cone of shame (collars for birds)

Rana

Sep 18, 2012
Dublin, Ireland (Republic)
Parrots
Scottie Pippen (Pinapple GCC) Little Bandit (Hahns Macaw)
Hi Guys,

Bandit has had a bit of a plucking issue for a while. It's not very severe, and it does not seem to be getting worse either, but she's gotten into the habbit of it now and it's not getting any better either... it's sort of status quo.

Her last vet check up (3 weeks ago) the vet gave some medicine and palm oil supplement which i had to give her twice daily for two weeks.

If that didn't help i was to come back and maybe run some tests to see if her liver is ok (apparently leg-plucking is a possible indication for liver related issues)
if it was "stress" plucking, apparently birds are more likely to go for the chest area or any area that is easy for them to reach?*

So that's happening next monday, and she's also to get a "cone" to break her habbit.
Now she showed it to me last time and it sort of looks more like a bubble than the lampshade versions, and i'm very curious as to how they work - anyone have experience with these contraptions? or what is the correct name for them so i can do some research?

this is the only picture i could find online - http://i.ytimg.com/vi/7moHu6VtiFs/0.jpg i THINK this is the type of collar...?

I'm a little bit of a freak when it comes to their health though... and the vet is very unfortunate to live relatively close by... rather safe than sorry is all i can say! :)

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Avian Collar -> Home Page

Recommended over the cone as it's less cumbersome and easier to maneuver and eat.

Another option is the tube collar which is essentially the same as the avian collar, only it's not a bubble... and you can make it yourself.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I second monicamc, Rome has been in a collar since around june/july. I would never put a bird in the cone collar. They also make a tube like collar if the bubble doesnt work. A collar is not a long term solution and should only be a part of ur rehab process w picking. I would suggest doing the collar in combo with psyche meds, completely re anaylize everthing ur doing and make changes to ur routine. The collar helps stop it temporarily, until u can fix the environment. If u put them on psyche meds and the collar at the same time, then fix the environment, then remove the collar, the slowly wean off of the psyche med, and hopefully have helped solve the behaviour. This is the approach we are now trying with Rome, its a long process and requires a lot of patience. I would never use a cone collar, unless the bird had a surgical procedure done. This type of therapy is a very long process and i think a cone collar would cause more emotional trauma than good.

Most Reactions