Conure died suddenly - lost for words

Lotusflower

Oct 18, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Fussy the Green Cheek Conure.
Oct 5th 2006 - Oct 18th 2016.
R.I.P
My beautiful Green Cheek conure died just a few hours ago and I am still in shock. I don't know what to think or say. He just turned 10 years old last week and I have had him since he was a baby, hand reared from the egg.

He has always been a happy and healthy bird with no issues apart from about 2.5 years ago having a little chest infection that was quickly cleared up with antibiotics.

I was out today for about 8 hours and he was fine when I left him. The first thing I do when I get home is to check on him and see if he is ok. Today when I walked into my place I heard him let out a strange and unusual sound, so I dropped my hand bag and immediately ran over to his cage. The best way I can describe the sound is a very loud ssssshhhhh. Not something I have heard him do before, having him for so long I am used to the sounds he makes and usually when I open the door and he hears the keys opening the door the first thing he greets me with is head bopping and a "what's up?" lol then it's cuddle time!

When I went over to his cage I was distressed with what I saw. He was clinging to the cage with one leg, wings spread out widely and one leg all curled up. He looked lifeless but eyes open. I didn't want to believe he was dead as he was clinging to the side of the cage. So i "unhooked" him from clinging onto the cage, he was warm but no signs of breathing or heart beat. I rushed him to the vet and the nurse said he had passed away. She did give me the option to have the vet open him up to see what happened but I was to distraught and just took him home and buried him but I am beyond words.

A happy and healthy bird doesn't just drop dead or do they?
I am also wondering when I found him clinging to the side of the cage was he still alive as I didn't think a dead bird can cling and then there was the shhhhhh sound he made just seconds earlier before i got to him.

I am so distraught and just looking for answers, similar experiences. Anything anyone can offer me.

I live alone and don't have anyone with me and he was my entire world. We were so close. It's been hours and i've never stopped crying.

Last edited:

Skittles2016

Oct 1, 2016
U.K, England
Parrots
1 yellow sided gcc: skittles
2 budgies: millie and jim

{r.i.p my baby coco and misty the sweetest cockatiels}
I'm so sorry for your loss, it's heartbreaking isn't it. I'm sure he had a lovely 10 years with you and he loved you so much he saved his last breathes to see you. Hopefully in time you can get another friend to help with this sudden empty space you now have, it won't be replacing your baby at all but sometimes it's the best way to help.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I'm so sorry. I don't know the right words either.

We lost a beloved Amazon this year. Since you asked ... The vet said that most birds give no indication that they are ill. One day they are singing, chirping, eating well and the next morning dead on the bottom of the cage. There is no way you could have known anything was wrong - and it may have been something acute, like a heart attack or stroke.

The sound you heard ... As Oliver died he made some terrible last croaks. I worried that he was crying in pain, but the vet explained that it was probably air being forced into the syrinx as he struggled for those last breaths. I really think he was holding on, and when we got home he felt safe enough to go, because he died not ten minutes after we returned from an afternoon out, in his beloved's hands. Maybe your darling relaxed when he heard you come home and gave you one last greeting.

I don't know if it makes anything better but this is often how they leave us, so pease let your mind be at peace about that, at least. You are in the company of those who understand the grievous pain of losing a beloved avian companion. Thank you for giving him 11 years of happiness. One day you will find that your memories of him are forever bright.

OP
Lotusflower

Lotusflower

Oct 18, 2016
Australia
Parrots
R.I.P
I'm so sorry for your loss, it's heartbreaking isn't it. I'm sure he had a lovely 10 years with you and he loved you so much he saved his last breathes to see you. Hopefully in time you can get another friend to help with this sudden empty space you now have, it won't be replacing your baby at all but sometimes it's the best way to help.

Thank you so much for your words. The pain is just so great at the moment. I wonder how I am ever going to get back to normality.
He was such a big part of my life and he loved coming out with me and rides in the car. My friends would always say he is not a bird, he is a guard dog LOL as he would always get angry and defensive if someone got near me and he thought they were going to hurt me lol.

He was known as the 'velcro' bird as when I was home he was literally 'glued' to me and didn't want to be in his cage or on the activity stand. All he wanted was to be with me. Either on my shoulder or up my sleeve or in my pocket lol.

I would always chop up his food and sit with him and hand feed him piece by piece and everyone thought I was crazy.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Fussy. They leave such a terrible hole in our hearts when they pass. It is obvious how much he was loved, and my heart is breaking for you.

Skittles2016

Oct 1, 2016
U.K, England
Parrots

Thank you so much for your words. The pain is just so great at the moment. I wonder how I am ever going to get back to normality.
He was such a big part of my life and he loved coming out with me and rides in the car. My friends would always say he is not a bird, he is a guard dog LOL as he would always get angry and defensive if someone got near me and he thought they were going to hurt me lol.

He was known as the 'velcro' bird as when I was home he was literally 'glued' to me and didn't want to be in his cage or on the activity stand. All he wanted was to be with me. Either on my shoulder or up my sleeve or in my pocket lol.

I would always chop up his food and sit with him and hand feed him piece by piece and everyone thought I was crazy.

He sounded like a complete sweetie :D I like to think that when our birds pass, especially if they were so attached like your little one was, then he'll still be sat on your shoulder or tucked into your pocket keeping warm with you. He'll never leave your side that's for sure!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Our deepest sympathy for you, from My Family. We experienced much the same thing, with our Maxie; alive one evening and finding him cold on the cage floor the next morning. At least your little Fussy was able to hang on and give you his last sound and he did not die alone, hearing and seeing his beloved human before going. Darn it, I m tearing up here at work.

Best thing to do is to keep his memory in your heart with some little token, maybe a feather, or favorite toy? Both Geri and I each have a special feather we keep from Maxie. Again, I am very sorry to hear this most upsetting news.

Al & Geri & Salty & Tinker

OP
Lotusflower

Lotusflower

Oct 18, 2016
Australia
Parrots
R.I.P
I'm so sorry. I don't know the right words either.

We lost a beloved Amazon this year. Since you asked ... The vet said that most birds give no indication that they are ill. One day they are singing, chirping, eating well and the next morning dead on the bottom of the cage. There is no way you could have known anything was wrong - and it may have been something acute, like a heart attack or stroke.

The sound you heard ... As Oliver died he made some terrible last croaks. I worried that he was crying in pain, but the vet explained that it was probably air being forced into the syrinx as he struggled for those last breaths. I really think he was holding on, and when we got home he felt safe enough to go, because he died not ten minutes after we returned from an afternoon out, in his beloved's hands. Maybe your darling relaxed when he heard you come home and gave you one last greeting.

I don't know if it makes anything better but this is often how they leave us, so pease let your mind be at peace about that, at least. You are in the company of those who understand the grievous pain of losing a beloved avian companion. Thank you for giving him 11 years of happiness. One day you will find that your memories of him are forever bright.

I am so sorry for the loss that you have experienced. It's something I would never wish upon anyone.
I am glad to have found this forum and the understanding and compassion is helping me to perk up a little and feel a little better.
Usually in times of sadness I would reach out to my little conure and he would console me but now I don't have that anymore :-(

OP
Lotusflower

Lotusflower

Oct 18, 2016
Australia
Parrots
R.I.P
I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Fussy. They leave such a terrible hole in our hearts when they pass. It is obvious how much he was loved, and my heart is breaking for you.

Thank you for your kind words. I think the suddeness of his passing is what I am struggling to deal with.

OP
Lotusflower

Lotusflower

Oct 18, 2016
Australia
Parrots
R.I.P

He sounded like a complete sweetie :D I like to think that when our birds pass, especially if they were so attached like your little one was, then he'll still be sat on your shoulder or tucked into your pocket keeping warm with you. He'll never leave your side that's for sure!

I like your way of thinking and hope it's true. I think I am to grief striken to feel anything at the moment. I can't even bring myself to clean up his cage. I have put it in the spare room, out of sight for now. But then I go into each room and find his toys, his seed and of course his favorite thing to do shredded paper LOL

OP
Lotusflower

Lotusflower

Oct 18, 2016
Australia
Parrots
R.I.P
Our deepest sympathy for you, from My Family. We experienced much the same thing, with our Maxie; alive one evening and finding him cold on the cage floor the next morning. At least your little Fussy was able to hang on and give you his last sound and he did not die alone, hearing and seeing his beloved human before going. Darn it, I m tearing up here at work.

Best thing to do is to keep his memory in your heart with some little token, maybe a feather, or favorite toy? Both Geri and I each have a special feather we keep from Maxie. Again, I am very sorry to hear this most upsetting news.

Al & Geri & Salty & Tinker
Thanks for your kind words and I am so sorry for what you too have experienced. The pain and grief is just simply unexplainable, apart from to those, such as yourself who have experienced this first hand.

Skittles2016

Oct 1, 2016
U.K, England
Parrots

I like your way of thinking and hope it's true. I think I am to grief striken to feel anything at the moment. I can't even bring myself to clean up his cage. I have put it in the spare room, out of sight for now. But then I go into each room and find his toys, his seed and of course his favorite thing to do shredded paper LOL

I understand. When I recently lost my cockatiel I didn't want to clean her cage, and I left the toys in as they were and used that as comfort to make it feel more 'real' still like she was still there and everything was normal. But it got to the point where I couldn't pretend and I wanted a companion again which is when I got my conure skittles, last week! I told her she was just "borrowing" these toys and that my cockatiel is with her in the cage in spirit :)

OP
Lotusflower

Lotusflower

Oct 18, 2016
Australia
Parrots
R.I.P

I understand. When I recently lost my cockatiel I didn't want to clean her cage, and I left the toys in as they were and used that as comfort to make it feel more 'real' still like she was still there and everything was normal. But it got to the point where I couldn't pretend and I wanted a companion again which is when I got my conure skittles, last week! I told her she was just "borrowing" these toys and that my cockatiel is with her in the cage in spirit :)

Awww. I like that you said 'borrowing' the toys. That is so very sweet.
Mine has toys all over the house. Pine cones with bits of sunflowers in them and little toys here and there. Just in case he got bored or hungry he didn't need to go to another room to get a toy or food or water. I am a nutter I know LOL

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Deepest condolences for your loss of Fussy, I'm so sorry. It's always hard to say goodby. It's obvious you had a very strong bond with your little love. There are no words to take away the pain you're feeling but in time the sweet memories from the years you shared will comfort you.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deepest condolences for your loss of Fussy. I hope in time his beautiful memories will bring more comfort than sadness. But for now please allow yourself to grieve as a testament to your love for Fussy.

A dear friend sent me this following a similar loss:

"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not a mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition and of unspeakable love." Washington Irving"

OP
Lotusflower

Lotusflower

Oct 18, 2016
Australia
Parrots
R.I.P
My deepest condolences for your loss of Fussy. I hope in time his beautiful memories will bring more comfort than sadness. But for now please allow yourself to grieve as a testament to your love for Fussy.

A dear friend sent me this following a similar loss:

"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not a mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition and of unspeakable love." Washington Irving"

Thanks so much for your words of kindness and for sharing that quote with me.
Resonated beautifully and shed a few extra tears.

Most Reactions

Latest posts