When talking about scents/fumes, what does "around" your budgie mean?

Jasmes

Mar 3, 2024
I severely want to get a Budgie, but need to be practical about how things in my house get done and whether it'd be safe for a budgie. I'm just going to list a handful of stuff that I'm thinking could disqualify me for ownership. I'm not looking for alternatives or solutions, please don't feel obligated to reply in detail.

• Sometimes when I do laundry I use bleach in the machine. It is in a closet and wouldn't be on the same floor as my bird's main spot.
  • I use scented laundry detergent and scented fabric softener sheets in the dryer. My clothes are consequently fragrant.
  • I wear deodorant that has a strong scent.
  • Sometimes I detail my car with various gnarly types of cleaners and waxes. That happens outside at the end of my driveway. This would probably require temporarily relocation to be sure to avoid any potential fumes getting near the area I'd have the cage set up.
  • I clean my floors and countertops with unscented food-prep/contact grade quat solution. Again, would require relocating my budgie when I do downstairs.
Is this just too chemically hostile for a bird to be happy?

Thanks for your advice,
- Jas

Grateful One

Jan 5, 2024
Parrots
Have ? young Parakeet since May,2022, only have her, no other as of 1/3/2024 dropped an egg on bottom of her
cage and now another egg 1/05/2024 was cracked and threw it out. What else is there to do
I wash she hates the noise I'm on one floor and I just move her cage and shes fine...I use chemicals and sprays as well as bleach and cleaning stuff....She's in her cage and fine I have fans on and an Ionizer to keep air quality going but all is fine....Its not near her....Got to go on with your Life she sits on my son and he wears cologne and when she smells something she flys back into her cage......Its okay, they have to get use to you and they learn whats going on afterawhile and no when not to be bothered....I'm still learning and all is good......

Grateful One

Jan 5, 2024
Parrots
Have ? young Parakeet since May,2022, only have her, no other as of 1/3/2024 dropped an egg on bottom of her
cage and now another egg 1/05/2024 was cracked and threw it out. What else is there to do
I wash she hates the noise I'm on one floor and I just move her cage and shes fine...I use chemicals and sprays as well as bleach and cleaning stuff....She's in her cage and fine I have fans on and an Ionizer to keep air quality going but all is fine....Its not near her....Got to go on with your Life she sits on my son and he wears cologne and when she smells something she flys back into her cage......Its okay, they have to get use to you and they learn whats going on afterawhile and no when not to be bothered....I'm still learning and all is good......I don't feel at all your not qualified for they can be alone I personally wouldn't leave them out of the cage when not home but they know how to survive...........

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good rule of thumb - if you can smell it, its not good for your parrot. THey are hypersensitive to anything in the air. Fragrances, perfume, odorizers, scented candles, all not good for your parrot.

Cleaning - best to use mild (original Dawn is best) detergent and water to clean cages etc. Commercial cleaning agents are way to strong for use around parrots.

Israel P

Nov 2, 2023
Parrots
I have 4 budgies
I typically use diluted vinegar to clean surfaces where my budgies like to hang out. And yep, anything scented near the birds is a big no-no.

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Remember Canary in the coal mine days. They used birds for this horrid excuse for a reason. They are so sensitive that they will die well before it effects us. It may not bother you at all but thier tiny peanut sized lungs it will.

Most Reactions

Latest posts