Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I made my own version of this recipe with what I had on hand and I added chopped kale in. Do you think that ruined the nutritional value of it? I have such a hard time getting Taz to eat greens, so I snuck some into the birdie bread. And mine was heavy on the berries, because that boy will hardly eat anything fresh otherwise. I used much smaller diced food so maybe he'd actually eat it and just because he's a small bird anyway and can't handle big bites. I used the kale, egg shells, carrots, conure seed diet, a small amount of millet, raspberries reduced down on the stove into a sugarless jelly form, fresh backberries in a cornbread base. It's what I had in the house at the time-but it was inspired by your recipe. I think next time I'll load it up with even more fresh foods, I don't think I put enough in this time. But it was my very first try making bird food from scratch so I'm on a learning curve.

Taz actually ate it up so well I was shocked. After 8 years of living as a breeder bird on a poor diet, he's a seed junkie. And not even good seed, he chooses the bad over the good seed in his bowl. To see him pass up his seed for birdie bread was so surprising and delightful :) Thanks for posting this Terry.
2015-01-1720083128_zpsfrmibest.jpg

Those look amazing! And I think the kale added to the nutritional value, I am going to add that myself next time I make these.
I am so happy that Taz loved them, that makes my day:)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have tried many different ways of making this basic recipe. Zilla will eat all of them. I always try to get some grated sweet potato, zucchini, acorn squash, broccoli, carrots, apples, pears, whatever I have on hand that she normally turns her beak up at she will eat if it's baked into birdie bread! I use mashed sweet potato, home made apple sauce, rolled oats, etc... I figure the more good stuff I pack into it the more good stuff she will eat!

I am so glad that Miss Zilla loves this! Your additions sound great too, I am going to have to make some this week using the new additions y'all have posted about.

Most Reactions

Latest posts