Considering rehoming 2 Amazon yellow naps

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
I might come off snide but do not mean to on here, this is a hard emotinal thing to do at a very low time in my life, in a situation like this its asking for the lowlife scammers to gravitate to me, woohoo free birds to flip,

Sure im new here and nope, no one knows me and im sure there are all kinds of scamners offering 2 free parrots, but if grilled i will quickly pass any test that a charlatan can not,

Now at the moment i believe i will give them to the lady near me, is she 100% perfect? No, and no one every will be, the birds need more than i can give, you know how hard that is to come to terms with?
One bird still yells feather in my moms voice, but feather my cat of 20 plus years and mom are gone, ive had these birds about 20 years,

Im very OCD my ptsd isnt fun i assure you guys i grill the hell out of replies i received,

Because these people are not moderators or admins or even respected members on huge parrot sites they are strangers to me, i had one fellow call me an "indentities thefts" yeah, spelled that way because of the questions i ask, gee i will have to meet you to give you my birds.

The first response i had claimed to be a parrot lover with a conure, then sends me pictures ranging from cockatoos to an amazon, the funny part, after saying they had a great forever home for the birds they give me a phone number to their little bird store,
Yep, they wanted free stock to flip,

So the lady im considering says things like she will send pics and video and i can pop in any time to visit, she has a history with large parrots so far all my digging she comes up clean, a good home,
But lets face it what could i really do if in a week she sold them, i hope and believe at the moment shes real but i havent handed her the birds just yet,

But how many hoops do i make her jump thru before i ruin what might be a great new home, yeah, its scary and depressing.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
You have every right to be extra cautious with prospective new owners. To me, and many of us here, it amounts to giving up your children. I hope I didn't come off as negative towards you. Apologies if I did. That was not the intent. More just looking at the situation as it appears here on the forum. We were all new here at one point, so we get it. We've seen all sorts of things, and as a mod, see some things before they hit the open forum. Like I said, we do our best to minimize the scammers, but we're human, and absolutely no, you don't come off as one of them. I know it's a difficult thing to even consider giving up your birds. I wish there was more I could do to help, and I do hope the person near you works out for everyone. Fingers crossed for you.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It’s a hard place to be for sure.
Are you taking them to her? St least that way you can scope out the house..
I met the guy who gave me his much loved bird at a rest stop half way between us, he had to have faith, and I sent him bunches of pictures, every once in a while he checks in, and he is so happy I love and care so well for the little guy.

I pray this is a good home, and you do get pic and buds of how happy they are,
Big hugs to you

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
You are doing the exactly right thing in asking questions. Only you can make the decision on who will be a good home, and asking questions is a huge part of that. Anyone with good intentions will appreciate your questions because they would be asking the same ones if the situation was reversed.
I think it will help if you can take the birds to meet them and see their home, and take it from there. I think it's harder for someone to fake their knowledge when face to face, and it would also be a chance to see if your amazons feel comfortable there.
I wish you the best of luck in finding them a good home, I know one is out there for them.

OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
To clearfy the scammers were contacts from craigslist, not this forum,

About a year ago i posted on hear about rehoming then i recalled a fellow who ran a wild life rescue type place that i had given a monkey to a few decades back,
Decades back he was great 3rd squirrel monkey he had and she lived out her life with friends happy,
But last year when he said he would take the parrots things dragged ( my health )
Then before i came back here when i looked him up and contacted him via email several times nothing,
I root around and long story short it would appear he turned into kind of a poor mans joe exotic so good thing i didnt give him the birds,

My point is things and people change, he was great decades back with the monkey,

Yes, i told the lady that i would want to being the birds over myself see they get into the cages, one will likely warm up to her quickly the other is an aggressive scary fellow who will take time, she claims to be good with this having experence with an aggressive cockatoo,

OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
Ill add a bit more, in this you guys are the only ones i can trust,

As you guys can judge by my writing on here my OCD is strong,

So being this lady im considering lives in a duplex it was a bit of a red flag perhaps unfairly,
She said shes been there 5 years, not planning to move, up until tonight her replies have been long and fairly detailed,

I do get long winded, im all these parrots have to keep them safe and like someone said here its like rehoming a child,

I had a odd feeling before tonight the last thing i asked her was how did she hapoen on my CL ad, she said her son found it,

This made me wonder was he one of countless people who scoured CL hunting stuff to flip?
Also made me wonder why a person who said they grew up in a parrot household and had all this parrot experence didnt send me a pic of them with a parrot.
But i did slowly creep forward,

I had told her i had to progress slowly, clean up cages etc.

Today i hit her my concerns about the noise, and transporting etc i request that she assures me that if they do not work out she returns them to me that she doesnt rehome or flip and her reply takes me from thinking i found a home to slamming on the brakes,

Her reply was brief not at all like the others from her and all it said was noise wouldnt be a problem lol and shes ready with her friend with a truck to come get them when im ready so let her know when.

The "lol" irked me a bit in that context Im being very serious, the noise could be a real issue in a duplex but thats all she said,, no further reason why its not a problem,

Then it went from her telling me in the past it would be her son in law with a truck to come get the cages, to now its a "friend" with a truck, odd,

And not a word or comment about my desire to bring the birds over in a carrier but basically it was more less just a reply they are ready to come get them,

Not a word of reassurance that if they do not work out she will return them to me, thats a huge red flag for me for that to be ignored,

Im i overthinking and over analyzing?

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I think you are right to be concerned.

OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
Thanks,

Im thinking CL was a bad idea, any one actually hunting a parrot will
be somewhere like this,

Besides here i havent a clue where to post them,

I dont care for how the parrot rescue in fl works, they basically do what im doing but charge big adoption fees,

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1595444206617_copy_111x147.jpg
    FB_IMG_1595444206617_copy_111x147.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 120
  • FB_IMG_1595444140325_copy_366x353.jpg
    FB_IMG_1595444140325_copy_366x353.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 142
OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
Update, so to speak,

The plot and confusion thickens for me and my nervous

Health issues really hate this sh..ahem stuff,

A couple days ago the lady i was considering hits me with a reply to
my email ignoring my concerns then later
hits me that she had bought 2 cages for 350 huh????

Sure, i told her my cages were not the best but i also was waiting

For other concerns to be addressed, i have told her from the start i have to be fully
comfortable with who i am giving the birds to,

Her email goes on to include a picture of a cage that again she said she bought and would have in a day or so and asked what did i think.

I didnt and have not replied, i havent a clue what to say,

I did a quick looky on CL and there was the cage she sent me a pic of that

She claimed she bought,
I contacted the seller and no, the cage wasnt bought they still have it,

I am baffled, is she a scammer or a person who jumped on saying she wanted my parrots on impulse and reality sunk in?, i have no idea, early on i said i would move forward in giving them to her
but no, not now, too many red flags and my concerns ignored,

Since its been a few days perhaps she moved on too, i have not received any more email from her and i will not be replying to her last one.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Sounds like a scammer. I would ask to see it in-person (masks on, of course)...or ask her to write " HI BUGGYBOO" (or whatever) on a bit of paper and make a video of her holding it by the cage..

That would prove it...as long as she isn't a good Photoshopper.

Don't let her say "Oh, I dk how to make a video.." If she can't make a video OR you cannot verify in person, I would not.

Last edited:
OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
So i thankfully so far have not hear from the local lady after she claimed to have bought cages
still for sale,
So my two parrots are still hunting a new forever home,
Craigslist is a dump, im done with it for this,
But i do need help in getting the word out to real folks who would like these guys,
Thanks all,
Cheers
bb

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! A suggestion, start a new thread! Yes everything you posted is here, but with the start date, much is being overlooked! I for one thought this was a done deal, and until now, never even looked at the updates. It only caught my eye because you were the last one to update it! Under normal circumstances, that is strange!
I am NOT a good candidate, but I live close to you and am willing to help where possible!
There are a few folks on here that have been wanting! A couple of them have been around for a while now.
You can easily add a location to your profile, nothing specific, Central Florida is great!

I also have red flags over your newest prospect!

OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
Fboy,

Sure, sounds great to make a new thread, not sure of the rules about it,
I guess if they have to they can delete this thread, seems like a waste to me,
On the flip side starting fresh might be better,

Yeah, while i have zero idea what the real story there was

The local lady was not on the level, when i went back re read her first two

Responses they were full of flags,

So what section do i post the new thread under?

Ill give a run down about the birds and all that,
Im thinking i have the help of other members here to weed

Out the charlatans.

Thanks
cheers
bb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts