Does my parrot look okay?

parrotnewb

Dec 4, 2019
Hello! I would like some advice on my indian ringneck parakeet. I ahve noticed these black dots and a few black feathers on his tail and Iā€™m not sure why. I have tried searching the cause of this and it says bad diet. I feed my parrot pellets, a variety of vegetables such as sweetcorn, spinach, broccoli, peas, beans and the sort. Alongside some fruit such as berries, bananas and apples. He doesnā€™t really like veg but I make sure he eats some everyday. I sprinkle them with chia seeds and he seems to enjoy it more. Am I doing something wrong? He seems absolutely fine, just his usual self but if I am missing something Iā€™d like to improve that. I feed him 1/2 nuts broken into tiny pieces as a treat when I train him also. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Attachments

• 3940F3AF-2856-4BCA-872F-076FB689A7AC.jpeg
    3940F3AF-2856-4BCA-872F-076FB689A7AC.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 7A893A06-45E4-4276-A37E-387746FDC236.jpeg
    7A893A06-45E4-4276-A37E-387746FDC236.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 98

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi? what pellet brand does he eat and how much of it is part of the diet? And how often does he get fruit?

OP
P

parrotnewb

Dec 4, 2019
Hi? what pellet brand does he eat and how much of it is part of the diet? And how often does he get fruit?
He gets fed pellets once a day and I feed him around a quarter cup of them? And he eats most of it. I feed him around 4 small apple pieces, one strawberry, and one small banana slice. The brand of pellets is ā€˜Topā€™s parrot food, Mini pellets for hookbillsā€™

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
He's on a pretty okay diet but try feeding a little less fruit, it's high in sugar and makes a good treat. Vegetables are better.
See what your vet has to say.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
He gets fed pellets once a day and I feed him around a quarter cup of them? And he eats most of it. I feed him around 4 small apple pieces, one strawberry, and one small banana slice. The brand of pellets is ā€˜Topā€™s parrot food, Mini pellets for hookbillsā€™
hmm.. Top's is a very good brand so nothing wrong with the pellets... But I think he has a bit too much fruit. My recommendation is to get him too eat veggies. I found a video on how to get them to eat veg:

OP
P

parrotnewb

Dec 4, 2019
hmm.. Top's is a very good brand so nothing wrong with the pellets... But I think he has a bit too much fruit. My recommendation is to get him too eat veggies. I found a video on how to get them to eat veg:
thank you so much!! Iā€™ll have a look, he is so so stubborn haha!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I agree, less fruit and if you must give fruit, vary it some so he gets different vitamin nutrients. Kiwi, grapes, blue berries, black berries, Mango and other safe fruits can be put into the line up. Each has its own make up. My vet says like 1 or 2 grapes at most and other fruits in equal measure. Sugary fruits and veggies like corn that have easily metabolized sugars all amp up parrot behavior. Veggies - vary the presentation - chunks, chopped, finely chopped and even whole, like hot peppers, will entice him to try. And be persistent - it can take a LONG time to transition to veggies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts