Cookware

freshprincess87

Dec 30, 2016
Australia
Parrots
8 little lovebirds
Hi everyone,

Hope its ok to have a separate thread for a separate topic. I would like to ask if you think this particular cookware item is safe? It's from a local retailer called harris scarfe. I have one frying pan thats similar to this one but bought it years ago and its a different brand and have used it without issues. But the older one specified it didn't have ptfe and pfoa. And it's not that bluestone stuff either.

Here is the link to the one I saw in the shops:

I currently mostly use stainless steel. I also use lower heat too. Takes me longer to cook but I tend to be a bit slow with cooking these days anyway. I used to have a few from kmart but they burnt too quickly, so I found a good quality stainless steel pot from Woolworths. And another a few weeks ago also from harris scarfe. When I saw this bluestone one also on sale, I thought it might be good to have an extra pot available. But didn't want to if it mightn't be safe. That shop has lots of good quality stainless steel anyway so I could always get an extra stainless steel one when they do another sale.

Thank you in advance for any advice or opinions. It says non pfoa and ptfe but then also says non stick. So I'm confused, Is all non stick unsafe? Is cast iron also non stick? Because cast iron is safe in bird houses. I've never used cast iron. I think my mum does though. And she hasn't bought new pans or pots in a very long time.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not impressed with their marketing word choices as this product is likely ceramic with a color agent added to it. Ceramic requires a solid base to assure that the ceramic coat does not flex and as a result crack.
The cook surface is likely safe, but care will be needed to watch for cracking as the product ages. This product should not be exposed to rapid changes in temperature as the bonding surface can separate and that would lead to cracking as well.
Congratulations of your cooking style!!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Cast iron is not nonstick but is quite slippery if itā€™s properly cared for. The biggest downside with cast iron is itā€™s heaviness. Then again, I donā€™t scrub it each time I use it; I wipe the crumbs out and wipe it clean.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Stainless steel cookware is about the best all-around choice. I don't know much about the Bluestone but I'm not sure I would be completely comfortable using it.

Cast iron is excellent and will last a lifetime. I have a cast iron frying pan that was one of my grandmother's wedding presents over 100 years ago and I still use it regularly. It's not that hard to clean but after all those years, it is well broken in. :)

Old-fashioned enamelware is good too. It's safe, durable and not hard to clean (I speak as an old bachelor who hates scrubbing pots and pans :giggle: ).

OP
F

freshprincess87

Dec 30, 2016
Australia
Parrots
8 little lovebirds
Thank you everyone for the replies. I didn't end up getting that bluestone product. I might just stick with stainless steel. I also don't like scrubbing pots and pans after cooking, but I end up doing it anyway. Cooking a meal that will last another day ends up being a 2 or so hours job nowadays. I might keep an eye out on another stainless steel product hough in the future and cast iron too. I did see some cast iron products but they are quite pricey so I'd have to save up for those. I remember even the stainless steel pot I got from woolworths was pricey at like $50 or $60 but I remember getting it on sale. But now I can't seem to find it there anymore. It's quite heavy so I'm already used to using heavier pots. And thank you for the advice on rapid changes in temperature. This is actually quite useful for me even while using stainless steel. I think i accidentally burnt the stainless steel one I purchased a few weeks ago due to possibly rapidly changing the heat mode.

Most Reactions

Latest posts