Could You Just Feed Chop and Skip the Pellets? What are the Risks or Concerns?

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
My eclectus has refused to eat any pellets the last three days. She just wants chop. Should I be concerned? Or is a good chop consisting of fresh vegetables, grains, pasta, and legumes a better choice?

Attachments

• Tequila eating.jpg
    Tequila eating.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 51
  • chop.jpg
    chop.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 48

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Yes. Most serious eclectus owners donā€™t feed pellets. The key is diversity, feeding as wide an array of foods as possible to ensure you donā€™t miss out on any micronutrients.

OP
LoveOfallAnimals

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Yes. Most serious eclectus owners donā€™t feed pellets. The key is diversity, feeding as wide an array of foods as possible to ensure you donā€™t miss out on any micronutrients.
So out of all of the different parrot chop recipes and cookbooks for parrots is there one that you would recommend?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So out of all of the different parrot chop recipes and cookbooks for parrots is there one that you would recommend?
I know birdtrick's bad rep but their parrot cook books are actually really nice. I use their seasonal feeding system for my ekkie. Though I do alter it a bit. Less beans, no pasta, and try to get some more vitamin A in where I can. When I do use pasta I try to stick to veggie pasta or lentil pasta.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
If I could I would feed all chop and no pellets, i would, but it doesn't work out for me unfortunately :c I think it's better for ekkies specifically to be off pellets. I use them more as a filler and try to make sure he's getting all his nutrition from his morning chop.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)

Not really. When youā€™ve been making chop long enough you donā€™t think in terms of ā€œrecipesā€. Just grab a bunch of fruits, veggies, and grains that you know are parrot safe and mix them together. Thatā€™s about it.

You might start with:
Kale
Lentils
Chickpeas
Brown rice
Assorted bell peppers (including the seeds)
Corn
Peas
Green beans
Carrots
Rotini pasta
Flax seed
Rolled oats
Red cabbage
Fennel/anise

You have a lot of different colors in there, a lot of different parts of the plant (leaves, stems, roots, fruit, seed), etc. good diversity. And this doesnā€™t include an actual fruit you might top dress with at serving time, like kiwi/papaya/apple.

OP
LoveOfallAnimals

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Not really. When youā€™ve been making chop long enough you donā€™t think in terms of ā€œrecipesā€. Just grab a bunch of fruits, veggies, and grains that you know are parrot safe and mix them together. Thatā€™s about it.

You might start with:
Kale
Lentils
Chickpeas
Brown rice
Assorted bell peppers (including the seeds)
Corn
Peas
Green beans
Carrots
Rotini pasta
Flax seed
Rolled oats
Red cabbage
Fennel/anise

You have a lot of different colors in there, a lot of different parts of the plant (leaves, stems, roots, fruit, seed), etc. good diversity. And this doesnā€™t include an actual fruit you might top dress with at serving time, like kiwi/papaya/apple.
Thank you

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I had an older Barronā€™s paperback book titled ā€œfeeding your pet birdā€ (by Petra something) which really broke down the nutrients and values of different vegetables, fruits, grain. I may still have this book. If I were feeding without pellets I would definitely be using that book or one more up to date.

Most Reactions

Latest posts