COVID in birds

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
there is no evidence that birds can get covid. only animals I know of that can are cats and ferrets

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi
I tested positive for COVID. Can I give it to my Quaker?
Thanks,
MK
No. I’ve been watching reports and a number of different MAMMALS can get covid, but birds can’t.

Then again, I would avoid letting him pick your nose. When I am sick my bird always wants to tidy me up. But that’s just not a good idea.

Oopsadaysey

Mar 11, 2022
East Gippsland Australia
Parrots
21yr old LutinoxPearl Quarrion (sorry cockatiel) Munchkin aka The Princess
There are some viruses that do cross over - my galah died the day I tested positive for chicken pox and the vet's post mortem showed he had it as well ( she was a zoo vet and well versed in checking out birds). She has found that pidgeons and chickens could get it as well.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
There are some viruses that do cross over - my galah died the day I tested positive for chicken pox and the vet's post mortem showed he had it as well ( she was a zoo vet and well versed in checking out birds). She has found that pidgeons and chickens could get it as well.
Yes, there are some viruses that infect both birds and people. Varicella-zoster virus is extremely contagious so I am not so surprised to hear this.

I’m very sorry about your galah but thank you for the (sad) information.

Lafeber.com passes on this info from the AVMA about keeping your birds safe from COVID:

Although the likelihood of transmission is low it never hurts to be cautious, and times like these remind us about the importance of biosecurity. The American Veterinary Medical Association recommends that people infected with COVID-19 have limited contact with their pets and allow others to care for them until we better understand the virus. The AVMA also recommends against kissing, hugging, and sharing food with pets. This prevents respiratory secretions of infected people being spread to animals.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is very important to remember that what we are dealing with, Worldwide, is a SARS COVID base Virus and that we are now at Variant #5!! As stated above, no confirmed crosses between Humans and Avians. as of this date. But, sadly, we are not rid of this Virus and it will more than likely continue to cast-off Variants and that a future Variant 'could' cross-over.

Great advice regarding keeping your Avians away as we are still a long ways from this specific virus finding a side track in Human history. Remember that it has been most effective in volume (exposure level), which is why the vaccines tend not to be as effective. And, spread tends to be months ahead of identification!!

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I had it when it first hit, I worked at a big company near Minneapolis at the time and it just spread through. My birds didn't get anything.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would be more worried about a mammalian pet or human household member catching covid. It hasn’t been seen in birds or reptiles. But has been detected in deer herds, zoo mammals of all sorts, cats and dogs.

Most Reactions