Do you use seed guards?

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Honestly, they increase the footprint of the cage, they don't catch much debris (I have to sweep anyway) but they do catch a lot of poop, and they are harder to clean than the mats on the floor are.

I haven't used these in over a decade. I have a pile of them in my garage. Frankly, I don't even know why I save them.
You are saving them for a special project...that you haven't thought of yet. :D

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I must be a horrible house keeper (well I already know that I am) I only vacuum once a week. But come to think of it...my birdies keep most of their food inside of their cages. :D

Naw. I know lots of people who only vacuum once a week. That doesn't make you a horrible housekeeper at all:) Kiwi isn't a particularly messy eater either, but he does like to come out of his cage to poop during the day:rolleyes: I vacuum his area in the morning before I let him out so I can get all the (then) dried poops and any food vacuumed up so his area is clean for all of 30 seconds a day:D I vacuum the whole house 2-3 times a week, but that's because if I don't, the "dust" starts to get to me. And I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong, misfortune or I've been cursed by the dust gods, but I get a full canister every time I vacuum:eek: Seeing as we have no other mess-causing pets besides Kiwi, don't wear our shoes indoors and I clean obsessively, I just cannot fathom where all that "dust" comes from:30: I do highly suspect the carpet has something to do with it (I HATE carpet with a passion), as out very first apartment I only had to vacuum once a week and it had hard floors throughout.

Last edited:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
None of my cages came with seed guards, and with chili's ability to toss things I doubt a seed guard would do much good lol

However, I have a fabric seed guard on the budgie flight cage to help keep their mess contained- I made it out of sheer fabric so it allows light in, but it covers the bottom half of the cage.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I must be a horrible house keeper (well I already know that I am) I only vacuum once a week. But come to think of it...my birdies keep most of their food inside of their cages. :D

Naw. I know lots of people who only vacuum once a week. That doesn't make you a horrible housekeeper at all:) Kiwi isn't a particularly messy eater either, but he does like to come out of his cage to poop during the day:rolleyes: I vacuum his area in the morning before I let him out so I can get all the (then) dried poops and any food vacuumed up so his area is clean for all of 30 seconds a day:D I vacuum the whole house 2-3 times a week, but that's because if I don't, the "dust" starts to get to me. And I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong, misfortune or I've been cursed by the dust gods, but I get a full canister every time I vacuum:eek: Seeing as we have no other mess-causing pets besides Kiwi, don't wear our shoes indoors and I clean obsessively, I just cannot fathom where all that "dust" comes from:30:
Oh heavens! I have a really big house and I don't get a canister full every time I vac. Dust must be coming from some where else. :D

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

Naw. I know lots of people who only vacuum once a week. That doesn't make you a horrible housekeeper at all:) Kiwi isn't a particularly messy eater either, but he does like to come out of his cage to poop during the day:rolleyes: I vacuum his area in the morning before I let him out so I can get all the (then) dried poops and any food vacuumed up so his area is clean for all of 30 seconds a day:D I vacuum the whole house 2-3 times a week, but that's because if I don't, the "dust" starts to get to me. And I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong, misfortune or I've been cursed by the dust gods, but I get a full canister every time I vacuum:eek: Seeing as we have no other mess-causing pets besides Kiwi, don't wear our shoes indoors and I clean obsessively, I just cannot fathom where all that "dust" comes from:30:
Oh heavens! I have a really big house and I don't get a canister full every time I vac. Dust must be coming from some where else. :D

In Arizona, dust just inherently coated every surface within 2 seconds of cleaning it:rolleyes: Carpeting only made it worse. Here in OR, we've been renting a basement apartment with thick carpet and I suspect the dust just comes down the vents and settles in said carpet:31: Did I mention how much I hate carpet lol?

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon

In Arizona, dust just inherently coated every surface within 2 seconds of cleaning it:rolleyes: Carpeting only made it worse. Here in OR, we've been renting a basement apartment with thick carpet and I suspect the dust just comes down the vents and settles in said carpet:31: Did I mention how much I hate carpet lol?

You would think with Oregon being a "wetter" environment than Arizona that it would be less "dusty" but I find dust is back on everything within a couple hours of dusting! I also vacuum almost every day (at least the living room and office) and get a full canister every time!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I just cannot fathom where all that "dust" comes from
The bird/s definitely create dust. My cocky has an outdoor cage and an indoor cage. The dust in "her" room is ridiculous and definitely is from her, because it wasn't like that when she was in her other house. I've just bought some air filters to hopefully suck it up before it gets all over everything.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
No, I can usually keep the seeds safe without the extra security.

Most Reactions

Latest posts