Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Donā€™t you hate it when your favorite thing youā€™ve been using for decades gets discontinued? It happened :(. Avinol concentrate that I used for cleaning. I loved it. I used it for lots of things. Not only was it birdsafe as the name implies it was made for bird environments, but it was one of the only products on the market that wasnā€™t harsh like bleach that would even kill the dreaded ā€œPā€ viruses even pbfd, so I could feel safe washing things like carriers that have been in sick bird environments like at the vet with it. Also it was gentle and non-drying to skin.

So Iā€™m searching again for a spray cleaner. Maybe two different types. I read about F-10, and Iā€™m not sure I need that for regular cleaning in my own home, since we donā€˜t come in contact with other birds. Maybe I can keep a bottle of F-10 on hand for those times I need a heavy hitter type of spray, but what kind of spray cage cleaner do you use? Something that can sit on poop for a minute and help get it off the grate easily. Ugh Iā€˜ll readily admit I hate cage cleaning, and a big part of it is because of the grates! Thank you!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hey stranger!

1) cover the grates with paper! No grate cleaning.

2) I use vinegar. Iā€™ll soak lemons in Vinegar then mix that 50/50 with water. Works like a charm!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hey stranger!

1) cover the grates with paper! No grate cleaning.

2) I use vinegar. Iā€™ll soak lemons in Vinegar then mix that 50/50 with water. Works like a charm!
Hey Chris!
I think evey one of my birds would shred the paper, then it would quickly become shredded poopy paper leading to more mess šŸ˜–.
Ughh vinegar.. funny thing is I do like vinegar in foods, for cleaning not so much. I forgot that people would be suggesting vinegar:LOL:.
But thanks for the suggestions!! I just donā€™t know that it would work for my individual birds and myself!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Donā€™t you hate it when your favorite thing youā€™ve been using for decades gets discontinued? It happened :(. Avinol concentrate that I used for cleaning. I loved it. I used it for lots of things. Not only was it birdsafe as the name implies it was made for bird environments, but it was one of the only products on the market that wasnā€™t harsh like bleach that would even kill the dreaded ā€œPā€ viruses even pbfd, so I could feel safe washing things like carriers that have been in sick bird environments like at the vet with it. Also it was gentle and non-drying to skin.

So Iā€™m searching again for a spray cleaner. Maybe two different types. I read about F-10, and Iā€™m not sure I need that for regular cleaning in my own home, since we donā€˜t come in contact with other birds. Maybe I can keep a bottle of F-10 on hand for those times I need a heavy hitter type of spray, but what kind of spray cage cleaner do you use? Something that can sit on poop for a minute and help get it off the grate easily. Ugh Iā€˜ll readily admit I hate cage cleaning, and a big part of it is because of the grates! Thank you!
I don't use the grates anymore for that reason. I just line the cage tray with paper and change it every couple days and for budgies that seems to be enough.

PetiteParrotLover

May 1, 2023
Parrots
Awaiting a baby to be weaned!
I don't use the grates anymore for that reason. I just line the cage tray with paper and change it every couple days and for budgies that seems to be enough.
Hi! Iā€™m considering going grateless, too - howā€™s it been working out? Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts