DIY Cage Cleaner?

PipnMe

Jul 21, 2017
PA
Parrots
Pip the Pineapple GCC
Hatch Date: May 20, 2017
Hi all! Does anyone make their own cage cleaner or "poop off" cleaners? If so would you mind sharing your recipes with me? I've read that some people use water, lemon juice, and baking soda, but I'm concerned that the combination of baking soda and lemon juice may damage my cage in the long term.

Thanks all!!
-Pip n' Me

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
So I think Poop-off works great and I find it hard to believe that a DIY solution will work better...I could be wrong. I found that buying in the gallon is cheaper. If you wait for free shipping deals you can get it for as little as $21/gal. Right now you can get a gallon of it shipped from Foresters and Smith for $25.99 or Amazon for 28.99.

I bought my gallon last year at a free shipping sale for about $21 which is definitely worth it to me.

Last edited:

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
I'm still doing white vinegar with water. I've considered buying F10, but Cairo doesn't get exposed to other birds that much, so I haven't taken the leap. Will have to change our routine though because our new place has a lot more stone, so the vinegar will just etch into it :/

I'm definitely looking for other affordable yet somewhat scientifically-based alternatives too!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)

Most Reactions