cool duck story (a tradition started many years ago by a mother duck and a teacher)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
https://www.kcci.com/article/mother-duck-leads-ducklings-through-school/36373133 <---video here (watch all before you judge, as I almost did)

I don't live in this area, but I saw this and thought it was really cool that the people are respectful and try not to disturb them. I hope my daily visiting ducks (also mallards) don't nest in my yard though (because I think the water is farther away!!!)
I love that the kids are so respectful-- it makes me nervous (because you never know..but I will say, Noodles has been well-respected even among some of my most "intense" students-- unless you have a kid who likes harming animals, the majority of kids seem to just get it) so long as the expectations are CRYSTAL CLEAR) :)

To be clear
(because I was nervous watching this initially) this was not started for the kids (thank goodness)-- it was an accident. The first duck mom plopped her eggs in the closed/walled courtyard of the elementary school 2 decades ago and then, the flightless babies couldn't get out (so people found a solution). Due to the nature of ducks, the new mothers kept nesting in the same spot when they grew up...Heck, could even be the same mother multiple years in a row..

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thats a smart momma. Having her babies in a walled in fortress all safe from predators till they are ready to swim.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
OMG I laughed so hard when they went QUACK QUACK QUACK down the hall to the other door! Thanks for putting a huge :D on my face today!

Jim

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
OMG I laughed so hard when they went QUACK QUACK QUACK down the hall to the other door! Thanks for putting a huge :D on my face today!

Jim

LOL! GLAD YOU GOT A KICK OUT OF IT TOO! That was my favorite part as well ha

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Great story, thanks for posting. Like Jim, it brought a smile to my face.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Architecture of about 40 years ago, began incorporating such 'areas' into a fairly wide cross-section of building in a attempt to provide a great number of renters, visitors and employees windows with a view. Duck's nesting in such places and completing such a walk occurs.

It is fairly common for ducks to make this kind of selection as a means of being away from ponds, lakes, etc. (as stated above) where predators are far more common.

Thank's for the Video as it clearly added to a morning smile.

Most Reactions

Latest posts