Deterant

Gillbaby

Dec 20, 2022
Parrots
Jamaican conure
It there a spray or anything that can be used as a deterant? My Gilligan is free-flight but he does find spots that gets him in trouble. Mostly door and window frames that he can get his claws into. And once there, he starts chipping at the paint. Because he is allowed to fly, I feel he needs the tallons for safety reasons if frightened and he takes off in a panic. I would like to spray, wipe, or something to deter him from going to these spots. And painting isn't an option.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The traditional method.
scarecrows
put something there that will scare them, maybe something that moves in the wind as they get close to landing.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great advice provided above. In addition, you do need to reduce the sharpness of their nails as that will quickly deter their landing in specific areas. Also, consider taking your Parrot(s) on a Real Estate Agent's tour of your home! Starting at the common launch points and moving out to preferred /safe landing areas. Also work on teaching return trips. Keep working at this and you will start to see them adjust their paths to those areas.

Our 500 grams of Amazon is also Free flighted in our home and we have found that on the very rare occasion that he is startled, he will use those pre-taught paths for landing. Also work on recall training as that will also help advert their path.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
There is no spray or fluid that can safely be used to deter parrots from landing on unwanted places. Its not like with a dog or cat, parrots supersensitive respiratory system make them subject to distress if a strong odor or smell is present. Anything strong enough to deter them from landing is strong enough to put that system in jeopardy.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It there a spray or anything that can be used as a deterant? My Gilligan is free-flight but he does find spots that gets him in trouble. Mostly door and window frames that he can get his claws into. And once there, he starts chipping at the paint. Because he is allowed to fly, I feel he needs the tallons for safety reasons if frightened and he takes off in a panic. I would like to spray, wipe, or something to deter him from going to these spots. And painting isn't an option.
What about a plastic or rubber snake? My birds hate snakey things. Maybe you could tack a rubber snake up in the window frame.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great idea, but could turn into a fear issue as the natural need to quickly escape from snakes could cause unintended fear behavior issues. There is no question that such a thing could deter, but at what cost.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Great idea, but could turn into a fear issue as the natural need to quickly escape from snakes could cause unintended fear behavior issues. There is no question that such a thing could deter, but at what cost.
Exactly. If you had a snake affixed to the top of the window frame and it only stopped the parrot from landing there, all would be good. If the parrot stared st the plastic snake all day, screeching, that would be a problem. It would be cruel to the bird.

(I am imagining my apartment with rubber snakes and plastic owls on everything I don’t want my birds messing with. )

Most Reactions

Latest posts