DNA results are in!!!

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
Just got an email from health gene regarding Tiki's DNA sexing results....

OP
TacoNTiki

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
Tiki is a boy!

It is so nice to know. The certificate will come later in the mail.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
A little boy :). It IS nice to know isn't it? Did you have a feeling one way or another?

OP
TacoNTiki

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
A little boy :). It IS nice to know isn't it? Did you have a feeling one way or another?

Yes it is nice to know. I didn't think it could be possible to feel "more bonded" to him, but for some reason knowing the gender makes me feel more bonded (and I would feel this regardless of which gender - it's just the "knowing".

I did have a feeling he was a boy because of what his breeder told me about boys having a flatter head making him have the appearance if a larger beak... tiki's beak always looked large to me. Our tiel is a girl and I worry about egg binding and her health. I am glad I don't have to worry about this x2. Other than that worry, male or female did not matter to me.

Can't wait to get the certificate.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Congrats on Tiki!

I know I would have loved Skittles either way, but to be honest I was hoping he was a boy. I think that since we see our fids as being to us the same as human kids (especially childless adults such as I am) so knowing the gender to me is the same as wanting to know the gender of a human child.

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
Whooohooo!! :D

That's awesome, I'm so glad he turned out to be a boy as that is what you wanted. Congrats! Great you were able to get the results this fast.

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
Yes, it's a boy. Isn't it the best to know! I know it makes no difference in how much you love him, but it did make me feel "closer" to them once I found out. I am sure it isn't true, but I do apply different "traits" to the boys and girls now that I know.

OP
TacoNTiki

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Here's our baby's DNA certificate - I feel like a proud momma :)
image.jpg

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Congrats! It is a great feeling to know for sure!

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I am also very happy knowing that Kyo is a girl - so that if I ever get another one (I would most definitely rescue my next one) I can purposely look for the same gender. I would do that to make taking them to my parent's house or to our little cabin that we rent less likely to result in mating from staying in a cage together for a few nights.

How exciting! Congrats on your little boy :3

OP
TacoNTiki

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Sarah - are you guys not going to adopt the little pineapple you saw before your vacation?

Most Reactions

Latest posts