Congo African Gray intelligence

Mulligan

Feb 5, 2023
Media
Parrots
One female Congo African Grey
Jingles is now 25 years. I handfed her when I first brought her home. Eleven years later we decided to get a dog - Great Pyrenees Mountain Dog. Jingles went lame.
After an Avian Vet visit and several hundred dollars, the Vet couldn't figure out what the issue was and thought to put a scope down her throat. I hesitated so they let me bring her home for a month and then take her back. At home, I worked with her constantly. Holding her, gently massaging her legs and body, and allowing her to try to walk on the floor always under supervision. I kept trying to get her to step up from one hand to the other. In time, she was able to walk again and her symptoms went away. The CAG book says they are intelligent but extremely territorial. They don't like another pet entering their space. I always wondered if it was her way of protesting the new dog. Fast forward 15 years and we have now had 5 Great Pyrs. If I walk into the house and greet the dog first, Jingles will ignore me. Oops. No one likes playing second fiddle. I also notice that if I don't pay much attention to her, her feet (claws) get cold. When I talk and play with her, her body and feet get very warm.
Everyone needs attention. Such is life. Always remember to make eye contact with your pets. Talk to them. They are reading you.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It maybe better to state that they are very smart and cunning. And, yes near all Parrots read our emotions and react to them and as a result, being aware of yours is important!

Introducing new things to a Parrot is only proper as they expect consistency, as the larger Parrots are social /family groups with strong relationships and a chain-of-command are a part of their lifestyle. When you 'drop-in' a new member, that steals near all their understanding of the World around them. It is more likely that your girl when into shock!

Yes, you should always contact call from the moment you enter the home and until you walk-up to greet her. Once that is completed you can greet the other members and be about you normal day, including contact calls as you travel about! It may sound like overkill, but you will have a much happier girl.

Parrot Feet: It is important to understand that they do not sweat and cooling or warming is closely connected to Blood flow to their feet and their chest feathers and opening or closing their wings to increase or decrease air flow across their chest.

Interaction with a favorite individual warms one's heart and you are feeling the love!!

Enjoy!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
When I brought Bella into our lives as a rescue we had something of the reverse problem.

I think it helped Bella to know that she was with humans that knew how to care for birds properly (with examples all around her).
The problem was we/I gave her so much attention to “bring her back from plucking and a stressful environment “ that my Yellow nape got the shot end of the stick for a time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts