Does my cockatiel have PBFB?

T.k

Sep 10, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hey guys . Hope you all are having a great day

It's been 2 years since i hot my cockatiel
Since then she couldn't fly because her wings were so weak and she didn't have enough feather to do so
I took her to a vet and he told me it was her immune system and gave me some vitamins
My cockatiel took the vitamins regularly but it didn't work
And days after days her condition is getting worse and she loses more feathers and grows less
But she doesn't vomit blood and she breathes and eats well
What should i do?
Someone said i should put her down because they thought she was in pain
Please if you know something share it
I would appreciate it

OP
T

T.k

Sep 10, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
20220910_112808.jpg
this is her

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Oh wow she looks pretty rough, the best way to determine if she has PBFB is having your vet test her for it.
I don't know much about this disease.
@SailBoat @wrench13 @Cottonoid
I don't really know who to tag for this.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I agree that she needs to be seen again, by a different vet that is able to do tests to figure out what's going on with her feathers and skin.

I volunteer at a parrot sanctuary where some of the birds do have chronic illnesses, and with medication and diet changes they are happy and living pretty normal parrot lives, so even if she does have a disease as scary seeming as that one, good veterinary care will hopefully open up good options for her and you.

She definitely does have something going on though, even though she's pretty darn cute with her little reverse mohawk there (if she has a little bald spot there; I can't tell) :)

Please don't give up hope! I wouldn't jump to needing to euthanize her, especially without knowing what's wrong. Last month I saw a parrot on social media that was completely bald except for few little head feathers and little tail sprout, and with treatment he was doing all the normal parrot things you'd expect.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Looks very much like she’s plucking herself. Those shoulder feathers are about the easiest place to grab and pull.

SunnyCoconut2

Apr 24, 2023
Parrots
Two cockatiels
They have little cones for their neck so that she won't reach back and bite. For the irritation that's there certainly I would have an avian vet check it. In the meantime you can give her a warm bath keep her warm with some extra heat unless it's really hot Where you are. Get some fresh aloe vera and put a little on this chewed up wing to soothe it or make some dilute lavender water and lightly spritz her

Most Reactions

Latest posts