DIY Play Stand/Perches

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Miles, Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure
Hey everyone! What's up?

So I've been noticing Miles' boredom with the toys he has had for awhile. Problem is, I don't have the finances to lavish my little guy like some of you do. He's done really amazing though, and has shown no signs of stress or severe boredom (which I've read can be a real problem). He doesn't get a whole lot of time out, either, which I really hate for him and me. But I do my best to make the little time he is out as special and enriching as I can.
As part of a solution for this, I am planning to make a DIY parrot play stand and a few perches from a limited budget of $100. I decided to use PVC for framing, and various kinds of natural rope and twine along with blocks of wood (safe, untreated) and some store-bought toys to create the stand. I don't want anything super huge; something that's easy to move and clean; and that will provide my precious feather baby with some great entertainment and enrichment.

I would really love to see some photos of anything you've made from PVC for your parrot(s). Ideas for fun arrangements and neat construction (that fit nicely into a very tight budget) are also very much appreciated.

Thanks guys! Happy Chirps!
54E9BC9D-A736-4B77-BBE6-DAAFAEA502F5.jpeg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have a basket that I’ve decorated a bit and lined with newspaper. It is willows favorite perch when away from the cage.

It’s not pvc, but would be a good size for your gcc, and cheap.

Just find a new unpainted unvarnished basket or used at a thrift store and put newspaper inside. I bet a gcc would enjoy throwing a ball around inside the basket, too. Here’s Willow on his basket (looks like I don’t have photos of just the basket).

Attachments

• 44ADC8B3-EAE3-4782-98B1-E1AD10E7850D.jpeg
    44ADC8B3-EAE3-4782-98B1-E1AD10E7850D.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 2F2EB9FA-928E-4F46-A6DB-49842A80BC01.jpeg
    2F2EB9FA-928E-4F46-A6DB-49842A80BC01.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 107

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Aaaand, here’s a photo showing Willow and his basket perch. It’s about 10”x12” x 10” high? He likes it better than being on my shoulder (probably because I often put the basket on my lap).

Attachments

• 3EF3E516-7F99-4B20-B45D-78B5EF7010E3.jpeg
    3EF3E516-7F99-4B20-B45D-78B5EF7010E3.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 95

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You can make some amazing stuff with PVC piping. FOr ideas, just go to ebay and amazon and check out the designs of commercially available ones. With a budget of $100 you could make a real jungle maze, all you need are piping, a saw and some PVC cement, and sisal rope.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have some coconut shell halves that I was saving to use as small plant pots but I think I’m going to drill some holes in the sides and use these as toy baskets or dishes in my bird cages and Willow’s basket.

May 17, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hey everyone! What's up?

So I've been noticing Miles' boredom with the toys he has had for awhile. Problem is, I don't have the finances to lavish my little guy like some of you do. He's done really amazing though, and has shown no signs of stress or severe boredom (which I've read can be a real problem). He doesn't get a whole lot of time out, either, which I really hate for him and me. But I do my best to make the little time he is out as special and enriching as I can.
As part of a solution for this, I am planning to make a DIY parrot play stand and a few perches from a limited budget of $100. I decided to use PVC for framing, and various kinds of natural rope and twine along with blocks of wood (safe, untreated) and some store-bought toys to create the stand. I don't want anything super huge; something that's easy to move and clean; and that will provide my precious feather baby with some great entertainment and enrichment.

I would really love to see some photos of anything you've made from PVC for your parrot(s). Ideas for fun arrangements and neat construction (that fit nicely into a very tight budget) are also very much appreciated.

Thanks guys! Happy Chirps! View attachment 38981
I really wanted to make new DIY things, especially perches so thank you for sharing this! 😉

Most Reactions

Latest posts