cran grape juice

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Hi, I'm looking to syringe train Aster and Apollo just encase I ever need to administer medicine. (Lincoln came pre-equipped with syringe skills so didnt have to train him)
I saw a great video awhile ago about syringe training using juice in a syringe. I know it's high in sugar and shouldn't be used often, but I can't imagine a little during training would hurt much. However I am wondering of specifically cranberry grape juice is safe? It's what I have on hand. I know grapes are safe but I'm unsure about cranberries.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
It's fine and your parrots are not going to say no. This is one thing I'm an expert in........At least with Aster the GCC I'd recommend not even introducing it but any real juice; and any sugar juices, are like crack to a GCC. And I'm sure the other birds as well.

If it's just to get them used to a syringe ok. But they love that stuff. I have to hide it.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Why did I never think of doing this?! Thatā€™s so clever. Iā€™ve gotten Kirby grudgingly used to syringes because having me gently hold his head and give him meds is better than being in my lap upside-down & in a towel.

Cranberries are fine. Iā€™d be more worried if the juice has artificial preservatives. Citrus based ones are ok in small amounts; the aloe we use in Kirbyā€™s bath spray thatā€™s approved by his vet has those.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Itā€™s awesome to do this. It is not delightful to forcefully give a parrot meds when it becomes needed, and they arenā€™t trained. Same with nasal flushes, beak trims, and nail trims.

Most Reactions

Latest posts