Could a budgie make a good companion for a cockatiel?

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
I was thinking of taking in a 2-year-old male budgie who needs a new home. I currently own a 5-month-old cockatiel, and I've heard mixed stories about them working out since budgies bully 'tiels (I'm not planning on caging them together). Would it be best just to wait and see if I can find another cockatiel?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
You are quite correct in saying that budgies can be little bullies! My cockatiel Fang is more the shy, retiring type, whereas Valentino the budgie is somewhat more the "in your face" type, although it must be said that now he is a little older he has mellowed quite a bit. Your prospective budgie being a bit older may be a little calmer too, although as my vet is fond of saying "budgies can be like that pesky little brother who gets in your face and doesn't know when to quit!" You also need to think about how the introduction of another bird may impact on the dynamic that you currently have between you and your cockatiel. Individual results always vary on that front! Personally I would try to have the budgie health checked as soon as practicable to ensure he is not bringing any health nasties with him too.

Having said all that, I think as you are not planning on caging them together and they are given adequate supervision particular in the initial stages they will very likely be fine together. Budgies and cockatiels are a pairing that often works out very well indeed. Not every time necessarily of course, so you do need to be prepared for that, but in my personal experience having had that combination for many years, most of the time they are pretty good together. :)

OP
H

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
You are quite correct in saying that budgies can be little bullies! My cockatiel Fang is more the shy, retiring type, whereas Valentino the budgie is somewhat more the "in your face" type, although it must be said that now he is a little older he has mellowed quite a bit. Your prospective budgie being a bit older may be a little calmer too, although as my vet is fond of saying "budgies can be like that pesky little brother who gets in your face and doesn't know when to quit!" You also need to think about how the introduction of another bird may impact on the dynamic that you currently have between you and your cockatiel. Individual results always vary on that front! Personally I would try to have the budgie health checked as soon as practicable to ensure he is not bringing any health nasties with him too.

Having said all that, I think as you are not planning on caging them together and they are given adequate supervision particular in the initial stages they will very likely be fine together. Budgies and cockatiels are a pairing that often works out very well indeed. Not every time necessarily of course, so you do need to be prepared for that, but in my personal experience having had that combination for many years, most of the time they are pretty good together. :)
That's good to hear. I plan on taking the lil' guy to the vet ASAP since I cannot quarantine him correctly (my parents don't want him in any other room for too long). I've been feeling really awful about owning one bird, so I hope they can somewhat keep each other company.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Well then, in that case I look forward to welcoming your new little guy very soon! You are doing a lovely thing in giving a little birdie in need a new home and I think they will get on quite well together :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts