Conure poop tail movement/bop

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021
Hi everyone, I got my green cheek conure Yoshi about 3 days ago, he is the most wonderful and sweetest boy ever. Very chill and adventurous as well. He eats a bunch and his poop is very normal.
My concern is when he poops he does this odd movement with his tail, he doesn't seem bothered by it, he chirps to announce he pooping like the video but he goes plenty of times without doing that along with pooping and going about his day the other times.
As far as I know he does the movement every time he goes. Any idea why this could be? He's only 2 months old so maybe he's still learning how to be a bird or something? Im hoping its a case of overthinking and this is just how he poops lol. Any thoughts and or ideas would be so helpful.

[ame="https://youtu.be/29IGSXv-nB4"]tail movement/bop - YouTube[/ame] <-- video link

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hmm. How long does he do that before something actually comes out? Is he straining? It's hard to tell when you aren't right there next to them.

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
My bird makes a distinctive movement when he's about to poop. He squats a bit and lifts his tail slightly. It does look like he is straining though, I couldn't actually tell when he pooped in the video, but it seems to last a long time. Have you been training to poop on command at all? Sometimes birds learn they get a year and try and force themselves to poop.

OP
B

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021
Hmm. How long does he do that before something actually comes out? Is he straining? It's hard to tell when you aren't right there next to them.

Its once he poops he does that. He poops in the first second of the video and then does the tail movement. I don't know if he's straining because it comes out fine its just the after movement that is weird to me and hopefully just to me.

OP
B

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021
My bird makes a distinctive movement when he's about to poop. He squats a bit and lifts his tail slightly. It does look like he is straining though, I couldn't actually tell when he pooped in the video, but it seems to last a long time. Have you been training to poop on command at all? Sometimes birds learn they get a year and try and force themselves to poop.

He poops in the first second of the video, if you look closely you see the poop come out and then he proceeds with the tail movement/bop. he doesn't strain for what i can see. I've had birds before never a baby however, this is a first for me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts