Crop infections

Daydreamer8

Jan 22, 2021
Hi all,

Wondering if someone can help me. My Parrotlet (around 9) has had multiple re-occurring crop infections. Initially vets said it was nothing and that it was because he was house next to a female (separate cage). Finally, last year an exotic vet took a culture and did a proper exam. He had 50% positive gram stain for e-coli (I think that was the correct wording). Heā€™s been prescribed antibiotics around 3 or 4 different times with the latest being a dose of 21 days along with a anti fungal. It seems the infection is back as he keeps wiggle necking (usually in the morning). Eventually it will get bad enough that it will affect his appetite. He was diagnosed with bilateral cataracts last year that is getting worse. Iā€™ve been careful to consider his quality of life and the treatments I put him through. I donā€™t want to make him go through extensive diagnostics. He is an easily stressed bird and has extensive history of feather plucking. Does anyone know of any natural remedies for bacteria/infections or immune support? Any other recommendations? He cannot have a blood draw as he is under weight...vet doesnā€™t want to risk it. Any help would be appreciated. :blue2:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry you have a sick one..
E-coli can be resistant to antibiotics, a culture with sensitivity is the best way to go. Then the best antibiotics can be chosen. That's just a swab nit a blood draw.

What does the bird eat,?
Warmth is critical for sick birds as support, trying to get their environment 80-85 f
Do you track wright? If not you need to get a digital kitchen scale and start .
You csn ask your vet about probiotic ...
I believe in the benefits of a tiny amount of life culture yogurt, with no artificial sweetners. Twice a week , then once a week is good I thi k..im doing a little daily as mine are on antibiotics, mine eat about a thumbnail size amount.

Moxie

Sep 25, 2020
Texoma
Parrots
macaws
Hi all,

Wondering if someone can help me. My Parrotlet (around 9) has had multiple re-occurring crop infections. Initially vets said it was nothing and that it was because he was house next to a female (separate cage). Finally, last year an exotic vet took a culture and did a proper exam. He had 50% positive gram stain for e-coli (I think that was the correct wording). Heā€™s been prescribed antibiotics around 3 or 4 different times with the latest being a dose of 21 days along with a anti fungal. It seems the infection is back as he keeps wiggle necking (usually in the morning). Eventually it will get bad enough that it will affect his appetite. He was diagnosed with bilateral cataracts last year that is getting worse. Iā€™ve been careful to consider his quality of life and the treatments I put him through. I donā€™t want to make him go through extensive diagnostics. He is an easily stressed bird and has extensive history of feather plucking. Does anyone know of any natural remedies for bacteria/infections or immune support? Any other recommendations? He cannot have a blood draw as he is under weight...vet doesnā€™t want to risk it. Any help would be appreciated. :blue2:

Wow sorry to hear all of this. Please tell me about their diet. Pau D' Arco is a good herb but I don't think without a change in diet it is going to do a whole lot of good. I would recommend adding some scrambled eggs, plain greek yogurt, meal worms or cooked chicken to their diet.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Apple cider vinegar (organic brands only without any additives such as ginger etc) at a dosage rate of 5ml/ litre is very good. Improves gut health and can relieve bacterial infections to a certain extent.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As stated, E-coli is very resistant to different medications and provided dosage.

There has been several Posts that have questions what diet you are providing. So, what are your feeding.

Thankfully, you are seeing an Avian Medical Professional, but you may need to upgrade to a Certified Avian Vet (CAV).

Since E-coli is activity found in the environment, cleanliness becomes very important. Deep cleaning everything your Parrot is coming in contact with is a must. Food and Water dishes being cleaned in very hot water or deep cleaning cycle on a dishwasher is a starting point.

Food storage and handling is also a common source.

OP
D

Daydreamer8

Jan 22, 2021
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for the replies, questions, comments etc. I appreciate it. He has certainly seen a certified avian vet (which there are not many in my area). And unfortunately that was one of many who claimed the behaviors that were being exhibited were due to being housed next to a female. Though at the time an x ray was done and his crop was examined for any obstruction. There is also a well known and very popular bird store that sells bird /bird products a few cities over. The people who own it are very knowledgeable about birds and even sell remedies and such which I purchased. But they also believed it was a mating behavior. My boy is housed in a vision cage and I lay packing paper down every day. Itā€™s changed everyday and sometimes more often if needed. His cage is not as tall any more as heā€™s almost completely blind. Iā€™ve sanitized his cage more then once. I clean his food dishes every day. He drinks from a lixit bottle which is placed in near boiling water to sanitize. Early on he mostly ate seeds because thatā€™s all he would tolerate after rescuing him. Once I became accustomed to caring for him and got other birds I started making chop with fresh fruits veggies daily-weekly for them. He would eat the most produce compared to my others. Then is the last 2 yrs (yes itā€™s been going on this long) I noticed every time he would eat fresh food he would have this response -wiggle necking, vomiting clear liquid with some bubbles, always in the morning before he gets fresh food (of course I wash everything properly just as I would for myself). Never at night or afternoon. So I have pretty much stopped fresh foods as the response is pretty frightening. He had been on roudy bush for about 5 yrs but recently switched to Harrisonā€™s adult super fine pellets for fear that maybe the roudy bush had to much sugar and was causing yeast growth?? So currently his diet is mostly pelleted with volkman seed. Very occasional fresh food, I did make Harrison bird bread for him recently with egg and froze it. Iā€™ve heard of oregano in the water for birds as a natural antibiotic. Could I try this. I never had any luck with the ACV. I suppose I could try it again?

OP
D

Daydreamer8

Jan 22, 2021
Also I try to keep the heater on most of the time. I like the warmth and I know itā€™s imperative for my birds. Heā€™s around 32grams if Iā€™m not mistaken. Which is underweight I believe.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The thing with E-coli, is many strains are now antibiotic resistant, its a very real problem.
So I would go to the vet and ask for a culture with antibiotic sensitivity test. When the lab grows the culture, they test the culture against antibiotics, to see if the antibiotic will kill the organism. Your vet can request they add an sensitivity test for the antibiotic yiu have used in the past, plus one he might want to switch to in addition the normal sensitivity panel.

In addition, yiu could be dealing with a yeat, or aspergillosis problem, because of the past antibiotic, even tho you had antifungal given at tye same time.

This might also be the mega bacteria syndrome.... a virus..

Because of his history, I think he needs thst trip back to tge vet..

I have a sick flock right now....I know how hard and stressful. I hope yours will be ok.
And yiu keep sharing your story with us.

OP
D

Daydreamer8

Jan 22, 2021
Thank you for the reply.

Yes the vet tested which antibiotic would be resistant. He was prescribed baytril and voriconazole (anti fungal). Then took benebac few weeks after the 21 day dose. This was all around Christmas. Itā€™s all pretty stressful ..for him and me.

Moxie

Sep 25, 2020
Texoma
Parrots
macaws
Thank you for the reply.

Yes the vet tested which antibiotic would be resistant. He was prescribed baytril and voriconazole (anti fungal). Then took benebac few weeks after the 21 day dose. This was all around Christmas. Itā€™s all pretty stressful ..for him and me.

My heart breaks for you and your bird. I am not trying to be hard on you but not telling you the truth isnā€™t going to help you any at all.

The grains in the pellets are carbohydrates and they metabolize as sugar in the body, feeding any yeast. On top of that they arenā€™t providing any animal protein and the pellets are seriously lacking in any real nutrition so his immune system is not able to fight off the bacterial/fungal/yeast infection. All of the antibiotics and antifungals are taxing to his body; he is using up his nutritional stores trying to clear those chemicals from his body.

https://brodielanepharmacy.com/wp-c...DE-TO-DRUG-INDUCED-NUTRIENT-DEPLETION_BLP.pdf

He needs a diet with more protein both animal and non-animal, vegetables and low glycemic fruits. Without some real changes I am afraid that he will never get over it, I am sorry to say that but I feel it to be true. I wish you the best of luck with your little buddy. I hope that he can beat it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts