a deadline this would be a hobby idea ....maybe for any pet.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I'm an electronics technician/engineer. Actually you just gave me an idea....I'm not saying it's gonna work but...engineering a voice box activated by switches/paddles might be a fun side project. If I get it to work I'll just put the parts/plans online.....just don't put it on a deadline this would be a hobby idea ....maybe for any pet.
I was even thinking of a β€œpoint to the picture” grid for certain things. Mostly the things Lucy used to say: want drink, want some, out, step up, go goodnight, gimmee kiss? For drink, food, out of cage, step up, back to cage, kisses.

If you search for β€œcommunication board” you would see some examples. But I don’t know if Willow could learn to use this or to use it meaningfully.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I have confidence that Willow'll be able to use a communication board well. Sounds like an exciting idea!

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Do you think photos of the desired object, or drawings, would be best?

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Do you think photos of the desired object, or drawings, would be best?
Drawings could be clearer to understand I think. Photos would have to be clutter free, methinks, if they were to get the point across. In the end, both would work if you take your time :) .

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I know the concept would work it's just me figuring out the design. Might just have to look it up.

Citing a ted talk about a guy that made an ATM for crows.

go to 7 minutes in.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
More like a vending or candy machine for crows. But very very interesting.

I still don’t understand how this relates to a communication board. Can you explain?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
birds can learn performing an action with an item, a "thing" say a button or paddle rewards them. Especially corvids and parrots.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yes, that’s true. But what I am talking about is teaching Willow to point to the picture of what he wants on the board, to indicate it so I can give it to him.

I don’t understand what you want to do.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I'm just saying they can figure it out over time.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Ok. I thought you wanted to make a food dispenser or something like in the TED talk.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Nevermind on developing something already done.... sigh

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Clark, I think there is always room for alternatives. If you really want to do something you should do it.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Took a few of the Parrot Kindergarten vids. She is a pretty good trainer and her methods are sound. If your serious this is a great way to go.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I poked around that web page a bit but I wasn’t sure if I have to pay to watch her videos? And I’m not certain what I can complete or focus on due to my health stuff.

emilyapojemma

Jan 13, 2023
Wisconsin
Parrots
Apo Calrissian: nearly 5 yr old White-Bellied Caique
Jemma Simmons: 3 yr old rescue Cockatiel
I poked around that web page a bit but I wasn’t sure if I have to pay to watch her videos? And I’m not certain what I can complete or focus on due to my health stuff.
I used her free materials (plan to join for a couple months at some point though) and since one of my birds is trained to not touch my tablet (oops), I'm using flashcards with him. If you look up ESL for kids grades 1-4, it's not unlike that. The big learning curve is teaching them to tap the answer they choose with their beak. Using this guide for my cockatiel: https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/teach-your-bird-to-communicate-yes-and-no/

I have health stuff as well, so I just do language learning as my usual daily time with my birds. They get kinda pissed off if I skip it.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Last edited:

Most Reactions