Conure room in the basement?

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
Violet Green Cheeked Conure
I want to move my GCC to the basement. Is this safe? It's a bit cold, but I can definitely get a space heater. I'm mostly worried about the ceiling and the tanks in the rooms beside it. It's not a finished basement, but I want to change it up and make it into a bird room. I'm not sure if having a bird near the tanks and etc would harm them, and the ceiling of the basement has lots of gaps. (Some tubes too, but they are vents and can just be closed.)

Would it be safe?

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Safety is always a concern with captive parrots. Would Quetki be caged in the basement? An unfinished area would surely present more potential hazards. What is in the tanks you mention? Heating oil? Propane?

Parrots are highly social, being flock animals in nature. It sounds as though no humans spend time in the basement, so Quetki would be the only living creature there, which would make Quetki lonely very quickly, leading to greater likelihood that the parrot destroys the environment or itself (plucking, mutilation, etc.). In destroying the environment, hazards will be encountered.

I commend you for wanting to give Quetki more space, but ideally it should be space shared with the flock member(s), which is you. :) I converted my Florida room (sun room) to "The Conure Club", housing three Conures: a Peach-fronted, a GCC, and a Brown-throated. They were all very excited by my visits each and every time, for a long time—even though they had each other. This is because they were all raised to be part of a "human flock". So, even with other Conures, they still felt alone.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
This is an interesting, related thread:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Unfinished basements, depending on your location and local conditions are faced with an array of issues. The full array of bacteria, viruses, molds, etc, etc.. And the full cross-section of bugs and othered creatures. The list of environmental issues is even greater, plus whatever is in the tanks (my guess is Heating Oil and /or water pressure tank. Lite gas storage tanks are not allowed inside of ones home!!

The Post above well documents the issues of Social Companion Parrots and the nightmare they face when placed out and away from the Family.

Basic Science: Warm air rises and cooler air falls! Space Heaters are expensive and will be even more expensive each year as the cost of electricity skyrockets.

Long way to say, Not a Good Idea!

Last edited:

Most Reactions