Conure holding wing straight in the air

Kourtneymbb

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
Kiwi - gcc
Kiwi is normally free Flighted but we are moving into a small apartment this week and she is very fast, so I had her wings trimmed slightly. I want her to get use to her surroundings.

After the trim she has been holding her left wing straight in the air. Like she is stretching but just holds it there. It is shaking a bit.

Is this a sprain, or is she just not use to having clipped wings?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Its quite likely the person who did the trimming did so clumsily and strained the parrots wing. I would not let this person do it again. We have our vet trim Salty's wings when he needs it.

OP
K

Kourtneymbb

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
Kiwi - gcc
Its quite likely the person who did the trimming did so clumsily and strained the parrots wing. I would not let this person do it again. We have our vet trim Salty's wings when he needs it.
Her wing is fine today and she is flying like a
Jet plane.

Also, vets make mistakes too.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Her wing is fine today and she is flying like a
Jet plane.

Also, vets make mistakes too.

Glad to hear she’s feeling better!

While vets can also make mistakes, and no one is trying to incriminate your parrot’s groomer, their wings are very delicate and easy to injure. A certified avian vet not only is less likely to make this mistake, but will also take responsibility and can help your bird recover if something untoward were to happen.

Obviously many good parrot groomers exist, and often it can be difficult to get a vet appointment nowadays. However, you did ask if we felt it was a strain and, without photos or a thorough exam, it is often best to assume the worst as parrots hide injuries.

Again, it is wonderful to hear she’s flying around just fine now. I’d keep an eye on the wing just in case, especially if that kind of stretching is outside her normal behavior. Especially look for swelling around the joints, if she will allow you to handle her wings.

OP
K

Kourtneymbb

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
Kiwi - gcc
Glad to hear she’s feeling better!

While vets can also make mistakes, and no one is trying to incriminate your parrot’s groomer, their wings are very delicate and easy to injure. A certified avian vet not only is less likely to make this mistake, but will also take responsibility and can help your bird recover if something untoward were to happen.

Obviously many good parrot groomers exist, and often it can be difficult to get a vet appointment nowadays. However, you did ask if we felt it was a strain and, without photos or a thorough exam, it is often best to assume the worst as parrots hide injuries.

Again, it is wonderful to hear she’s flying around just fine now. I’d keep an eye on the wing just in case, especially if that kind of stretching is outside her normal behavior. Especially look for swelling around the joints, if she will allow you to handle her wings.
Thank you I will keep an eye out!

Most Reactions