Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
While visiting Barbara and Cecil yesterday, I was told the most awful news how a 16 year old African Grey bird died.

Their friends who live in Durban, had just moved into a new house.

The weather in Durban is extremely humid.

They placed the bird outside, on a table, which was apparently quite low.

While doing their chores, they heard the bird screaming, in a screech they have never heard before.

Both ran out, never expecting to see what they saw.

A Cobra was inside the cage, with the bird halfway in his mouth.

The bird was still alive, just barely.

The husband ran inside, coming out with a gun.

He had no choice to shoot both the bird and snake.

There have never been any siting of snakes in the area before.

What a terrible tragedy, for the bird, the snake and the guardians.

The poor Cobra, was just seeking food, the bird unfortunately was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

They had just started unpacking their belongings.

Needless to say they have moved out.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I hate to say this, but they were very fortunate it wasn't one of the humans. Cobra's are one of the snakes that aren't afraid of humans and will agressively attack with little or no warning. They will literaly chase you.

I have noticed more snakes around my house in the last couple of years since I brought birds back into my home again. I found one 4 foot snake laying across the back ramp to the house where I usually put my birds out to sun in the mornings.

A few months ago, I found one trying to get into the window to my bird room. Fortunately the windo was closed or else I think he was so persistant I think he would have busted through the screen. They must sense the birds are in the house.

But you post is the main reason why I NEVER leave my birds unattended while outside. Florida is teaming with snakes so I'm always on the alert while my babies are outside.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I hate to say this, but they were very fortunate it wasn't one of the humans. Cobra's are one of the snakes that aren't afraid of humans and will agressively attack with little or no warning. They will literaly chase you.

I have noticed more snakes around my house in the last couple of years since I brought birds back into my home again. I found one 4 foot snake laying across the back ramp to the house where I usually put my birds out to sun in the mornings.

A few months ago, I found one trying to get into the window to my bird room. Fortunately the windo was closed or else I think he was so persistant I think he would have busted through the screen. They must sense the birds are in the house.

But you post is the main reason why I NEVER leave my birds unattended while outside. Florida is teaming with snakes so I'm always on the alert while my babies are outside.

I would be petrified to live where you are, how do you sleep Mike?
waaaht.gif

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
With one eye open hahahahahahahahaha! But seriously, with the subtropical climate, it's perfect for snakes. I'm fortunate that so far, the only snakes I have come across in my yard have been the garden variety black snakes, which is good for rodent and other pest control and are not poisonous or aggressive. They can average in size from two to six feet in length. If it weren't for my birds, I wouldn't be concerned with them. Rattle snakes are a whole other thing though. I'm glad I haven't seen any of those in my area in a while.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
:11:OMG! I am so AFRAID of snakes!!!!! Note to self: Never ever move to Florida!!!!!

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
With one eye open hahahahahahahahaha! But seriously, with the subtropical climate, it's perfect for snakes. I'm fortunate that so far, the only snakes I have come across in my yard have been the garden variety black snakes, which is good for rodent and other pest control and are not poisonous or aggressive. They can average in size from two to six feet in length. If it weren't for my birds, I wouldn't be concerned with them. Rattle snakes are a whole other thing though. I'm glad I haven't seen any of those in my area in a while.

I pray is stays that way

You are so so so much braver than me

choked.gif

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
This is SO tragic. :( :( :( Poor owners, bird, and snake. I don't hate snakes, since they usually bite when either scared or bothered, maybe hungry (not sure if they bite humans looking for food) but even tiny corn snakes I can't live with. There is just something about snakes that I have a deep deep fear of. I wouldn't say phobia, but pretty much every nightmare I ever have now has something to do with a snake. Not even caged snakes I can watch. :eek: I'm deeply afraid :eek:
Echo: I'm with you! NEVER EVER EVER move to Florida... It sure seems pretty on postcards though lol... ;)

Klaery

Jul 8, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Elroy - Hahns macaw, Ponyo - Sun conure
:11: Firstly let me say that that is horrible and I am very sad to hear that :( I feel so sorry for the owners.

I have to add though that although I can understand people having a fear, snakes are so misunderstood. Over the past few years I have bred several species and in my undergrad worked on many herpetology projects (although in education now days I was originally a zoologist). No snake is going to go out of its way to attack a human unprovoked.

When I visited the USA I was appalled at what has happened to rattlesnake populations over there and the fact that direct human persecution has played a large part in the decline (and evolutionary pressure I might add) is sickening. Some may disagree but do they have similar feelings about people who shoot cockatoos as they eat crops here in Australia? How do they feel about the corolina parakeet that is now extinct (another animal that was considered a pest)?

In Australia we have some of the most venomous snake species in the world but there are very few deaths. This is not only due to the quality of the hospitals but also the education that goes on regarding living with snakes and snake bite first aid. The hardest part is just convincing people to leave them alone! Do that and you have reduced the number of bites by 40%

Sorry for the rant (and I am sure I am talking to the converted anyway) but it is something I feel strongly about. Living with snakes is different but not hard. My fathers finch aviaries have had over 7 snakey visitors this year alone (that we know of) and not a single one has gotten into the aviaries or posed a threat to bird or man. They were designed to keep snakes out in the first place.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
Snakes are fantastic creatures; I had a couple of rescues years ago. I'm not really sure why there was there was 'no choice' but to shoot the bird and the snake; at that point the damage was done, and one might as well let the snake go about its business.

Unless of course, vengeance is on the cards; that's pretty natural, too.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
:11: Firstly let me say that that is horrible and I am very sad to hear that :( I feel so sorry for the owners.

I have to add though that although I can understand people having a fear, snakes are so misunderstood. Over the past few years I have bred several species and in my undergrad worked on many herpetology projects (although in education now days I was originally a zoologist). No snake is going to go out of its way to attack a human unprovoked.

When I visited the USA I was appalled at what has happened to rattlesnake populations over there and the fact that direct human persecution has played a large part in the decline (and evolutionary pressure I might add) is sickening. Some may disagree but do they have similar feelings about people who shoot cockatoos as they eat crops here in Australia? How do they feel about the corolina parakeet that is now extinct (another animal that was considered a pest)?

In Australia we have some of the most venomous snake species in the world but there are very few deaths. This is not only due to the quality of the hospitals but also the education that goes on regarding living with snakes and snake bite first aid. The hardest part is just convincing people to leave them alone! Do that and you have reduced the number of bites by 40%

Sorry for the rant (and I am sure I am talking to the converted anyway) but it is something I feel strongly about. Living with snakes is different but not hard. My fathers finch aviaries have had over 7 snakey visitors this year alone (that we know of) and not a single one has gotten into the aviaries or posed a threat to bird or man. They were designed to keep snakes out in the first place.

What happened over here is that with the housing boom of the last 20 years, we have taken over the rattle snakes domain. Austrailia, that place scares me. You folks have some really bad snakes & spiders over there.The problem is, yes, they have antivenom, but even with that, once bitten by a rattler, you will never be the same and could still lose and arm or leg.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Snakes are fantastic creatures; I had a couple of rescues years ago. I'm not really sure why there was there was 'no choice' but to shoot the bird and the snake; at that point the damage was done, and one might as well let the snake go about its business.

I bet you would feel differently if that was your pet in the snakes mouth. All God's creatures are special and wonderful in their own way. But this doesn't mean that I would share my yeard with a rattle snake, hoping that I won't ever get bitten.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
I bet you would feel differently if that was your pet in the snakes mouth. All God's creatures are special and wonderful in their own way. But this doesn't mean that I would share my yeard with a rattle snake, hoping that I won't ever get bitten.

Oh I have no doubt I'd be very distraught and angry, but I wouldn't kill the snake. I fully understand those who would; I just don't think we should ever kid ourselves that there is no choice in such circumstances.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

The reason both were shot, was when they approached the cage, the bird was still in the snakes mouth, still breathing.
2i8d4ao.gif

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

I agree with you 110% Mike. I am petrified of snakes BUT I know if Mishka were in those circumstances, or one of my guys I would probably strangle the snake with my bare hands.

276.gif

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
I doubt it's much consolation, but the poor bird probably wouldn't have been breathing much longer. The food chain is a cruel thing, especially for those on the receiving end.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Anyone whether pet or guardian we will do everything possible to protect the ones we love.

The picture below just proves exactly what I have state above.

396148_10151034980693087_899548986_n.jpg

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
I've lost count of how many times I've almost stood on a snake. Heck, I even have picked three up by accident.

(One was clearing out a gutter, screamed and dropped it, two was I saw a snake skin - picked it up and it was still attacked, screamed and ran, three I thought it was a rope, held breath and ran inside) >_>

Snakes are a very "common" part of Australian life. We just deal with it and aim to keep the rat/mice population low.

As strange as it sounds, I'd rather more snakes than spiders. As a child, it's drilled into your head from day one to beat your shoes against a wall/floor to ensure there isn't a spider in there. Again - I've lost count of spiders in shoes. >< *shudders at the memories*

Yep - I'm stopping there for a sec while I try and push those images/memories out.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
I've lost count of how many times I've almost stood on a snake. Heck, I even have picked three up by accident.

(One was clearing out a gutter, screamed and dropped it, two was I saw a snake skin - picked it up and it was still attacked, screamed and ran, three I thought it was a rope, held breath and ran inside) >_>

Snakes are a very "common" part of Australian life. We just deal with it and aim to keep the rat/mice population low.

As strange as it sounds, I'd rather more snakes than spiders. As a child, it's drilled into your head from day one to beat your shoes against a wall/floor to ensure there isn't a spider in there. Again - I've lost count of spiders in shoes. >< *shudders at the memories*

Yep - I'm stopping there for a sec while I try and push those images/memories out.

I saw a documentary a while back on TV about those spiders in Austrailia and beating the shoes each time before putting them on. I think I would have to wear sandals after seeing that and living in Austrailia. Heck, I would beat my shoes for weeks after watching that show. I hate spides, but have no issue with snakes as long as they aren't laying across my foot.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
*deep breath* OK - I'm good.

Anyway - snakes. Yes, my reaction is "girlish" but when you're in a country with ... 9? of the top 10 most deadliest snakes in the world? Screaming and running in the opposite direction is a very, very safe response*.

We actually have a snake catcher number fixed to our fridge because at one stage, we were calling the guy out once a week. Kept finding "baby" (*rolls eyes at the concept of "baby" at over 1m*) taipans in our chicken pen. (According to the snake catcher they were "gorgeous specimens"... he gets very excited when we call him out *sigh* friendly guy though, lol)

If anyone is familiar with my 'getting ready' post - you'll notice my outdoor cage/sun cage has a full barrier around the bottom with a jutting lip: it's there for two reasons, one is rodents, and two is snakes. (the lip is to deter snakes otherwise they can just slide straight up) The guy who is building it said I can even put an electric fence around the bottom if I want (he has it for his 10m macaw cage).

Unfortunately, snakes are apart of nature - I think really, the best method is prevention - keep the rodent population in check, and keep an eye on the birds. Treat them like children, don't leave them unsupervised, because they are really like our kids :) feathery, stubborn kids :D And if all else fails, an electric fence around the perimeter of your bird cage makes a very nice deterrent.

I honestly have no idea how I would react - while I hate the idea of killing anything (I feel guilty for turning on the shower head when there are ants in the bathtub... ) I think protectiveness and anger may overwrite that notion and I'd do something stupid. Like... try and grab the snake off my bird. =\ The only thing with snakes is that if you attack them while eating, it just causes them to clamp down even more as they "rush" to swallow the food >< I've read online the only way to get a snake to stop biting is you have to first unwind the body, starting from the tail, then lift the head up (with a reptile hook ideally) and forward, because their teeth curve backwards - it's near impossible to pull out. With any luck though the amount of noise the bird makes will give you enough time to get out there.

I've been lucky with my budgies - they've had two near calls (granted, I don't think the snake could've gone into their cage, the wire is 1cm square types, so it'd have to be pretty small to get in). But it DID give them a near-right heart-attack, they were screaming and making heaps of noise (any owner can tell a 'play call/scream' from a 'terrified scream'. Both times we just called the snake catcher and removed it away from the birds. *sigh of relief* It'll be a worry when I get the big guys, cuz the spacing on their cage is much, much bigger - but hopefully the barrier at the bottom works. *fingers crossed*

*Random story: unless you're my partner - he ran into a snake while walking around in the bush and went "$***! SNAKE!", and snake responded as "$***! HUMAN!" and they BOTH ran away - in the same direction!! *laughs* Both looked at each other when they were running along side each other, responded in same manner again, then veered in opposite directions. My partner was not amused, but makes for a funny story regardless. :D

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I saw a documentary a while back on TV about those spiders in Austrailia and beating the shoes each time before putting them on. I think I would have to wear sandals after seeing that and living in Austrailia. Heck, I would beat my shoes for weeks after watching that show. I hate spides, but have no issue with snakes as long as they aren't laying across my foot.

Urgh >< I won't kill spiders (most of the time), I just catch and put them outside, but I still don't like them. My sister had a freaking huntsman in her school bag and she was emptying it out onto her lap and the damn thing LANDED on her knee!! (We don't even know how it GOT in there!) I had to use a ruler to flick it across the room so we could kill the stupid thing [exception to rule - if it comes on me, or runs towards me, it dies >_>]. (She did very, very well to not react)

When it happened she was like "MUUUUUUUUUUMMMM!!!!"
"In a minute." *finishes playing her game*
Me: "I'LL KILL IT!"
Mum: *comes running with a jar* <-- She knows what I'm like when spiders invade my personal bubble, lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts