Disinfecting cage, playstands etc - what to use?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Hey all! Kirby has a nasty sinus infection and his culture grew 3 different bacteria (I’m honestly impressed), and as part of his treatment the vet asked us to fully disinfect his environment to ensure he doesn’t manage to reinfect himself. I swear I keep his cage pretty clean, and when it’s summer here (PNW, so winter it’s too rainy to roll his cage outside) I take his cage out and spray it down in addition to taking the perches out to soak in hot water/spraying things down with vinegar.

I did do a search for this already on the forums, and discovered (and ordered) F10SC Veterinary Disinfectant. It very clearly states on the label however that is is for non-porous surfaces! This is a problem because, obviously, his perches & his java tree are made of wood. I bought the disinfectant anyway as I can still use it on the metal parts of his playstand and his cage, but his java tree is MASSIVE and he spends a ton of time chewing on it, rubbing his beak on it, etc.

What’s the best way to disinfect the perches? I plan on asking my vet this question also (and letting them know I ordered the F10SC as I imagine they use it also), but for now the best I can come up with is using a 6% white vinegar solution (and I’ve read that is hit or miss). Is it safe to use, for example, non-chlorine bleach on stuff he’s gonna chew on?

In a similar vein, should I throw out his toys and replace with new ones? I just redid his toy set up, so they’re mostly new, but obviously were Before Antibiotics so if he’s spreading germs they’re all infested now, haha.

If anyone has any tips on how they did this, it would be appreciated! I’d also like to start disinfecting his stuff more often and thoroughly moving forward to prevent this issue from cropping up again. I am hoping the nice weather we’ve been having holds so that I can roll his cage & playstands one at a time outside and clean them on a tarp, so that he isnt’ subjected to the chemicals or smell.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Have you heard of Chlorhexidine? I use that for my birds trays and grates, not their perches or anything. Basically you just put 2 tbsp. Chlorhexidine to 1 gallon of water, it doesn't have a smell once diluted, I use it for my snakes too, which have sensitive respiratory systems.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Have you heard of Chlorhexidine? I use that for my birds trays and grates, not their perches or anything. Basically you just put 2 tbsp. Chlorhexidine to 1 gallon of water, it doesn't have a smell once diluted, I use it for my snakes too, which have sensitive respiratory systems.
I have not, but I know supposedly F10SC is bird safe. My issue is what to use on porous material like wooden perches or playstands.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Interesting that F10 mentions it is not for porous surfaces, which one exactly did you get?

I am planning on getting F10 (one you can dilute) and honestly leave the toys and the perches over few hours to soak and then have it completely dry throughout a day or two (toys could be shoved into an electric over on low temp and fans on)

Now this is something I would do, did you ask the vet for any ideas? While changing perches and toys completely seem like a viable option, it is very expensive/labouring for sure!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
All good plans that will target eliminating to limiting the source(s).

We have long used Dawn Dish Washing Soap (original) with Hot Fresh Water and a cold fresh water rise. We have long used the Dish Washer to wash toys and perches using the heat dry cycle. The most important part of our process it placing all the items in direct Sunlight and turning regularly over several hours.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Interesting that F10 mentions it is not for porous surfaces, which one exactly did you get?

I am planning on getting F10 (one you can dilute) and honestly leave the toys and the perches over few hours to soak and then have it completely dry throughout a day or two (toys could be shoved into an electric over on low temp and fans on)

Now this is something I would do, did you ask the vet for any ideas? While changing perches and toys completely seem like a viable option, it is very expensive/labouring for sure!
I got this one:

I understood the “yellow” leave on formula was the correct one to get? Huh, in the item description it says it’s for toys. I was planning on emailing or calling the vet today to ask what concentration to use, and what I could use it on! :)
And yes, I normally just use a bird safe, unscented soap and hot water with a sponge to clean things, but given the pickle Kirby’s found himself in I decided to bring out the “big gun” disinfectant!

Editied to add: I decided to email the vet, as it’s not an emergency question (the F10SC doesn’t get here until Wednesday) and that way I could send her the specific product page. I’ll let you all know what she says!

Last edited:
OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Update, I got a message back from the vet. She said:

“Yes, the F10SC Veterinary Disinfectant is a great one!! It is safe for food equipment. I would disinfect everything you can with that per label instructions. Make sure to rinse afterwards. Don't be worried about rope things-Just rinse and allow to thoroughly dry before putting back in. I would get rid of things like cardboard or things you can't disinfect.”

I’m clarifying again (because I am paranoid) that that includes his playstand tree and wooden perches but I’m thinking it does.

It’s really too bad his favorite kind of toy is the cardboard/grass-like shredders, I am going to have to replace almost everything!

D

Deleted member 42416

Ok. I am not an avian vet. I also hate to be a party pooper, but here goes:

(I happen to have some infection and microbiology background).

Unless the cultures show a particular and uncommonly virulent organism, phrenetic antiseptic attempts will be in vain. A polymicrobial bacterial infection, especially as in this case, is often an opportunistic infection from normal body or environmental flora. So as long as you have a generally clean area for your birby, this would not be the cause. Parrots do need a higher level of ambient humidity and the relative dryness inside during winter can cause a breakdown in mucosal membranes of the sinuses, leading to infection. You may have already done so, but using a humidifier in the birby room can help tremendously.

As for sterilization techniques if needed: sprays will not penetrate deep into porous substrates. Soaking in a dilute bleach solution and placing in the dish washer with heat cycle will work beautifully. For cardboard/paper and large perches or playstands: if superficial spraying is deemed inadequate or untenable, you can place in a small enclosed space (like a small bathroom) with an ozone machine. Just be sure that your bird is not exposed to the ozone.

I hope this helps and wishing your birby a speedy recovery!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Ok. I am not an avian vet. I also hate to be a party pooper, but here goes:

(I happen to have some infection and microbiology background).

Unless the cultures show a particular and uncommonly virulent organism, phrenetic antiseptic attempts will be in vain. A polymicrobial bacterial infection, especially as in this case, is often an opportunistic infection from normal body or environmental flora. So as long as you have a generally clean area for your birby, this would not be the cause. Parrots do need a higher level of ambient humidity and the relative dryness inside during winter can cause a breakdown in mucosal membranes of the sinuses, leading to infection. You may have already done so, but using a humidifier in the birby room can help tremendously.

As for sterilization techniques if needed: sprays will not penetrate deep into porous substrates. Soaking in a dilute bleach solution and placing in the dish washer with heat cycle will work beautifully. For cardboard/paper and large perches or playstands: if superficial spraying is deemed inadequate or untenable, you can place in a small enclosed space (like a small bathroom) with an ozone machine. Just be sure that your bird is not exposed to the ozone.

I hope this helps and wishing your birby a speedy recovery!
Kirby has some known health issues that make him super prone to sinus infections; his conical papillae are absent, I believe I was told it’s likely due to being on a long-term diet low in vitamin A (we have only had him for 3 years). I am not 100% what those are or what that means, but I am pretty sure they’d indicated it was why he has a bad time with sinuses every year.

We did get a humidifier! During the day the humidity is around 45%, but at night it dips as low as 35%, so hopefully now that that is set up that will no longer be an issue.

All of his cage-perches (except one) WILL fit in the dishwasher. Is it safe to run a rope perch through the dishwasher as well, or should I replace it? Humorously I’d just replaced his last one before this diagnosis, so it’s relatively new.

I also have the first-worldyest first world bird problem - our bathrooms in this house are tiny, and his playstand is massive, such that I’m not sure if I could get it into a bathroom with an ozone machine. I also uh, don’t really know what an ozone machine is, sorry! Is it like an air filter but with the ozone toggle option or something more specific?

I *think* a surface scrub should be ok… If what you’re saying is that these are just opportunistic bacteria extant in the environment, then scrubbing would surely lower those levels somewhat, such that he has an opportunity to recover. Our vet also plans on rechecking him after his antibiotics course is finished to be certain it’s dealt with, as well as doing a nasal flush and culture every 6mos from here on out so he doesn’t get to this point.

I really, really don’t want to have to buy another playstand, LOL. I mean, if its making him sick obviously we would, but it doesn’t sound like you’re saying that.

D

Deleted member 42416

A soaking spray of dilute bleach and then rinse (or just an alcohol spray) on the stand would do great, but yes, this is normal flora having a joy-ride in his sinuses. Getting that humidity up will make a huge difference and it’s important to change the water in the humidifier daily and sanitize frequently to prevent mildew growth. (I’m sure you already know this, but important for those who might come later to read for advice!).

Don’t worry about the ozone machine… sounds like you got all your bases covered! Best wishes!

Most Reactions