Do quakers need nesting material?

dera

Sep 13, 2022
Italy
Parrots
Wizard (quaker)
Hello! I'm about to welcome my very first parrot, who will be a baby quaker :love: I went to see cockatiels (my first choice) in person, but I fell in love with this little green ball of feathers 🥰
I've read a lot of things about parrots in general and specifically about quakers, but I still have a doubt: since they build a nest in nature, should I provide nesting materials for him to be happy?
Thank you all!

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I don't have any experience with QPs but I don't see any sense in providing them - he will be a single parrot, so he doesn't need any nesting material - it is needed only during breeding, outside breeding it may just increase hormonal stuff (he would want to have babies even more despite not having a female)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Though Quakers are the only species that build nests in the wild (I think), they don't need a nest or nest box in captivity.
My Quaker is close to 5 yrs. old and he has never built a thing, though I have heard (some members here) of some Quakers building a bit with twigs.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
He may enjoy carrying around and arranging foot toys in his cage, or weaving thin sticks or shoelaces.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
A lot of Quakers have some nest building instinct and they like to build and weave. Some actually build large elaborate nests. When a QP builds, it isn't necessarily related to hormones or breeding; more often it's just something they like to do. My QP Ralph has some thin wooden dowels he likes to arrange and rearrange. He isn't really interested in building a nest, but his stick projects keep him busy and happy. Some Quakers will weave things like drinking straws in and out through their cage bars. Unless building or weaving becomes a hormone fueled obsession it can be a good way for a QP to keep occupied independently.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Your guy may really enjoy carrying around and arranging foot toys. That can keep them from being bored and screaming.

Most Reactions

Latest posts