Does anyone else own a Palm Cockatoo around here? It seems like I'm the only one.

Jul 25, 2012
Over there but not there :)
Parrots
Luci the Palm Cockatoo (giant sub-species)
Buddie the Lutino Budgie
Hi guys, Do you know if anyone here owns a palm? I myself have one giant sub-species (hooooooray for giants) Palm and was wondering what was previously stated? So do you? And if you do please send a friend request so we can discuss Palmies! Thanks! :):)

[EDIT] TO ANSWER QUESTIONS :)
Hi everybody!
To answer your questions No the can no longer be imported, They cost about 15 grand and over 30 grand if you get a giant sub species, sorry but I will not tell you the breeder because he is now in Canada and I will not state where I live for personal reasons (advice from my best friend)
Conuregirl Palmies are very playful nice and very cuddly despite their size, the giant sub-species are an average of 5 inches larger than the normal version and seem to be more social and more loving for younger children. Also Palms are rare everywhere even in their home land. Overall I hope I answered all your questions and have a nice day!
Also to make this clear (lol) Palm cockatoos have the brain power of an 8 year old child compared to 5 year age of a Hyacinth or AGP (african grey parrot (congo) ) OOOO I put parenthatheesesese or however you spell that in more parathatheseserse ;)

Last edited:

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I do not but they are, along with a galah, on my wish list. I envy you, and am soooo happy you are on the forum so that i can live through you. Everyone always dreams of the hyacinth, not me - i have always drooled over the black palms...you are so lucky!

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
what are palms like? cuddly, loud, friendly, likes a lot of people, playful? i've seen a palm once but they are very rare where i am. i'm curious what they are like. i read some stuff about them online but it mostly describes the wild ones.

i dont't thnk we have any palms or as i just noticed, toucans, either! i'd love hear where you got, what made you buy, and what it's like to keep. i have always been interested in all kinds of parrots. i sort of want a toucanet or a palm! the palm looks like a punk rocker, lol

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I don't know of anywhere where you can buy this bird... Was it imported? They only exist in the wild in northern Queenland and surrounding islands...

Where do you live? I don't need your address.... lol

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
My mom told me that about 30 years ago my grandmother was trying to import a pair to breed and it was nearly impossible, I can't imagine how it is or how much it could be now. They are really neat though, I'd love to meet one some day.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I have a friend on another forum who has a Palm named Mystic! They are such beautiful birds!

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I don't believe they can be imported anymore? I do know that there are several breeding pairs in the states, you just have to know where to look. Oh and you have to have $$$$$$ for them to.

They are like having all of the good qualities of a Too, without the bad ones and they are supposed to be the most intelligent parrot out there. At least thats what I have gathered from the very very few that I have met (only like 3). I want one (if you could hear that sentence out loud, it would be whiny high pitched, accompanied by arms folded and a pouty face).

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
They are available here . Tere was ne in the store where I got Stella from.
What a beautiful bird , so regal looking !
This one was a total sweetheart , very very sweet :)
In fact , all the birds I held there were sooo very sweet and gentle :)

I also saw the Toucanette (?) what a amazing looking bird !
If I were to get another bird ( not ) if I didn't get a CAG , I would love to get one of those.
Not sure really which one of the smaller species it was , but it was adorable , lolol.
Maybe in my next life :)

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
My hubby would love a Palm :) But thats a good down payment for a car lol

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I have only ever seen palm cockatoos in zoos, and boy are they ever majestic birds! Your pretty lucky to interact with one on a day to day basis. Since they aren't really the typical parrots you'd see in a domestic home, are they pretty different from other parrots social wise, or pretty on par with other birds? Also, do they eat special diets?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
There's another member that have a pair. I haven't seen her post very much, she's probably busy with her babies.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Palms are amazing.

Strangely enough, here the hyacinth is at about 48k, which puts them at a higher price tag than the palms. :p Though, the prices could have changed, OR I was looking at US pricing.

The main reason of their high price tag is how LONG it takes before they are sexually mature, they only have one-three eggs per clutch, and they don't lay every year. I heard of once case where one female didn't lay her first egg until she was in her 50s! Crazy.

If I ever do get one though, I'd be keeping it in a large free-flight aviary. :) Absolutely beautiful. And their "he-ooo" is SO cute!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eicdz4eKcjU]Parrots in the Land of Oz: Hello, Palm Cockatoo! - YouTube[/ame]

Bluemoonlvr

Jun 3, 2012
Parrots
Taz - Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Lacey - Goffin's Cockatoo, Pikachu & Roo - Cockatiels
I wish I had the money for one :( A pet store down the street has a beautiful boy and they said that you can only get him if you have a female palm to. They have had him forever though. They said he is about 50 years old. If only I had 20,000 dollars to have 2 Black Palms :D But you are one lucky gal to own one.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Congrats! I've always wanted one, your lucky.

Most Reactions