Coping with ANCIENT FIDS

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Speaking of really ollllllllllllld birds...

Well, we are now!

Based on an average human male life span of 76, and an average Patagonian Conure lifespan of 30, I used a little equation to project that, at almost 38 years of age, the Rickeybird is about 96 years old "in human years". I know that's a bit of a stretch in biological logic, but it really struck me! Wow. That's old!

So when he is grouchy, when he refuses his medicines, when his vet bills are so high, when he has less interest in playing, when he bites me for no reason, when he screams and scream and screams, when he declines affection, when he seems not to know me, when he is... just not the same...

There's a reason. And shame on ME for ever haing a moment's impatience with my darling. Thank you, PF, for helping. But it can be hard. Not the least part of which is the worry about... further decline, death, horrible decisions...

I know I'm discussing something emotional when I start using too many dot-dot-dots (...). I know there's a name for that, but I can't think of it!

Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy... do any of you other parronts of ancient fids ever find yourself needing a helping hand, or even a stern lecture?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Awww, Gaily Sunshine, I'm so sorry that you are in a place where you have to think about such things, but at the same time, so happy and proud that you're in a place where you can think of those same things. You, my dear friend, have done right by your Rickeybird. What an extraordinary life you've given him, and continue to do so. Eventually, you'll be faced with the inevitable. No way around it, but I have no doubt that you will make the right decisions on his behalf when that time comes. Hopefully that won't be for a long time.

I've never had to make that kind choices for my birds, and honestly, I often wonder if I could if it came down to it. Other pets, yes. We lost our mastiff, Bentley, a few weeks ago. Much like the Rickeybird, he was OLD at 11. Average for his breed is 5-8. We did everything we could, but at the very end, he looked in my eyes and told me it was okay, and he was ready to go. In 8 years, that was the one and only time he looked me straight in the eye. I knew.

So, no stern lectures from me, but I'm always here to lend that helping hand if you need it. Love you bunches, Sistah! ❤️

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Gail, this is such an important topic. It is so hard to see a bird (or any other animal) we love start to change & decline because of their age. I have had to make that terrible decision for my dogs, but never yet for one of my flock. They have all passed peacefully here at home. What I can say is that I let my dogs go to ease their pain, and even though it would be heartbreaking I can and will do the same if it comes to that with my birds.
You have always put Rickeybird first and foremost in any decisions you have made, and you are one of the strongest women I have ever had the honour to know. I am always here for you, please never forget that.
I currently have a couple of birds who are old, and I take a deep breath every time I go into their room in the morning. Wondering if today is the day. Thank goodness it wasn't today, and I hope it isn't tomorrow either.
No stern lecture here, only love, understanding & a hand to hold when you need one.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Certainly no stern lectures from me here either, Aunty G! I have only ever faced a decision like this once in my life, when my sweet little Pete the budgie had cancer many years ago. With skilled and sensitive treatment from our vet he kept going for about a year and a half longer than he otherwise might have, and remained our sweet, happy and chirpy little man. But one day he gave me a look that told me in no uncertain terms that he had had enough, and we knew what we had to do. I simply cannot imagine being faced with a similar situation after as many years as you have been with the Rb, but you and he are so in tune with each other that I know that you will know the right thing to do by him and when. And I pray that the “when” is still a very long way away.

Aunty G, you and your pair of rascally roosters have brought so much joy and inspiration to me and everyone else who has ever known you, and it will be our privilege to honour the Rb’s life with you if and when that fateful day finally does arrive. I love you all so very much, of the many members of your PF family who love you too are here for you, for whatever you need, whenever you need it.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Oh, my loves, thank you. I needed something indefinable, and you understood me perfectly.
Saxy, Terry, Smarty... thank you. You're my peeps. You are so dear to me. I will never, ever, EVER let you off the hook.
I'm glad I started this thread... for me, and for the others who are in my shoes. On my perch. You know what I mean!
xoxoxo

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Lucky was my oldest Cockatiel and because he was a rescue I never new how old he was. He was over 20 that was for sure. I always expected he would be the first Cockatiel I would loose but it didn't work out that way.
I could tell he was slowing down. He took longer to bounce back after a molt.
He flew in a slow motion, energy saving way (hard to describe).
Then he got sick and was unable to recover despite 2 different vet's and multiple meds.

Now I have Baby to worry about . I bought Baby as a companion for Lucky and I got him right after finding Lucky (2001/2002). So he is not far behind Lucky as far as age goes.
No sign of him slowing down although he is lonely missing his friend.:cry:
So far he does not get along with any of my other Tiels.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
When one surrounds themselves with older and often sick Amazons. Reality is far too often with one. Some days, Amazon Hill is just to heartbreaking to visit. Other days, the visit brings a smile to me as I recall all the Love that they shared with us.

Love them deeply during the time we have together as whether they are having a good day, bad day or just being a grumpy day. They all melt together and so very happy that they shared it with us!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
...to honour the Rb’s life with you if and when that fateful day finally does arrive....

SO. Just bringing to light, thoughts that are hidden. At Least one, and likely many more, of the distinguished members of this esteemed Forum, clearly harbor well-justified suspicions that the aged RB just Might be Immortal.

Not sure how fully reassuring this explication will be to you, but, I am confident that Rival should find Much Comfort in the thought.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
All I can add is this..live long (which RB and you are) and prosper...(again...like the before statement) and keep on keeeping on Ms Gail! (and Rickey and Rival of course!)

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Every day a gift, dearest Gail! ❤️ I've had nightmares or visions of walking into a room and observing one of my older birds in lifeless state. Prompts me to love them dearly, cater to their every whim, steel myself for any eventuality. Discussion is cathartic, thank you for raising an uncomfortable but necessary issues. We'll brainstorm together!! 🧠

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Tex, you are always my special buddy. We go wayyy back, and I treasure you.
Mr. Boats... it's been a long ol' time. I always turn to you, in public and privately.
Jen! Well... as long as he is remembered here, the dang ol' Rb *IS* immortal. Thank you!
Jim, my darling, what have we NOT shared? Feathers, hugs, stories...
Scott, my Ace... THE even keel...plenty of bird anatomy and aviation puns a-plenty there...

Thank you, all.

More to come.

My nerves are salved, for now. But don't go anywhere!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Ah, doesn't this remind me of my old ancient cat - He was suposed to pass away at age of 11, but he got to live another 7 blissful years.

I fully understand the pain when our beloved pet simply changes because of the age. My cat has simply become a hassle when he turned 16 or so - he was such a senile and deaf old fart. Quite hard to handle, and perhaps I should've needed that stern slap over the hands whenever I was perhaps harsh with my old pets - My cats, my dog, My dear old Zeleni. I went through so many heartaches and they always seem fresh, so never ever be so stern with yourself.

I might now know you for long, but I already adore your and the senior Rb. Both of you are so precious. And yeah, who knows, perhaps he is immortal!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

I fret over Amy. He's not quite as senior as Rickybird (will be 32 in December). Being on heart meds, I worry is he getting a full dose? He WILL NOT allow me to the syringe to his beak. He didn't know what was about to happen the first time and I got him to take it,next time he wised up,kicking at the barrel of the syringe and/or chewing the side,now he gets a small piece of toast or bread,some times he eats all of it,other times...nope. I worry one day when I uncover his house he won't be at his front door waiting for his morning skritch..I'll find him on his basement floor. :(

Jim

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Skarita, you're a real keeper. I'm so glad you're one of us.

Jim... yeah... the medication wars...
Usually the Rb takes his Enalapril heart med in a teaspoon of OJ these days. But now the vet has added a second med, Isoxsuprine, which he can apparently see or taste or...? Anyway, I am still looking for a way to get it in him... it's been a couple of weeks so far. I've tried juices, sauces, mashed stuff, breads... I'll figure something out. I hope.
No seizures since he started the Enalapril a couple of years ago, but his hematocrit is sneaking upwards (the numbers are mysterious to me but concerning to Dr. Wonderful).
So what can I do?
I truly feel your pain.
We love 'em so much, don't we??????
GAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Skarita, you're a real keeper. I'm so glad you're one of us.

Jim... yeah... the medication wars...
Usually the Rb takes his Enalapril heart med in a teaspoon of OJ these days. But now the vet has added a second med, Isoxsuprine, which he can apparently see or taste or...? Anyway, I am still looking for a way to get it in him... it's been a couple of weeks so far. I've tried juices, sauces, mashed stuff, breads... I'll figure something out. I hope.
No seizures since he started the Enalapril a couple of years ago, but his hematocrit is sneaking upwards (the numbers are mysterious to me but concerning to Dr. Wonderful).
So what can I do?
I truly feel your pain.
We love 'em so much, don't we??????
GAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

"But now the vet has added a second med, Isoxsuprine, which he can apparently see or taste or.."

Same med the Green Dino takes...

Jim

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Melted ice cream is good for disguising icky tastes. The fat seems to block them. Then again, given how much birds love pepper, maybe melted ice cream with hot sauce?
I wish there was some helpful thing to say in advance that would make the bridge easier to cross when it comes. Maybe that’s what the rest of our lives are for…building up enough strength for the heavy lifting. But somehow it’s the tiniest creatures that crush us the most. All we can say is we will be here when, if, you ever want to talk. And remember you have given RB the greatest gift possible: a lifetime of companionship, abundant in chilis, overflowing with loving care. I think some part of him always knows and remembers you, even if it doesn’t always show. And we will always remember you both, always.

Most Reactions

Latest posts