Timed feedings lead to tame and less fearful bird?

swong66666

May 25, 2022
Parrots
None yet.
I’m going to get an adult bird and does timed feedings help tame birds to the point that they are no longer scared of you?

Another option if I have to leave food available all the time is to have my bird wear a harness so that it will become time after realizing that I am not a threat.

I would like to point out that I will not clip the wings as that is cruel. I know some of you will be upset at my techniques but just remember I will not clip their wings.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
First leave food out. Make a show of providing it though, and talking to them as you refill bowls. Every morning I refill all the bowls and talk to them before work. Water and food. I replace the water and add more food when I'm home from work.

Do NOT just leave a harness on your bird. It can choke or helplessly entangle itself like a dog on a chain that keeps running around the clothes line pole and can no longer reach it's water dish. Only have a harness on if you are present. It will eventually entangle on something.

What type of bird?

By reading this it seems like you are assuming the bird will not like you. It may not be a good idea to get that bird if "this" is your mindset going into it.

I'm just being honest. My job, the sites job, is the bird advocate.

OP
S

swong66666

May 25, 2022
Parrots
None yet.
First leave food out. Make a show of providing it though, and talking to them as you refill bowls. Every morning I refill all the bowls and talk to them before work. Water and food. I replace the water and add more food when I'm home from work.

Do NOT just leave a harness on your bird. It can choke or helplessly entangle itself like a dog on a chain that keeps running around the clothes line pole and can no longer reach it's water dish. Only have a harness on if you are present. It will eventually entangle on something.

What type of bird?

By reading this it seems like you are assuming the bird will not like you. It may not be a good idea to get that bird if "this" is your mindset going into it.

I'm just being honest. My job, the sites job, is the bird advocate.
Stop being nasty. If you are an animal activist you can block traffic all day or run out onto the court during a basketball game. I specifically said that I will not clip the wings!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Stop being nasty. If you are an animal activist you can block traffic all day or run out onto the court during a basketball game. I specifically said that I will not clip the wings!

I didn't say clip wings at all....didn't even mention it. I just said don't use a harness unless you are with the bird.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Looks like a misunderstanding in the comments above - no one has suggested wing clipping.

I agree that you should not leave a harness on a bird all the time and you should only try harness training once your bird is very comfortable with you.

Your bird should always have access to food, but giving them a favorite treat is a great way to build a bond and trust!

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Time and patience is what teaches a bird you're not a threat.
My galah started out hissing and screaming at the very sight of me. Now I can pet his head, play with his feet and recently he loves a kiss on the head too. It's been over a year to get to this point, but was well worth it.
Now I am working with my parent-raised aviary Slaty head. I plan to do basically the same, just time and patience.

Most Reactions

Latest posts