Cookware questions

RastasPeace23

Mar 25, 2013
California
Parrots
I have a Jenday Conure named Rasta.
Hello everyone. :)

I recently acquired a green cheek conure after not having any birds in my home for the last seven years, since losing my last Conure. It was not something I planned, but there was an instant connection and before I knew it, I was bringing my new friend home. I feel like I’m back in the shoes of that person I was 10 years ago who got their first pet bird ever and was a nervous wreck. This time around, I like to think that I have most of my bases covered, except for the one thing that I never really solved last time. And that is cooking with Teflon. I have had my bird for about one week as of tomorrow. And this past week my family has been cooking with stainless steel only. While I have a few issues with doing this, not everybody is adjusting as well. So I recently purchased nonstick cookware that is PFOA and PFOS free. I’m just nervous still because it seems there are many conflicting views out there. So I’m just wondering what people on this forum think. So far this past week I have made sure that we always ventilate the kitchen well while cooking, I’ve also been running our air purifier, 24/7, and have stopped using air fresheners and other strong smelling chemicals and such. I’m trying to compromise with my family by buying this pan set in hopes that it is safer than all the teflon we have been using for years that I’ve been wanting to get rid of anyways. I’m attaching a couple images of the box. The cookware came in. Thank you in advance for any information and opinions you have. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpeg
    IMG_1611.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1612.jpeg
    IMG_1612.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 42

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello everyone. :)

I recently acquired a green cheek conure after not having any birds in my home for the last seven years, since losing my last Conure. It was not something I planned, but there was an instant connection and before I knew it, I was bringing my new friend home. I feel like I’m back in the shoes of that person I was 10 years ago who got their first pet bird ever and was a nervous wreck. This time around, I like to think that I have most of my bases covered, except for the one thing that I never really solved last time. And that is cooking with Teflon. I have had my bird for about one week as of tomorrow. And this past week my family has been cooking with stainless steel only. While I have a few issues with doing this, not everybody is adjusting as well. So I recently purchased nonstick cookware that is PFOA and PFOS free. I’m just nervous still because it seems there are many conflicting views out there. So I’m just wondering what people on this forum think. So far this past week I have made sure that we always ventilate the kitchen well while cooking, I’ve also been running our air purifier, 24/7, and have stopped using air fresheners and other strong smelling chemicals and such. I’m trying to compromise with my family by buying this pan set in hopes that it is safer than all the teflon we have been using for years that I’ve been wanting to get rid of anyways. I’m attaching a couple images of the box. The cookware came in. Thank you in advance for any information and opinions you have. 😊
Congratulations on your new BFF!
I use non-stick cookware with the same coating as the ones in the pictures and have no problems. I have six budgies in my 25x20 great room/kitchen and cook on my liquid propane gas stove frequently. I do put on the vent fan over the stove whenever I use it but that's mostly to vent out any smoke and excess heat. I really like the frying pans for making eggs. You barely have to use any oil to cook because nothing sticks to them. Don't use metal utensils or you'll scratch the finish. I also use stainless steel pots and pans and never use any Teflon.

OP
R

RastasPeace23

Mar 25, 2013
California
Parrots
I have a Jenday Conure named Rasta.
Congratulations on your new BFF!
I use non-stick cookware with the same coating as the ones in the pictures and have no problems. I have six budgies in my 25x20 great room/kitchen and cook on my liquid propane gas stove frequently. I do put on the vent fan over the stove whenever I use it but that's mostly to vent out any smoke and excess heat. I really like the frying pans for making eggs. You barely have to use any oil to cook because nothing sticks to them. Don't use metal utensils or you'll scratch the finish. I also use stainless steel pots and pans and never use any Teflon.
This makes me feel so much better. I did my best to find a set the was labeled PFOA and PFOS free. I’ve only had Rio a week, but I’m obsessed with him already and want to keep him safe. 🦜

Mar 23, 2023
Parrots
Green Wing - Maxine
Conure - Apple
I have been advised multiple times to stay away from any kind of non-stick cookware. I always used plain steel and cast iron anyway, so that wasn't a problem. I also stay away from any kind of aerosol, incense, or candles. If you have any kind of thing that affects your air, the only things I would recommend are a humidifier or a dehumidifier. I take a lot of precautions with my house as I have 2 birds and want to keep them as healthy as possible so that they can live a long healthy and happy life.

Just be ready to fall head over heels in love.:)

Hope this helps.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I bought ceramic grill with no PTFE or any coating. It works for me and cleans fine.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi there! THe problem with those statements is that any tiny alteration in the chemical make up of the coating, just one molecule difference, allows the manufacturer to say 'Teflon, PFOA and PFOS free" because technically ( and legally) they are. However that tiny difference is not enough to lose the mortal consequences of use around parrots. Aside from that, I assure you your cookware was made in China, and 20 years of personal experience with Chinese manufacturers has shown that they completely disregard anything that prevents them from making the most $$$ on something. If that means using a shady supplier of the chemicals or just outright use of them on purpose, they will do it. I assure you they are not thinking of protecting your parrot!

We threw out any and all utensils and appliances that use Teflon or similar coatings when we got Salty, as our last parrot just passed away one day with absolutely no warning. The minor inconvenience of having to wash pots and pans pales in comparison with having to face the death of a loved Parrot. And washing dishes builds character! FYI - most appliances that use heat, air fryers, hair dryers, curling irons, crock pots - all these and more, use a heating element that is usually coated with some type of these chemicals, as an anti-corrosion agent.

Teflon and PFOA and PFOS coatings are not in themselves dangerous, it is only when they are exposed to heat higher then anticipated that they start to breakdown and release these toxic fumes. Appliances have electronic controls that prevent this unanticipated overheating (WHICH HOPEFULLY WORK), but pots and pans - well WE are the controls for them and a pan left too long on the fire, or left empty and allowed to overheat - that's where the real danger lies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts