Cranky cockatiel

tassiemay

Nov 22, 2014
My tiel I hand reared from 2 weeks of age he is now 14 yrs old. I've had cockatiels in the past male and females that I have hand reared as well. I find the older they get the more the behaviour changes expesially the males. He has free range to come out when I'm home he walks around the floor follows me like a puppy. BUT......... When TJ is on my shoulder he will suddenly bite my ear attack me when I move scream and scream at me. When I let him know it's not on he becomes more aggressive so I put him back in his cage. His cage is very very large, it's a ferrit cage. then hi runs up and down the perch wings slightly elevated screaming at me so I Cover him up to shut him up when he calms down I uncover him. I might let him back our later. But repeat same if he carries in screaming and attacking again. What other stradigies could I use to try to calm down his behaviour in or is it not possible because he is aging and just cranky. Every male I've had becomes aggressive with age. This is normal for aging parrot's is it?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
First, I wouldn't allow TJ on your shoulder any more. That is a privilege that is earned by my birds, and if they bite they lose that privilege until they stop that behaviour.

I wouldn't cover him up when he screams, I would just go to another room until he stops.

My Cockatiels have all gotten sweeter with age, so I don't believe that is the issue. When the biting started, had anything changed for him? Time out of cage? Your hair colour?
They can really react to something new or different, and I find my birds do that more as they age.

It may be time to do a reboot of your relationship.
This thread has some wonderful tips that may help you:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

OP
tassiemay

tassiemay

Nov 22, 2014
First, I wouldn't allow TJ on your shoulder any more. That is a privilege that is earned by my birds, and if they bite they lose that privilege until they stop that behaviour.

I wouldn't cover him up when he screams, I would just go to another room until he stops.

My Cockatiels have all gotten sweeter with age, so I don't believe that is the issue. When the biting started, had anything changed for him? Time out of cage? Your hair colour?
They can really react to something new or different, and I find my birds do that more as they age.

It may be time to do a reboot of your relationship.
This thread has some wonderful tips that may help you:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust
Hi sorry for delayed response my mobile has been acting yo for a while and believe it or not I just got your message. Nothing has changed. He screams and screams to come out when I uncover him in the morning. He follows me around walking on the floor but after a while he will get on my shoulder and without warning attack. If I have a visitor he screams and screams for attention and I have to cover him to stop it. My sister looked after him in my home while I was visiting my daughter and same problem screaming and attacking, biting on ears face I'm wondering if it's for attention constantly he puts his head down for scratch screams if he doesn't get one when he wants one then gets aggressive you scratch him when he's had enough he bites your hand. I'm sure I don't know. I sometimes have to do craft where he can't see me he screams when I'm not in the room and when I am screams to come out. I've tried all sorts of strategies he happy walking around the floor following me around but nobody can do this all Day. He has behaviour problem's and getting worse with age. Covering him for a short time works for a while treats for a while. I think it is a attention seeking behaviour because my sister encountered the same problem and TJ knows my sister. So, I really don't know I'm sure.... Very hard to keep him off my shoulder too because he watches me wash up do house chores sitting there talking, but then BAM attack.... Do I keep him in his cage more and not let him have freedom I find that idea horrible or just give him couple hours a day time out of cage. Apologies for long story but if I don't state his total behaviour I can't help out relationship. Thank you for your time.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Is he getting 12 hours of sleep a night? What is his diet like? Some of this sounds like it could be hormonal behavior. I know our ‘tiel could get really cranky if he wasn’t sleeping enough or if he was gorging on millet & seed and not eating his pellet.

As Terry said, also look for any major changes to yourself or your environment! Hair color/cut, rearranged furniture, new people coming over, etc. Try to think back on any major changes that may have set him off and let this become habit.

And finally, has he seen a vet? All sorts of health issues can change behavior and its not just limited to lethargy/listlessness; some can result in an increase in erratic behavior.

Most Reactions

Latest posts