Does anyone had any ideas about this?

PamnJay

Mar 31, 2022
ST. Croix, Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
Ozzy the 6 year old male Eclectus and Taz the 2 year old male White-faced Cockatoo
Hi,

We are getting concerned. Yesterday Ozzy was screaming and screeching to the point we were ready to leave the house, (we didn't), even with earplugs in. We took some advice about Ozzy's cage location, being in front of windows can freak birds out sometimes so we drew the curtains between his cage and the window so he can't see outside. We also put him in his cage and shut the door and he calmed down very quickly. With the current layout of the house, we have no other good place to put him where there are no windows and so he is around us as we want him to be part of the family. We don't want to put him in one of the spare bedrooms either because that defeats the point.

Tonight, he was sitting on his cage preening after he ate his supper. We were out today so they birds were in the cages while we were out. All of a sudden, he took off flying around, banged into the microwave and then the back of the couch and ended up under the table. I went to sit with him and after a few minutes of soft talking to him, he stepped up on my hand and then took off again. More talking and he got on my wife's hand, he took off again, crashed into the tv and landed in a toy box of stuffies. The entire time he was flying he was making this super high pitched sound repeatedly. We got him into his cage and he started making the sound again. We took a video of it linked below. He has made this noise before, but only a couple times in a row, never like this. If anyone has any ideas or knows what this sound means please let us know.

Thanks,

J

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Sounds like my conure when she just got really spooked by something even if the object was standing still. Once she was making that sound because a squirrel was staring at her. And flew like nobody's business. Ozzy may have had that sort of experience maybe?

OP
PamnJay

PamnJay

Mar 31, 2022
Parrots
Ozzy the 6 year old male Eclectus and Taz the 2 year old male White-faced Cockatoo
Sounds like my conure when she just got really spooked by something even if the object was standing still. Once she was making that sound because a squirrel was staring at her. And flew like nobody's business. Ozzy may have had that sort of experience maybe?
I could see him getting startled once and flying about but not three times in a row and starting from different locations. He also generally squawks when he gets startled, not that high pitched, skull splitting sound.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its possibly his alarm call.
In the video it kinda looked like he wanted to come back out.

We've got a lot of active ekkie owners. So I look forward to their thoughts when they find your thread.

OP
PamnJay

PamnJay

Mar 31, 2022
Parrots
Its possibly his alarm call.
In the video it kinda looked like he wanted to come back out.

We've got a lot of active ekkie owners. So I look forward to their thoughts when they find your thread.
He just got in his cage at that point and wouldn't come out, and would take anything to eat. He is calmer now but I too am looking forward to comments from more experienced owners :)

J

Keatz

Jan 5, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Oscar (eclectus)
Basil (Amazon)
It sounds like his contact call. He's calling out to his flock, which is you.
As for him flying around, banging into things, it kind of sounds like something in the room spooked him. It could be something really innocuous too, like a furniture item that has been moved or something else out of place. It could be seemingly nothing. They frighten really easily.
My eclectus won't come into my room anymore because something in it is scaring him. He keeps looking at the top of the wardrobe but nothing, as far as I can tell, has changed. When I bring him in, he's desperate to fly out.
Other than that, I don't know what else it could be.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
There might be just a little difference in your surroundings that is scaring him. For example, I just turned on the AC and now I have a mobile/kite that moves a little bit. My guys are definitely watching it but not screeching. They were more alert the first day but now they are used to it.

My Quaker also sees things outside BLOCKS AWAY and decides that they are scary. So if he’s making a scared or angry noise, I try to see what is upsetting him outside. There’s usually a reason. I have had to move a bird away from the window because it was just too upsetting (construction crane) and I hear about it when the garbage truck with mechanical arm empties the grocery store dumpster next door.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh yeah. My guy makes exactly that noise, which is way more pleasant than his "I know you're here, pay attention to me RIGHT NOW and don't you dare walk away without me" scream. That one is brutal. It makes my dogs howl, which he thinks is funny and screams more. :( Seems much worse this spring for us. My schedule has been extra busy lately, and that's played a part in his sleep schedule, so I'm hoping it calms down as I get back to normal around here.

Now, that noise in your video...When Tucker started doing it, I wondered if his previous owners were "Psycho" fans. That's exactly how it sounds to me. I always feel the need to look over my shoulder and see if Norman Bates is behind me with the big knife lol.

So that said, I agree it's likely a contact call for Ozzy. Also, how is his sleep schedule?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
THAT is an alarm call. Like: high alert! Pay attention! Sounds like a smoke alarm BBC and for good reason. The function is “hey you! Danger! Fire! Zombies! Snakes! Hats!”.

That noise is quite universal among parrots. I didn’t play it before because my birds aren’t Eclectus. But hearing the recording was enough to scare my guys. They’re very quiet now.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I've never heard my Ekkie make this noise. Interesting... So it's a contact call noise? Do you have two birds? Was he possibly calling out looking for the other one?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Parker does this too. For him, it’s a desperate contact call. His primary calls are whistles and assorted human speech. Failing that, he might give a true, two-pulsed scream “ACK ACK!” If we ignore that and he’s feeling particularly desperate, he’ll let loose with this same psycho-themed shriek heard here.

Most Reactions

Latest posts