Curious if anyone else is aware

osklvste73

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Joined
May 9, 2026
Messages
573
Reaction score
800
Parrots
CAG
I was planning a trip to Oklahoma. I thought I better check about health certificate. My vet tech said to make sure about quarantine and transportation laws. Some states are very strict require them a certain amount of time before even traveling through. Quarantine can be 30 days. Fines can be steep if you get caught with out meeting the requirements. I was surprised at the increasingly number of states that are require permission, proof of ownership and more. Oklahoma wants all the health just like importation into the country except if you can show verified proof of ownership ship for years. I easily met that. Plus I am lucky. Nameliss is close banded and has never bothered it. My avian vet suggested leaving it if she didn't bother it. It made proving she's not wild caught and traveling easier. Parrots classified as illegal aren't allowed in the some states or have a time limit to be out. In most cases driving through isn't recommended. Getting caught results in even steeper fines. Read-a-holic me kept going on. It sounds like they are trying to get tough on travel with parrots on the endangered lists. I'm reading that bird owners should check state laws before traveling with their pet birds. I wonder how many do? I didn't until I became more aware of avian influenza. Some states had massive losses. As a result stricter laws. Any one who show birds have any problems? Each state is slightly different rules.
 
The only parrot I have that would be on the endangered list is my sun conure. I haven’t looked into laws about traveling across state lines with parrots in the US.

I hope one day that licenses are required to own any parrot. If someone wants one that bad at least they learn before purchasing. Way too many people buy parrots innocently not knowing what they are getting into. I’m not saying people can’t have a parrot but having some sort of protection for both parrots and their owners I think would help the shelter capacity issues we have here in the US.
 
Back
Top Bottom