May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
My little girlie, Picasso, wasn't on her normal perch this morning. Panicked, I looked at the bottom of the cage expecting the worse, but she was just sleeping on her stomach while fluffed up. It was adorable, and she's only ever "potatoed" on the top of the cage before, and only once. I am very worried, though, because of this behavior. She ate normally and doesn't seem ill, but should I still see the vet? Or should I just monitor her? I don't want to lose my little girl at only 1 year old, that would be devastating :( Also, I don't want Stormy to lose his best friend. Thoughts?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
My little girlie, Picasso, wasn't on her normal perch this morning. Panicked, I looked at the bottom of the cage expecting the worse, but she was just sleeping on her stomach while fluffed up. It was adorable, and she's only ever "potatoed" on the top of the cage before, and only once. I am very worried, though, because of this behavior. She ate normally and doesn't seem ill, but should I still see the vet? Or should I just monitor her? I don't want to lose my little girl at only 1 year old, that would be devastating :( Also, I don't want Stormy to lose his best friend. Thoughts?
If your'e worried it could be something more, I would take her to the vet. You can never be too safe, good luck

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
If your'e worried it could be something more, I would take her to the vet. You can never be too safe, good luck
Yeah, that's what I suspected. I'll get her to a vet ASAP.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The other thing I wonder is if Cossie could be becoming β€œeggnant” or gravid.

I also assumed you had another death and am glad you didn’t.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
The other thing I wonder is if Cossie could be becoming β€œeggnant” or gravid.

I also assumed you had another death and am glad you didn’t.
Sorry about the title, guys. I thought she may have eggs too, so I'm going to weigh her. She hasn't really been nesty, though.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If she were so full of egg that she were nesting on the floor, she’d have a good 10-20% weight gain (not sure how much). I think each egg should weigh about 10% of hens normal body weight. Plus water weight and other eggs developing inside the hen bird.

Maybe Cossie had a night fright and flopped and landed on the floor, then never made it back up to the perch? My girl Quaker slept on the floor sometimes.

Last edited:
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Ok, so I woke up this morning, and my little girlie is in the exact same corner, however, notice the bit of down on her shoulder. That’s a sure sign that she slept with her head under her wing. I’m wondering if she just likes sleeping on the floor? Cos when I let her out, she’s happy and active.
FB5D42DB-4F90-4495-A92B-7FB7A7339761.jpeg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I hope she just likes sleeping on the floor and she isn’t getting broody or having other issues.

She’s over in the corner like she’s looking for security. It doesn’t seem like she’s just β€œdown” on the cage floor being depressed or sick…

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I hope she just likes sleeping on the floor and she isn’t getting broody or having other issues.

She’s over in the corner like she’s looking for security. It doesn’t seem like she’s just β€œdown” on the cage floor being depressed or sick…
Maybe she's nervous on a perch?

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
one of my budgies tina occasionally does this. always when shes super broody. i see cossies nares are dark brown so id def weigh her and take her to a vet to be safe. maybe shes just a weirdo!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
one of my budgies tina occasionally does this. always when shes super broody. i see cossies nares are dark brown so id def weigh her and take her to a vet to be safe. maybe shes just a weirdo!
Yup, she's going to the vet. She doesn't seem broody, though, which is why I think it may be a sleeping choice.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Could her feet or legs hurt or have injury? That problem certainly influenced my Lucy Quaker’s sleeping location.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Could her feet or legs hurt or have injury? That problem certainly influenced my Lucy Quaker’s sleeping location.
Maybe, because she only likes to sit on padded perches, or platform perches, and she "potatoes" when she can, which means she's not putting weight on her legs or feet. I also noticed she was sleeping in her Easter Grass foraging toy today, which is kind of a nesting material, so she may be nesty. I'd reckon it's more of a leg/foot issue, though.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Well then it’s probably a good thing if you’re having her checked by a vet; you can see if she’s getting eggy/ broody or if she has foot or leg trouble.

If you are comfortable examining her, you could look for β€œhot spots” on the bottoms of her feet. (Smooth areas that are redder or different in color from the scalier normal plantar foot surface.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts