Does flooding help tame a bird?

philthegreat1x1

Feb 18, 2023
Parrots
Soon to be ringneck owner
Would trimming a birds wings make it tame and not afraid of being handled? So that by the time the wings grow back, the the bird is more tame than before? Also, does holding the bird with a leather glove help make it tame because he will no longer view you as a threat after a while?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum!
Flooding is forcing your bird to do what you want because they have no choice. It's much better to teach them do what you want through respect. If you respect their them, they will respect you much more than if they fear you.

Some people do find a light clip will help with training, but only if they aren't taught to fear you.

Here is a link on bonding with your bird, and I think you will find the process and results more rewarding even if it takes a bit longer:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

Are you bringing home an adult or a baby IRN?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Welcome to the forum!
Flooding is forcing your bird to do what you want because they have no choice. It's much better to teach them do what you want through respect. If you respect their them, they will respect you much more than if they fear you.

Some people do find a light clip will help with training, but only if they aren't taught to fear you.

Here is a link on bonding with your bird, and I think you will find the process and results more rewarding even if it takes a bit longer:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

Are you bringing home an adult or a baby IRN?
I would never try to tame a bird by traumatizing him. Doesn't it sound like Stockholm syndrome?

Most Reactions

Latest posts