Constant flock calling! Very loud.

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
My little man Bobby is back at it. He's been making great progress the last few weeks. He's gotten better with being touched by people and become incredibly cuddly, he's stopped biting at lips and fingers (unless warranted), and he's become very attached to me which feels great.
However, One new issue has come up.
Over the last couple weeks Bobby has been playing with toys and with me quite a bit less. He's decided to occupy most of his time either foraging for food everywhere he can find or simply following me around the house every time I stand up. He's also begun to "flock call" ( single chirps, with incredible volume) constantly. Being that I live in an apartment I'm a little concerned that this may be very irritating for my neighbors. I haven't received any complaints yet but I would prefer not to at all. He's also become very clingy. As I said he will follow me every time I move and cling to my shoulder whenever I tried to shake him off to do things such as cooking or cleaning. I love him following me around and being on me. But normally it's not so constant or intrusive on day-to-day activities.
I have been considering getting him a friend. Probably male because I don't want to deal with the hassle of chicks. But I'm worried that he'll Bond more with the other bird than with me and my roommate.
I have begun traveling for work. So I'm not here to play with him every single evening. But my roommate usually is so I didn't expect this to be as much of a problem as it is. I will say that that's another part of why I'm considering getting another bird. So they can entertain each other while I'm not around. But I don't want to lose months of training if they become too attached to each other to spend time with me and my friends.
Sorry if this is a long rant but I would appreciate any input before I make any big decisions this week. Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_20211116_234846.jpg
    IMG_20211116_234846.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 102

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Very cute cuddle pictures.
Birds are flock creatures, so they flock and call to stay in touch. Its completely natural, and a hard wired behavior to stay with flock. Flock is safely. It isn't clinging, its how birds are. You are his flock.

Develop a flock call and use the same phrase every time. Do answer flock calls

On advice to add one. It could effect your friendship, or not. All I can offer is my personal opinion , I do think budgies should have a freind. They have a very strong flocking instinct.

I have 3 , 2 rehomes and rescued escaped one who's faimly couldn't be found. If one Flys to the other side of my great room they all call frantically to each other, till they re group. I just planned on offering them a great home but never tried to bind with them. One decided to be my friend on his own after a couple of years. They are free flighted. He Flys to me many times a day to hang out, we developed our own game of fingers. He has his two budgie buddies, but still chooses to hang out with me. Sometimes the others will fly over and land on my head, but they are fearful of me. The happy budgies keep up a happy constant chatter all day. I don't even notice it anymore. But when people call they think I'm at a bird store :). Definitely not loud enough to hear outside.

Since your burd isn't making noise at night, I doubt its disturbing neighbors. I don't know how thin your walls are. But if neighbors tv doesn't disturb you, then it's probably not loud enough chirping to disturb them,???

So I'd hope yours would still be interested in you. But I'd be sure to really work on your friendship and spend extra time with him. But I have no way of knowing how things would develop.

We had a trucker who git 2 untamed budgies, and successfully made friends with both.

Ok that's my story don't know if it helps....

But such a cutie you have @

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
Thanks for the input. I'll look into getting him a friend sooner than later.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'd make sure they were same sex.
You want to keep new burd separated, quarantine. A month is a good standard, as some disease have a long incubation time. And you don't want to put your burd st risk.

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
Very cute cuddle pictures.
Birds are flock creatures, so they flock and call to stay in touch. Its completely natural, and a hard wired behavior to stay with flock. Flock is safely. It isn't clinging, its how birds are. You are his flock.

Develop a flock call and use the same phrase every time. Do answer flock calls

On advice to add one. It could effect your friendship, or not. All I can offer is my personal opinion , I do think budgies should have a freind. They have a very strong flocking instinct.

I have 3 , 2 rehomes and rescued escaped one who's faimly couldn't be found. If one Flys to the other side of my great room they all call frantically to each other, till they re group. I just planned on offering them a great home but never tried to bind with them. One decided to be my friend on his own after a couple of years. They are free flighted. He Flys to me many times a day to hang out, we developed our own game of fingers. He has his two budgie buddies, but still chooses to hang out with me. Sometimes the others will fly over and land on my head, but they are fearful of me. The happy budgies keep up a happy constant chatter all day. I don't even notice it anymore. But when people call they think I'm at a bird store :). Definitely not loud enough to hear outside.

Since your burd isn't making noise at night, I doubt its disturbing neighbors. I don't know how thin your walls are. But if neighbors tv doesn't disturb you, then it's probably not loud enough chirping to disturb them,???

So I'd hope yours would still be interested in you. But I'd be sure to really work on your friendship and spend extra time with him. But I have no way of knowing how things would develop.

We had a trucker who git 2 untamed budgies, and successfully made friends with both.

Ok that's my story don't know if it helps....

But such a cutie you have @
Thanks for the advice. He's calmed down since and gon back to typical behavior. And thanks for the reassurance. I ended up getting this guy last night. He's in quarantine right now, but hopefully he fits in well here!

Attachments

• IMG_20211202_204636.jpg
    IMG_20211202_204636.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 69

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
look at the adorable birb! Looks like my sweet Cloudy!!!

Great on quarantine!!
Can't wait for more updates

Most Reactions