MonicaMc

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Pellet paste? Where do I find the article they are talking about? Newbie with two finicky green cheeks

All it is is mixing pellets with water, to make a thick "paste". If the pellets are particularly hard (i.e. don't soak up water very well), then it may help to grind the pellets into a powder (coffee grinder anyone?) before mixing in the water.

Video again....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIBbhF7Jk3k"]Conversion from seed to pellet (1).mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Mom2Oatty

Feb 15, 2017
NC
Parrots
Oatty: 20 month Quaker
Wow, what an incredibly awesome thread of information. I'm not one to bring up old threads, but this one should not go without mad respect! Thanks for the hard work! Now, wish me luck! <3

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wow, what an incredibly awesome thread of information. I'm not one to bring up old threads, but this one should not go without mad respect! Thanks for the hard work! Now, wish me luck! <3

This is a thread we often link to new members soliciting information! Very much worth digging up!!

carolflan

May 23, 2017
I wouldn't worry about pellets...if you provide enough variation with the fruits and vegtables. I only recently incorporated some Roudybush into our b&g's diet - and Jack has eaten nothing but beans, fruit, veg, and nuts since we got him three years ago before this. When we run out of this 40lbs of pellet I got for free, lol - (had to freeze a lot of it, as I will only allow 12 or so pellets a day) I will continue to not worry about it. Keep in mind, I do make a birdie chop with many varied ingredients, heavy on the bean...would be glad to share this with you if you like. :)
Why do u only allow 12 or so pellet per day? I have a bowl full in my Galah cockatoo cage to nibble at her discretion. . Obviously I feed loads of other thing alongside including a bit of seed now and again and nuts . (Just curious )

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Rainbird

Dec 6, 2017
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Athena 14 mnth old Red Tail Black Cockatoo
Wealth of information here, thankyou.
Ive recently got a red tailed black cocky and started introducing her to parrot pellets, thankfully she loves them :D

HenrytheParakeet

Jul 24, 2019
Parrots
Parakeets: Henry, Sammy, Tweety, Petey
Macaws: Magoo, Peggy
Cockatoos: Luke, Lola, Gabby
Amazons: Tommy, Bulldog, Lucy, Bubba, Lila
Thank you for the tips!

TrebleMama

Nov 22, 2019
Michigan
Parrots
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon
Great thread, need to read through it a few times and process the info! We just brought our Amazon home a few days ago and he's been on the store's specialty blend, which looks like a bunch of different things. Observing him though, he definitely is picking out the dried fruit and not really eating the pellets.

We bought a few pounds of the mix when we got him, but the store is 3 hours away round trip, so I need to come up with something different for him. I'm working on getting him into a vet, to have a well check-up, so I'll write some notes down from this thread and then ask about diet recommendations when we go in!

Chirpy

Jan 16, 2020
Media
Australia
Parrots
Turquoise Parakeet - Grinchy
This is a great thread, i havent had a chance to read it all yet but skimmed the 1st post.
I noticed you mentioned the best time to try your bird on new food is when they're their hungriest.
I only recently got a turquoise parakeet which is still young.
I always keep the seed and water in the cage for my parakeet. Even if im trying it on a new food like fruit and vegetables, the seed is there. So should I take the seed out and put whatever I'm trying it on where the seed usualy is?

OP
MonicaMc

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
This is a great thread, i havent had a chance to read it all yet but skimmed the 1st post.
I noticed you mentioned the best time to try your bird on new food is when they're their hungriest.
I only recently got a turquoise parakeet which is still young.
I always keep the seed and water in the cage for my parakeet. Even if im trying it on a new food like fruit and vegetables, the seed is there. So should I take the seed out and put whatever I'm trying it on where the seed usualy is?

The short and simple answer is yes. You can always sprinkle the new food with seed to make it more appealing as well. (if you see this)

Seed can be reintroduced once the new food is removed.

Turq's should always have seeds as part of their diet. If you don't want to feed dry seeds, then feed sprouted seeds instead.

H.Hikaru

Feb 15, 2023
Parrots
Lovebirds (2)
Cockatiel (1)
A healthy parrot starts with a healthy diet. Although the perfect diet is controversial, many parrot enthusiasts and experts agree on one thing; a seed only diet is a diet that is lacking in essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Studies have shown that adding fresh foods and pellets to a parrots diet can not only increase their health but may also prolong their lifespan. A healthy diet can help aid a birds immune system in keeping illnesses away. Feeding a healthy diet and having your bird eat a healthy diet can be entirely two different things! So, how do you get a seed junky, perch potato to eat healthier? In this guide, we will go through a few different techniques that you can use to get your birds eating healthier!

When deciding to change your parrots diet, it is essential to speak with your avian vet about a diet plan. Your avian vet may be able to help you set diet goals for your bird, give you tips and advice on switching over, and help you along the way. The avian vet can tell you if your parrot is underweight, overweight, or 'just right' and the a-vet can do blood work to determine if your parrot should be on a special diet. If your bird is sick, it is best to get your bird healthy before trying to make a diet change.

Make sure that you have a gram scale to weigh your bird daily. The best time to weigh your bird is first thing in the morning after the 'big bomb.' Keep a journal of your parrot's weight so you can figure out if your bird is gaining or loosing weight too quickly, or staying just right. A gram scale can help you determine if you are making the diet change at the right pace or taking things too quickly. Gram scales can be bought at any grocery store, simply look for a kitchen scale or a postal scale. Using a digital gram scale may help you keep more accurate records.

During this transitional diet, it may be advised to also keep track of what diet changes you did in your journal as well as your birds behavior throughout the day, noting how often and when your bird is eating. Keeping a journal or diary may help you spot any behavior changes and can help you determine if you are going forwards or backwards during this conversion.

Using a dye-free, natural and/or organic pellet is best. It's recommended to use pellets as 25-50% of the diet for small species, while the larger species do well with 50-75% pellets. Studies are showing that small birds fed a diet too high in pellets often suffer from kidney problems. Eclectus may do best on the Rice Diet from Roudybush or on a fresh food based diet. Parrotlets, particularly mutation parrotlets, may do best on a dye-free, organic/natural pellet or a fresh food based diet. Each bird is an individual, and what may work for one may not work for another. Getting blood panels done can tell you if you have your bird on the right diet or if additional diet changes may be required.
Hello, im a fairly new bird owner. I have a pair of lovebirds that eat just anything they can touch and they are very healthy and chaotic. I also have a 4 months old cockatiel that is extremely picky with his food, i tried a lot of method from changing on how its chopped, dry food , mixing it with his favorite food (millet) and he still dont wanna eat anything but his millet.

Problem is, he is clearly showing sign of vitamin defeciency, his feet is flaky and i even had a vet check him. He is active and reactive but lack of vitamin, they gave me a liquid vitamin which works but i wouldnt want him to eat only millet in the future. How do i convert him without him starving himself?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
MIllet is like crack for some birds! Me, I would strip the millet off the stems and serve it like that, and very gradually intermix some appropriately sized pellets. Over a month or 2, start replacing the millet with the pellets, until his dish is mostly pellets with a tiny bit of millet. If you weigh each and keep track of it, it can tell you if he is eating any of the pellets.

Tough situation, hope it works out for you!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Sweet Treats

If there is one particular seed that your bird enjoys out of their seed mix, such as sunflower seeds, peanuts, nuts, safflower seeds, etc, remove that one favorite seed from their seed mix. Introduce a treat cup inside the cage, and two to three times throughout the day, put in 1-3 pieces of their favorite seeds. After your bird learns that this particular dish equals treats, the next time you give a piece of a treat, drop in a pellet or two. If you notice that your bird is eating the pellets along with the treats, you can increase the amount of pellets until they become a part of the diet.

Size Matters

Many birds may not find the bigger sized pellets appealing enough to try. This is especially so with budgies and cockatiels who may prefer seed sized pellets instead of the larger ones. Some species may prefer larger sized pellets over the smaller ones. Green cheek conures can eat either the cockatiel sized pellets or the conure sized pellets. If you are having an issue getting your bird to eat pellets, try a larger or smaller sized pellet to get them eating. Some large parrots have been known for enjoying the smaller sized pellets.

If you can find millet colored pellets, you can try buying some millet sized pellets and mixing the two together. Once the birds finishing eating the millet they might try the pellets since it's "somewhat" similar in size and color.

Juicy Supreme

Many parrots may find that pellets are too dry and uninteresting. To spruce things up, try adding some water or fruit juice to the pellets. Birds who enjoy dipping their pellets may be less inclined to make "parrot soup" if their pellets are already moistened a bit!
What I like about Harrison's high potency super fine granules for my Budgies is that they are the size of hulled millet and ground millet is one of the main ingredients (plus all the "good stuff" you want your bird to eat) so it tastes good to them. I mixed them with my baby Rocky's baby formula the last two weeks of hand feeding to give it texture and he weaned onto them. He also wants to eat ANYTHING I'm eating! Unfortunately he also wants to eat the food on our plates even when I make him his own dish!

Most Reactions

Latest posts