Crash

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
If I dissappear in mid conversation I am sorry, having trouble with computer crashing. Phoned them up today (it is still under warranty) and they gave me a lot of runaround, then phoned my brother who works in computers, he took a look at putor and knew exactly what was wrong with it, he wouldn't do anything as it is under warranty but he phoned them up and they are coming out to fix it. He asked them when and told them he would be here when they got here, that way they won't be able to fiddle with a few bits and then tell me its fixed, only to find out that it isn't and as the warranty runs out in a couple of weeks, thats what they were angling for. It seems that the hard drive is not good, in fact its very ill, I work on the computer so its taking me hours to do a little work as I have to keep stopping and then saving and backing up, what a pain that is.

Hopefully it will hold out till they get here, fingers crossed.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
How did you make out with your computer? Did you fully crash or did they get there in time? I have had my computer crash a couple of times and it stinks! Twice it was a virus, once it was a hard drive defect and I lost everything I had on the computer. I didn't realize it wasn't backed up. Duh... :eek: Now I back up quite often, just to be sure.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Think it could be the hard drive, have got engineer calling out next week. Although I have back up files I didn't realise that I hadn't done them in quite a while, so last night I was backing everything up so it was up to date. The guy said I was going to loose everything anyway so mad rush.

I work on my computer so if I had lost everything it would have put me back months, not to mention all the work that I would have had to redo :eek: What a nightmare!! At the moment it is a case of do something then save it to disc then do a bit more etc. It takes forever so I'll be glad when they come out and fix the thing.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
Did they say they were going to have to put in a new hard drive or just wipe it clean and reload it? I have done both. I refused to pay for them to do it, so I ended up doing it all myself. It isn't hard, just time consuming. Good luck.

Michael

Jan 24, 2006
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Australian King Parrots
Lesser Jardines
Senegals
Red Bellied
Moustache Parakeets
Green Cheek Conure Mutations
Peachface Lovebirds
Scarlet Chested Parakeet
Painted Conures
Military Macaw
Been there myself. I learned the hard way to back up things I didn't want to lose.
Like Alison, I had to have a new hard drive and then I had to have it wiped clean once.
I installed the hard drive myself as the tech I had on the phone was really nice and helpful and said that I would be able to do it. My computer was under warranty and they sent me the new drive and I was able to install it myself.
The time I had to have it cleaned was due to a virus. It was this horrible virus that my virus protection didn't catch. Now I'm real careful and never open anything that I'm not 100% sure of who it's from.
I do hope you get your problem straightened out quickly and easily. Computers are great when they work, but miserable when they don't!

Michael

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Michael said:
Been there myself. I learned the hard way to back up things I didn't want to lose.
Like Alison, I had to have a new hard drive and then I had to have it wiped clean once.
I installed the hard drive myself as the tech I had on the phone was really nice and helpful and said that I would be able to do it. My computer was under warranty and they sent me the new drive and I was able to install it myself.
The time I had to have it cleaned was due to a virus. It was this horrible virus that my virus protection didn't catch. Now I'm real careful and never open anything that I'm not 100% sure of who it's from.
I do hope you get your problem straightened out quickly and easily. Computers are great when they work, but miserable when they don't!

Michael

Aint that the truth!!! Seems like I too need a new hard drive, so have been backing up everything. Finally its done:59: I learnt the hard way too, I used to open everything I got, BIG MISTAKE, now if I don't know who its from it gets deleted straight away. My old computer had more virus' on it than anything else!:17:

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Pionus, YNA, WB caiques, quakers, goffin, lovebirds, GC conure, parakeet,
Greylady, do you have an anti-virus protection program installed? Norton has saved our system time and time again! It's really worth the investment, which I don't even think is very much these days!

Time for some more :44:

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh yes, learnt my lesson from last time, then I didn't have anything.

Now I have Norton and have found it brilliant. Wouldn't be without it

Michael

Jan 24, 2006
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Australian King Parrots
Lesser Jardines
Senegals
Red Bellied
Moustache Parakeets
Green Cheek Conure Mutations
Peachface Lovebirds
Scarlet Chested Parakeet
Painted Conures
Military Macaw
I swear by Norton. It is, in my opinion, the best. As MKay said, it has saved me on numerous occasions.

Michael

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Michael said:
I swear by Norton. It is, in my opinion, the best. As MKay said, it has saved me on numerous occasions.

Michael

Totally agree with that! My brother told me to get that one as it is the best, now would not do without it.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
Have to agree there also, I use the Norton and haven't had any problem since. (Knock on wood)

Most Reactions

Latest posts